Nordic skating (FIN, SWE, NOR, DEN, ISL) | Page 17 | Golden Skate

Nordic skating (FIN, SWE, NOR, DEN, ISL)

Country
Norway
It looks like there is a good bunch of seniors women in Norway at the moment. I just saw the entries for Tallinn Hotell Cup and along with Frida Berge and Linnea Kilsand - Ida Vamnes and Pernille With are going there as well on their first senior competition ever.

Well Ida is kinda expected, she has been competing in juniors since 20/21 season so it´s time for her to move up to seniors. She will actually be 19 this year so that makes a lot of sense, I´m not sure she even can compete in juniors next season. She probably have been staying in juniors a little bit longer because she had so many breaks with injuries.

However I wasn´t expecting Pernille to go to seniors already, since she only has been competing in juniors for one season. But she is older than I expected, she is born in 2007 so she is old enough for the new senior age.

I briefly mentioned that Pernille has been injured for months and been of training and wasn´t sure if she would be a candidate for JWC this season. Well it seems she finally started training again after Christmas and she is still on the entries for Norwegian Nationals, so it seems she will be competing the rest of the season. I hope the injury hasn´t taken her so far back. She was just really getting comfortable with the lutz and seemed to be going for 3Lz-3T combo. It will be really interesting if Pernille does this combination in competition before Mia.

So, Linnea, Frida, Pernille, Ida, Mia, Kaia Kleven - it will be the strongest senior field we ever had I think. I also think Oda Havgar will need to go to senior soon as well, she will also be 19 this year.

Edit: Maybe Pernille is not old enough for seniors next season? She is born 17.08.2007, she might needed to be 17 before 1th of July?

Country
Norway
Correct, the deadline is July 1st, so you have to turn 17 before then.
Well, I just checked the Federations website and it says Pernille and Ida are going to Talilnn Hotells Cup as juniors not seniors. I´m not sure why they are listed with the senior entries, there must be a mix up. There is no reason for Pernille to do a senior competition now when she can´t compete in senior next year.

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Here is a list of entries 2024 second part of the season

Worlds is missing because selections will be made latest in the end of February and skaters have opportunities to increase their SBs on competitions before it.

The list of two best scores is updated too.

Makar in men and Emmi and some others are missing from the list because they don't have the minimums. Both Makar and Emmi are still missing the FS. Oona is still missing the SP.

As I think no one can score 200+ which probably will be needed to make it to top10, I don't still care very much who gets the spot. If Emmi could skate clean two programs, she could score 185-190. Other's capacity is not much over 180 by two clean skates.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
This is a long shot I know, but thought I would try anyway.

I have just been watching the coverage of this morning's skating at the Youth Olympics, and I know who the male comentator is (Scottish Alpine Skier Graham Bell). But, nobody seems to know who the female commentator is.

Her name is Petra, and when Graham introduced her at the start of the coverage, her surname sounded like "Windl" to my ears.

What I have picked up from things she said during the coverage is that she is a former skater turned coach.

I was working on the assumption that she is Czech / Slovak (I always think of those countries when I hear the name "Petra"), or from a German speaking country (her surname sounded German to me, hence how I spelt it). But, she mentioned later in the coverage that she has a friend that lives in Uppsala. So, she might be Finnish (I keep forgetting that "Petra" is also a common Finnish name), or coaching in Finland.

With this in mind, I thought I would ask if any of you were able to shed any light on her.

All I know is that she is rather harsh, and talks too much during programmes.

CaroLiza_fan

TT_Fin

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Uppsala is in Sweden. Sone Finns go to Uppsala University, though.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Uppsala is in Sweden. Sone Finns go to Uppsala University, though.

Oops! :slink:

Well, nevermind anyway. I have just got to the end of the thread, and somebody told us who she was. She is Petra Bindl, a German roller skater.

CaroLiza_fan

Country
Norway
Norwegian Nationals was this weekend and there were some really interesting results

Senior women:

1. Mia Risa Gomez 169.91
2. Kaia Kleven 140.92
3. Linnea Kilsand 139.32

Junior women:

1. Oda Havgar 127.91
2. Pernille With 120.62
3. Ida Vamnes 111.91

Junior women:

Oda Havgar was able to get the junior title for the third time in a row despite not having competed all season. I´m not sure the reason. She only did 2 triples in the FS and not with great success, one was UR and one got bad GOE. Despite that her lead from the SP and overall performance was enough to take the title again as the other skaters wasn´t clean either.

As I mentioned Pernille With has been out with injury for months and just started to train very recently. I wasn´t even sure she would be at Nationals. She skated with a watered down content. In her SP she only did 2Lz and 3S-2T as combo, but she was clean and scored 40 points. In her FS she had a bad start on the two opening elements and no 2A-3T today. After the bad start she successfully delivered 3 other triples two of them in combos, which was enough for her to take the silver. I think she is pleased with the result considering all the time she had off ice but it´s far from what she can deliver and no lutz and flip which she just started to introduce in her program in JGP. So she had a little set back.

As I mentioned only Pernille and Mia has the minimums for JrWorlds now and Oda doesn´t have any upcoming international competitions. But with the watered down content and coming back from injury I´m not sure it´s a good idea to send Pernille. So i´m really curious what they will do now. It says the selection will be decided after Nordics.

I´m not sure if it´s a coincidence or not, but Mia was supposed to go to Challenge Cup but she is not on the entries there, she also pulled out of Tallinn Hotell Cups. I´m wondering if it might be a sign that they will send her to JWC because the two competitions are close to JWC, but as I mentioned before she does not really fill the selection criteria because she only did one junior competition this season.

Senior women:

First of all, Mia defended her title from last year and the others did not stand a chance after the FS. The fruits of her coaching change to Agnes Zawadski is starting to show.

Her SP: 3F-3T< (fall), 3Lz, 2A, level 4 on spins and stepseq.3. Score: 56.45 points. It´s the first time Mia tried a 3F-3T combo so she is challenging her layout. Even with the fall she scored very decent in the SP. Given that her 3T-3T hasn´t been working this season I actually think it´s a smart decision for her to try for 3F-3T, also I think if she wants to play it safe she could just do a double after the flip because the flip looked great.

Linnea had a great SP with only a fall on the axel and she scored 55.05, so it was really tight after the SP.

Kaia Kleven delivered the cleanest SP but with lighter content, 3S-2T, 3T, 2A and really great performance, her SP is really cool, she scored 51.33 points which also was a new PB for her.

Frida did not have her best SP and scored 44 points and was in 4th.

So after the SP it was very tight between the top 3 and Linnea could even challenge Mia for the title.

Kaia did not have a clean FS, she had a few stumbles, but she got all the elements done and maxed her content with 3 triples in her FS, but they were all around. She only jumps 3S and 3T. Despite that it´s very impressive she was able to score a 140 in total and even with some negative GOE because of stumbles.

It could have been an easy match for Linnea, she started well but then things went sought, she popped some jumps and had some falls, which is the reason she just fell behind Kaia in the result and only took the bronze. Linnea needs to work with e mental coach because this is not the first time.

Mia really smashed her FS with a really difficult layout: 3Lz-2T, 3Lzq (fall), 3F, 3Lo, 3S, 3T-2A, 2A-seq-3S. The only mistake was the fall on the second lutz and her salchow in the last sequence got called but still she got over 7 points for that combination alone, so there were some really smart layout content because the last two combos gave her 9 points and over 7 points each. She got level 4 on all spins, but only a stepseq 2, so she could still improve her points more. She got a TES of 61.85 and even with mistakes. If she is able to to go clean it seems her scoring potential with this layout would be around 65 points.

And her total score of 169.91 is of course both a new PB and a new Norwegian record for ladies, if she didn´t fall on the lutz and went clean in the SP she would have passed 170 points.

Kaia really impressed me and I really hope she gets more international competitions now, she was able beat both Frida and Linnea now. On the Feds webpage it says Kaia is a sub for Nordics but the entries list suggest she is going along with Mia, Linnea and Frida. I really hope she is because she deserves it.

I think the Norwegians can do well in Nordics this year but we will see how they will manage back to back competitions. It´s a shame it´s so close so they might be at disadvantage but we will see. At least it´s in Sweden so not that long travel.

Last edited:
Country
Norway
As I mentioned only Pernille and Mia has the minimums for JrWorlds now and Oda doesn´t have any upcoming international competitions. But with the watered down content and coming back from injury I´m not sure it´s a good idea to send Pernille. So i´m really curious what they will do now. It says the selection will be decided after Nordics.

I´m not sure if it´s a coincidence or not, but Mia was supposed to go to Challenge Cup but she is not on the entries there, she also pulled out of Tallinn Hotell Cups. I´m wondering if it might be a sign that they will send her to JWC because the two competitions are close to JWC, but as I mentioned before she does not really fill the selection criteria because she only did one junior competition this season.

So I was right, Mia pulling out of Challenge Cup is because she is going to both JWC and WC :jump::jump: And Pernille is a sub. for JWC.

Daniil Valanov is also selected for JWC as expected.

https://www.skoyteforbundet.no/nyheter/2024/uttak-mesterskap-kunstlop/

They must have made an exception this season because of special circumstances. I don´t think it would have been good sending Pernille just coming back from injury and watered down content and low chances of qualifying for the final. It would probably not be the experience she wanted and i´m sure Pernille will get a chance later.

I´m happy they did this decision because this gives Norway a chance to qualify for the final and get more spots for JWC next season.

The timeline is also better this season to be doing both JWC and WC. It´s around 3 weeks between. Only thing i´m worried about is that Mia is going to Sonja Henie Trophy the week after JWC. Since it´s the first ISU competition in Norway in a while I guess she really wants to go, but I hope they consider pulling her out if she is too tired. She has to deal with a lot of jet lag as well going first to Taipei and then later to Canada.

At the same time, WC might not be so important this season - she has far better chances to place higher in JWC. As last season it will be tough to qualify for the final at Worlds, particular as a lower ranked skater. Next season though with qualifying spots for OG is much more important, she would have more time with her new coach Agnes and might have climbed more on the rankings. So i´m certain this is her last real chance of doing JWC. (I think she is still young enough to do JWC next season since she turned 18 in December).

Last edited:

TT_Fin

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I just checked Challenge Cub entries. Only Oona is going in seniors. So Emmi is out from worlds because of missing FS minums. Nella is still leading and Janna and Olivia have both minimums. Oon needs almost 190 to get the spot. I don't think she can do it. She also needs SP minimums, with clean skate it is possible. Olivia is the first substitute at the moment.

Country
Norway
I just checked Challenge Cub entries. Only Oona is going in seniors. So Emmi is out from worlds because of missing FS minums. Nella is still leading and Janna and Olivia have both minimums. Oon needs almost 190 to get the spot. I don't think she can do it. She also needs SP minimums, with clean skate it is possible. Olivia is the first substitute at the moment.
Emmi is going to Sonja Henie Trophy in the beginning of March, it´s after the deadline for Worlds but she will have one more competition this season. She was added on the list after the deadline. I guess she decided to go when she knew she wasn´t going to Worlds. Also Emmi is a good friends with Sondre, so I guess she partly wants to do this competition to spend some time with him.

There are some other Finns going as well. She can probably win the senior women event, since it´ isn´t the strongest field. Other notable names for podium is Alexandra Feigin and Lara Naki Gutmann!

SubRosa

I love Lussi
Final Flight
Country
Canada
Belated congratulations to Iida Karhunen for her 4th place finish at Junior Worlds last week! Her placement qualifies Finland to 14 entries on the JGP next season. I suspect Finland will have no trouble filling those slots: Karhunen, Lahti, Trubitson, Artimo, who else can we look forward to?

TT_Fin

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Belated congratulations to Iida Karhunen for her 4th place finish at Junior Worlds last week! Her placement qualifies Finland to 14 entries on the JGP next season. I suspect Finland will have no trouble filling those slots: Karhunen, Lahti, Trubitson, Artimo, who else can we look forward to?
Janna Jyrkinen and Olivia Lisko would still be age eligible, but they have skated only seniors last two seasons. There are also some promising novices who are age eligible next season in juniors, I think Venla Sinisalo is one of them. Rosa Reponen has been off all the season, I suppose injury, because nothing else is told and she is on the list of national team members. Pihla Bergman is born 2006, she has been skating both in juniors and seniors and was also 2nd sub to JWC based on season's result. So there are plenty of alternatives to choose. I suppose the Fed will prefer to send national team skaters. Skaters who have had good season get the spot in national team automatically - there are some minimum demands, scores and skaters must be able to do some triple jumps - most skaters are but I suppose this will be checked when skaters turn from novices to juniors - and then what I have understood Fed has a camp at summer where they make the rest of the choices. I almost forgot Karina Innos, who was 3rd at nationals in juniors. She is also born 2008.

Last edited:

TT_Fin

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I checked, Venla will be 13 on March. I am not sure has Finland send so young skaters to JGP but I and some others of us saw her SP at Sonia Henie Trophy and she is talented and challenging the others next year, I suppose she will skate in junior level at least and nationals.

It is an interesting trend how there are now good skaters at national level coming from not the biggest towns club's and mostly train at home (in parentheses is the current population according to town's own ): Venla and Daria Trubitson, Rauma (39 006), Arttu Juusola, Pori (83 117, 10th biggest in Finland), Janna and Iida, Lappeenranta (73 016), Makar Suntsev, Kotka (51 869). I wrote clubs because some of them live even at smaller localities than where they train. As I have told several times, Finland has almost 300 arenas, but has also Ice hockey teams (the amount is probably near 2000) and about 200 synchro teams, so there are users too. Those numbers include also different age and skill levels at same clubs.

TT_Fin

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Well, I woke up early so I had time to tell and can continue now before I must go who will be accepted to Finland's national team as I promised at competition thread. I found it a little bit "by accident" when searching something else.

Criterians 2023-2024 in Finnish

These scores must be received in some competition:

Junior girls, minimum 135 (seniors-5 are accepted)
Junior boys, minimum 160 (seniors-5 are accepted)
Women minimum 155
Men minimum 185

All skaters who have reached minimums for JWC (juniors), EC or WC are selected automatically to national team, also in case they have not reached to scores above. Arttu Juusola for example has EC - if ISU does not raise it a lot - and he is in safe even he will turn 19 soon and cannot skate in juniors anymore, though he has not reached the total scores above - Edit. I checked, Arttu is born 10th July 2005, so is he able to skate in juniors next season? Was the date limit 1st July?

Those are decided for one season on time and can be different next season.

Last edited:

SubRosa

I love Lussi
Final Flight
Country
Canada
I checked, Arttu is born 10th July 2005, so is he able to skate in juniors next season? Was the date limit 1st July?

Yes, he turns 19 after 1 July 2005, so he is good for juniors for next season.

Finnish junior (and one advanced novice) women who scored over 135 this year:

Karhunen (186.32 Junior Worlds)
Lahti (151.14 JGP Japan)
Artimo (146.20 Nordics)
Trubitson (145.82 Sonja Henie)
Sinisalo (140.45 Sonja Henie - Advanced Novice)
Innos (139.03 Finnish Nationals)
Bergman (136.99 Volvo Open)
Bergstrom (136.07 Santa Claus Cup)

ETA:
Skate Malmö is starting today and there are entries from a number of different countries, mostly Nordics skaters but there are also skaters from US, Belgium, UK, Switzerland etc., in some of the categories.

Result page: https://skate.webbplatsen.net/23-24/70792/html/index.htm

Wow, Nora Coppens skated two events over three days (novice pairs and women). Well done!

Country
Norway

All the Nordic women skaters delivered in the SP and qualified for the free, what a great achievement :hap10::hap10:

I don´t have the statistic, but wonder when it was the last time it happen with 3 Nordics ladies? Since this is the first time since 2015 Norway advanced to the free it must be at least 9 years since!