2015 US Nationals Senior Pairs SP Jan 22 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2015 US Nationals Senior Pairs SP Jan 22

mice

On the Ice
A couple of jump bobbles for Donlan and Bartholomay. Be interesting to see where they place.

sbaker

On the Ice
D/B make a good pair, need some time to gel. Plus he missed a lot of training time with his foot surgery. Lovely personalities and spins! Other elements a little rougher, a little nervous looking, but no huge mistakes. Her landings were scratchy. 59.81

sbaker

On the Ice
I loooove Maddie and Max, and this program for them. She was a bit forward on the throw landing and he fell on his 3sal :(

Lovely lift, spins, death spiral. Her back is gorgeous. Nice presentation, but cautious. 56.45 :no:

Last edited:

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
I agree with the standings (S/K, D/F, C/T, and K/O) but I do think the score differential for the first two teams is too large. Still, overall, this was a fun event to watch. Those top 4 all delivered lovely programs. I'll be rooting for all of them in the free skate.

Last edited:

sbaker

On the Ice
I agree with the standings (S/K, D/F, C/T, and K/O) but I do think the score differential for the first two teams is too large. Still, overall, this was a fun event to watch. Those top 4 all delivered lovely programs. I'll be rooting for all of them in the free skate.

Agreed! It was a great event. The battle for bronze is gonna be a good one :rock:

SashaJuliaSpins

Final Flight
I loooove Maddie and Max, and this program for them. She was a bit forward on the throw landing and he fell on his 3sal :(

Lovely lift, spins, death spiral. Her back is gorgeous. Nice presentation, but cautious. 56.45 :no:

Oh I see, so that was what happened (I saw the score first :slink:)

QLutz

On the Ice
is there a stream for short programs besides icenetwork? i looked in the streams/broadcast board but it is 11+ pages~!

tjskate

Rinkside
Fun watching this (on IceNetwork), I'm encouraged to see how good our pairs look! I also think John Coghlin did a really good job as commentator - very informative!

slider11

Medalist
Wow...impressive short programs by the US pairs. Sciemeca and Knierim have improved vastly as have Denney and Frazier. The scores may have the national inflation factor but they were both strong skates and I think would rank in the top 10 Worlds. But the pair that really caught my eye was Donlan and Bartholomay. I was really disappointed when Felicia Zhang retired and left Nathan without a partner. But Gretchen Donlan definitely has pairs skills and forms a dynamic team with Nathan. It's kinda chocolate (she's smooth and sweet) and he's salty ( athletic, macho presence). Together they are yummy! Can't wait for the LP.

Art&Sport

Medalist

Totally agree with you. I think Alexa and Chris should have been more in the 68 to 69 range of inflation. A score of 74 is way too high, as I don't think Alexa and Chris have as much style and panache as even Marissa and Mervin, and certainly not style and polish on a par with the top skaters in the world. Of the top two U.S. teams, I think Haven is an absolute star with line and grace, while Alexa is a gritty go-getter. Of course when they hit all their elements, both top U.S. teams should be competitive with the second tier in the World top ten.

It smells to me like powers that be have been won over by Alexa and Chris' quad twist and are favoring them for the win.

Last edited:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've read that after the event S/K said they'd attempt the 4Twist in FS no matter what the placement or score or lead would have been, because they need the experience for international competitions.

And, with that statement, they became my favorite US pair.

There are others at Nationals who could stand a kick in the pants to start performing internationally competitive content.

gold12345

Medalist
It's not just the quad twist (which already looks like a very good element for them). Scimeca & Knierim have one of the best triple twists and one of the best throw triple flips in the world. Denney & Frazier did an easier throw and generally have less amplitude on their elements. Also on some of the "less important" elements, S&K have an edge. Their death spiral, for example, was well done, while D & F both have issues with it- his posture and her knee bend. Both teams are great, but I think there's a distinct difference between them. While Nationals scoring tends to be inflated, D&F's marks were just as inflated as any of the others, if not more. One judge gave them +3 on nearly every element, including their SBS jumps and spins, which was probably the most unrealistic aspect of the protocol sheets for the top two teams. And they got credit for a Level 4 triple twist, when they really are doing a Level 3 one.

Both teams skated really well. It was especially nice to see S&K skate near their actual potential. Alexa has looked so tense in the past, but here she looked more calm and confident before they skated. Castelli&Tran looked strong in their debut. It will be interesting to see how their long program is coming along, as it was quite troublesome for them at US Sectionals. This was actually a pretty good competition overall especially given the US's history of not being quite as strong in pairs.

Last edited:

Art&Sport

Medalist
It has been for awhile now more excitement and competitiveness among U.S. pairs, so their showing in sp this year is not a surprise. So far, the teams have lived up to the excitement and anticipation.

lmarie086

Medalist
Thanks to everyone for the pbp! I'm hoping some videos make their way to YouTube before too long (and don't get taken down right away...).

So far, my guesses on the top 4 are correct; maybe not in the right order (I don't remember right at this moment) but all the teams. Hope it holds true in the LP!

MoonlightSkater

On the Ice
Fun watching this (on IceNetwork), I'm encouraged to see how good our pairs look! I also think John Coghlin did a really good job as commentator - very informative!

I agree! I thought the re-scrambled group of pairs teams actually looked quite good.

On a side note, I also loved the costumes... all of them!