Mariah Bell's 3A | Golden Skate

Mariah Bell's 3A

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Everyone seems to be 3a Cray-Cray these days. Threads are poppin up and girls are going for huge lofty super twisty axels. Mariah wants some of that sweet action for herself. Sure it's on a harness but I'm sure at some point they all were. Am I the only one hoping to see this go down?

Here it is....

https://instagram.com/p/zg0Y7ipymg/

.....thoughts?

Last edited:

TMC

Record Breaker
Everyone seems to be 3a Cray-Cray these days. Threads are poppin up and girls are going for huge lofty super twisty axels. Mariah wants some of that sweet action for herself. Sure it's on a harness but I'm sure at some point they all were. Am I the only one hoping to see this go down?

Here it is....

https://instagram.com/p/zg0Y7ipymg/

.....thoughts?

No way. I want this to happen soooooo much. I keep imagining her keeping the Titanic FS and opening some GP next year with a couple of "huge lofty super twisty (3)axels" and landing with that one-in-a-million smile after each :cheer:

GO MARIAH :rock:

Krunchii

Record Breaker
It would be cool if she brought it to competition, she's always been underrated by the judges and having a 3A would really raise her profile but I doubt we'll see it any time soon.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I thought it was a bit cheeky of Kori to not mentioned that it was a 3A. To be honest it was so clean and easy I convinced myself it was a double and I was just wishful thinking it into looking like a 3A.

I like seeing the ladies training for it, I think it is good for one another to have more than one trying it. I wonder how much Midori and Tonya benefited from knowing the other one was out there. And later we had two landed at Skate America one year. Now that it looks like a few are working on it, others are as well. Ill be interested in seeing who gets it.

I also sorta like the idea of Kori issuing a challenge to Mariah and Jason for first clean 3A of the season. Could be some good playful rivalry.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No way. I want this to happen soooooo much. I keep imagining her keeping the Titanic FS and opening some GP next year with a couple of "huge lofty super twisty (3)axels" and landing with that one-in-a-million smile after each :cheer:

GO MARIAH :rock:

I think I might explode!! <ka-friggin-boom>

LRK

Record Breaker
I thought it was a bit cheeky of Kori to not mentioned that it was a 3A. To be honest it was so clean and easy I convinced myself it was a double and I was just wishful thinking it into looking like a 3A.

I like seeing the ladies training for it, I think it is good for one another to have more than one trying it. I wonder how much Midori and Tonya benefited from knowing the other one was out there. And later we had two landed at Skate America one year. Now that it looks like a few are working on it, others are as well. Ill be interested in seeing who gets it.

I also sorta like the idea of Kori issuing a challenge to Mariah and Jason for first clean 3A of the season. Could be some good playful rivalry.

I definitely agree with this - the 3A has nearly become extinct, with only Mao bravely carrying the torch. It would be nice if the legacy was kept alive among the ladies.

iceberg

On the Ice
I like this 3A better! I prefer her to carry the legacy of Ito and Mao! Well atleast for now.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
It would be cool if she brought it to competition, she's always been underrated by the judges and having a 3A would really raise her profile but I doubt we'll see it any time soon.

Why do you doubt that? She clearly has the technique and a strong 2A. You mean you think she won't bring it to competition or she won't land it in competition any time soon?

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Why do you doubt that? She clearly has the technique and a strong 2A. You mean you think she won't bring it to competition or she won't land it in competition any time soon?

I'm all for women pushing the sport but for Mariah she needs to work on rotating her 3-3 first, even at Nationals with a lenient panel it got called. She had a good outing at Nationals but her internationals results need work, she needs more consistency first and when you bring out a monster like the 3A it can affect your other jumps and might be costly if she fails.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I'm all for women pushing the sport but for Mariah she needs to work on rotating her 3-3 first, even at Nationals with a lenient panel it got called. She had a good outing at Nationals but her internationals results need work, she needs more consistency first and when you bring out a monster like the 3A it can affect your other jumps and might be costly if she fails.

IMO, she needs to start training the 3A now if she wants to bring it out in competition over the next few seasons. Obviously she's working on her 3-3 at the same time.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
That's what I was thinking. She needs to have a reliable 3-3 first to be competitive. But if 3A is something easier for her, then go for it.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I'm sure she's not putting all her focus on it. Kori doesn't seem the type to do that. It's probably a fun challenge a way to mix things up.

She does do a lovely 2A-1L-3S sequence and I'm sure she'll keep working on the 3-3 as well.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker

All skaters are different. I don't think it is that far fetched that some skaters may have more luck (or comfort level) with one big move than a jump combination. They are different animals. Maybe toe jumps are not her thing and she is more of an edge jumper. Who knows.

3Z = 6.0
3T+3T = 8.2
3T+2T = 5.4
2A = 3.3
3A = 8.5 UR= 6

Her current layout (ignore bonuses) would be worth 17.5
If she were to do a 3A and a 3T+2T that would be worth 19.9, and if that works better for her what would be wrong with that? Heck, she likely could do a loop/flip+2T if she wanted to up it even more.

mnm464

On the Ice
Could this mean that it will basically be a requirement(unofficially) to win the 2018 or 2022 games or be competitive? Good job though!

sbaker

On the Ice
So happy to see her working on it... What a great start! I can never quite tell how much the harness is helping the skater... Do you guys think she is getting most of the lift on her own?

I wonder if Kori will have Tyler Pierce try it after Junior Worlds... I hope so, her 2A is huge! Would be a fun training challenge to have Bell and Pierce both working on it. Yay team Kori! :cheer:

mskater93

Record Breaker
She's moved from the track harness to a pole harness, so the help from the coach is a LOT less than even "no pull" from the coach on the track harness. The pole harness is more for helping a skater not hurt themselves on a bad fall because the physics and ability to help get into the air isn't like a track harness. Unless the skater is really tiny (like a 5 year old), they are supplying the lift on the pole harness, so good for Mariah

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Could this mean that it will basically be a requirement(unofficially) to win the 2018 or 2022 games or be competitive? Good job though!

Eventually it could go the way of the quad in that respect. I suspect some skaters might have more luck with a quad than a 3A, so it might be sorta an either or type thing. It is interesting that it is not juniors we are seeing try it, but rather it looks like some coaches may be in more of a try it when the skater is done with puberty. Maybe we will see Ashley working on it soon.

So happy to see her working on it... What a great start! I can never quite tell how much the harness is helping the skater... Do you guys think she is getting most of the lift on her own?

I wonder if Kori will have Tyler Pierce try it after Junior Worlds... I hope so, her 2A is huge! Would be a fun training challenge to have Bell and Pierce both working on it. Yay team Kori! :cheer:

I read somewhere that the pole guy does not, or is not supposed to really help you get lift or height off the ground, just help you stay up a little longer so you can get the rotations in and not hurt yourself. So in theroy she is getting most of the lift on her own, the harness is for getting that last little bit eeked out. I think the idea is letting the skaters learn how much force they need without falling on their asses to learn it.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
She's moved from the track harness to a pole harness, so the help from the coach is a LOT less than even "no pull" from the coach on the track harness. The pole harness is more for helping a skater not hurt themselves on a bad fall because the physics and ability to help get into the air isn't like a track harness. Unless the skater is really tiny (like a 5 year old), they are supplying the lift on the pole harness, so good for Mariah

so ummm what would be a laymanized description of the difference? Is the track harness attached to like the ceiling?