2017 U.S. Nationals Championship Pairs FS | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2017 U.S. Nationals Championship Pairs FS

Plisskin

Medalist
D/F, C/L should fight it out at 4CC to decide who goes to Worlds with Alexa and Chris (if their looking good in test skate). USFSA probably won't be bold enough to do that though.

Giselle

Medalist
The more things change, the more they stay the same with US pairs and their SBS jumps, so frustrating!

SBS jumps are also Scimeca/Knierim's weakness :slink:

andromache

Record Breaker
Then again, I do see why USFS didn't want to risk having a first-year pairs team as National champions. Makes our pairs look pretty bad lol.

princessalica

Final Flight
Disappointed that Ashley and Tim didn't place higher, but I think that this was great for a first year, and I'm really excited to see what they do in the future. If they managed this in 7 months, what will we see in time for the Olympics? And also very impressed with Stellato and Bartholomay. And I think that how well both teams did, it will fuel their hunger for more.

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
Then again, I do see why USFS didn't want to risk having a first-year pairs team as National champions. Makes our pairs look pretty bad lol.
I honestly don't know how much worse that could have made it.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Sad they didn't get higher, but I am so excited that two new pairs got medals. Well done to Cain/LeDuc and Stellato-Dudek/Bartholomay.

s_parks

Record Breaker
Seriously rooting for D/F. Especially Haven, she's such a lovely skater and obviously not being able to jump at all for nearly a year isn't going to make things easy. Hope she regains more of her confidence and strength(and replace the axel with the 3t- somehow I doubt it's worse).

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Uffff D/F won

Still pissed that C/L got robbed of that Worlds spot :dev2:

World spots are not decided yet. According to new rules top5 at nationals are considered + skaters who did not compete may petition. Even the winners have not guaranteed spot to Worlds, though I can't imagine D/F not being sent, they have nice international results this season.

burntBREAD

Medalist
I feel like D/F (although their Senior career has been quite short thus far) tends to peak a bit early. Their two early GPs and Skate Detroit were excellent, and the more recent skates were mediocre. I hope they can have strong skates at 4CC and Worlds!

Plisskin

Medalist
I do disagree with some comments I've seen that Mervin and Marissa should split. That's one of the major problems why U.S. pairs never get anywhere. The positive thing about their 2nd place is maybe this will give them some confidence to be better and more consistent.

ozmodiar

On the Ice
Frankly, it doesn't matter who goes to worlds. The US just isn't going to place well enough to get 3 spots for the Olympics so they might as well just send the top two here.

tulosai

Record Breaker
World spots are not decided yet. According to new rules top5 at nationals are considered + skaters who did not compete may petition. Even the winners have not guaranteed spot to Worlds, though I can't imagine D/F not being sent, they have nice international results this season.

True but it's not like the new selection rules help Cain and LeDuc. The only pairs teams likely to really benefit from them are D/F (who won so they don't need the help) and S/K if they petition.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
C/L was my favorite, I thought they lost levels or had an invalidated element cause their score was so low....

And I just want to say that Mervin's deliciously handsome on the ice. Also, C/T looked the fastest to me. If they would just get their sht together, they would be amazing.

Alchamei

Record Breaker

I know this but the Nats results are still in Tier 1 and I'm used to the standard that whoever does best ar Nats is sent. It might be different this year, but C/L still deserve it more than C/T.

Last edited:

icellist

On the Ice
while I wanted D/F and C/L for gold and silver, people are forgetting that Mervin had a concussion at the end of summer that hampered their training.