Mariah Bell's 3A | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Mariah Bell's 3A

noskates

Record Breaker
I REALLY like Mariah Bell and after watching her LP at Nats this year think she'll very soon be a force to be reckoned with. Unlike some of the other girls, she not only has the technical skills but also the presentation.

mskater93

Record Breaker
SM, in a word, yes. It has an overhead pully "track" system and pretty much goes down a straight line (either width or length wise). They are difficult to use because you can't really take things on a curve the way the system is designed and you have a short amount of leeway to either side of it (and they take up a lot of space when in use for everyone else). In a track harness, you can get some serious leverage from the coach on the other end and is usually used when introducing a jump so a skater gets the feel for hang time on a jump or take away the scariness of something new (usually single Axels, double Sals, and double Axels are where you see a lot of skaters in a track harness and early on in the development of those jumps) and coaches typically lighten the amount of pull they use over time until it's "no pull" or only taking up the slack. The pole harness doesn't get near the leverage unless it's a really tiny kid and the lift comes almost fully from the skater and is only intended to reduce the possibility of injury (I've seen people fall in a pole harness...)

mskater93

Record Breaker
I REALLY like Mariah Bell and after watching her LP at Nats this year think she'll very soon be a force to be reckoned with. Unlike some of the other girls, she not only has the technical skills but also the presentation.

She's always had the second mark. She first caught my eye as a Novice Lady because she has a very engaging skating style. :)

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
SM, in a word, yes. It has an overhead pully "track" system and pretty much goes down a straight line (either width or length wise). They are difficult to use because you can't really take things on a curve the way the system is designed and you have a short amount of leeway to either side of it (and they take up a lot of space when in use for everyone else). In a track harness, you can get some serious leverage from the coach on the other end and is usually used when introducing a jump so a skater gets the feel for hang time on a jump or take away the scariness of something new (usually single Axels, double Sals, and double Axels are where you see a lot of skaters in a track harness and early on in the development of those jumps) and coaches typically lighten the amount of pull they use over time until it's "no pull" or only taking up the slack. The pole harness doesn't get near the leverage unless it's a really tiny kid and the lift comes almost fully from the skater and is only intended to reduce the possibility of injury (I've seen people fall in a pole harness...)

Thank you. I love learning stuff like this.

So looking at the recent harness Axel attempts we have seen, I think most were pole.

Gracie (old but talked about)

Max 4A

Both look to be the pole harness.

Is Ashley Cain on the track harness you mention? It looks like he is pulling down from the ceiling.

Warwick360

Medalist
At this rate I fear we're going to have one new 3A thread each week. :shocked:

First Tuk - then Mirai- followed by Gold- and now this :laugh:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I said we were all getting 3a cray cray!!! I wasn't kidding.

I do think its interesting that it was Kori who put this out there. I don't really like using hash tags but I feel like everything related to team Kori deserves one. #craycrayaxels #teamkoro :)

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker

I do think its interesting that it was Kori who put this out there. I don't really like using hash tags but I feel like everything related to team Kori deserves one. #craycrayaxels #teamkoro :)

I like #teamKoRo personally as my favorite. I think it is often the coaches that put this stuff out. But still nice to see the coaches being supportive. Also interesting timing in that she did it this week, when Kori is likely focusing primarily on Tyler gearing up for junior worlds. I like seeing her spread the love so to speak. Bet we get a fun Jordan video just before worlds too.

And like Pokemon, I think it might end up being impossible to "catch em all" :biggrin:

unless you go through some convoluted ritual that is.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
IMO, she needs to start training the 3A now if she wants to bring it out in competition over the next few seasons. Obviously she's working on her 3-3 at the same time.
Well the thing is we don't know if she's planning on it, might have just been a fun thing. It would be cool if she brought it one day though but even hearing Liza talk about it I'm still apprehensive.

All skaters are different. I don't think it is that far fetched that some skaters may have more luck (or comfort level) with one big move than a jump combination. They are different animals. Maybe toe jumps are not her thing and she is more of an edge jumper. Who knows.

3Z = 6.0
3T+3T = 8.2
3T+2T = 5.4
2A = 3.3
3A = 8.5 UR= 6

Her current layout (ignore bonuses) would be worth 17.5
If she were to do a 3A and a 3T+2T that would be worth 19.9, and if that works better for her what would be wrong with that? Heck, she likely could do a loop/flip+2T if she wanted to up it even more.

She's been doing a 3Lz-2T (might be 3F, can't remember right now) in international competition I believe she's capable of that. Her jumps have a wonderful springy quality to them but she gets UR calls in international comps on her triples so I think she needs to work towards that first.

Maybe she should have stated that it was a 3A specifically to give Mariah a boost in reputation, she really needs it because I think she's so undermarked.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
She got good height on this jump. I wonder if it's because of the harness. Mariah always oozes happiness. I hope she can get this jump and become competitive.

Pepe Nero

On the Ice
I like this 3A better! I prefer her to carry the legacy of Ito and Mao! Well atleast for now.

Let's not erase Harding from history because of some off-ice foibles. Her 3A was in the quality neighborhood of Ito's and better than any more recent woman, including Asada.

Could this mean that it will basically be a requirement(unofficially) to win the 2018 or 2022 games or be competitive? Good job though!

Let's hope! I would love to see the judges push technical elements for the female figure skaters. I think the 3A in particular (i.e., more so than quads of other jumps) tends to be conceived as a "masculine" jump because of the aggressive, forward take-off, which is why judges historically have not loved the female figure skaters doing it. (Asada is the most successful of them, but her 3A was pretty femme compared to Ito's and Harding's. And the judges were nicer to her when she did a 2A instead.)

At this rate I fear we're going to have one new 3A thread each week. :shocked:

First Tuk - then Mirai- followed by Gold- and now this :laugh:

Why should this be feared?

Last edited:

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Let's hope! I would love to see the judges push technical elements for the female figure skaters. I think the 3A in particular (i.e., more so than quads of other jumps) tends to be conceived as a "masculine" jump because of the aggressive, forward take-off, which is why judges historically have not loved the female figure skaters doing it. (Asada is the most successful of them, but her 3A was pretty femme compared to Ito's and Harding's. And the judges were nicer to her when she did a 2A instead.)
I disagree, I think the judges always loved 3A's and Mao would have profited from the 6.0 system (when landing the 3A's ;)). But then other skaters would have tried harder to get it and ... I don't think it will be necessary to win the 2018 Olympics.

NaVi

Medalist
I am not looking forward to the 3A becoming common. It will makes ladies skating as erratic as men's. I really wish there was a bonus multiplier for jumps done later in combinations as that would reduce the strategic value of a 3A. You could see skaters start to attempt jump combos that begin with single axels or double of the other jumps.

Flaya

Match Penalty
Except for Midori Ido and Tonya Harding, what other ladies landed a clean triple Axel in a competition?

And among the currently competing skaters, who landed it in training?

noskates

Record Breaker
i am not looking forward to the 3a becoming common. It will makes ladies skating as erratic as men's. I really wish there was a bonus multiplier for jumps done later in combinations as that would reduce the strategic value of a 3a. You could see skaters start to attempt jump combos that begin with single axels or double of the other jumps.

amen!!!!

NaVi

Medalist
I'm not completely against the triple axel... I just think there needs to be potential paths to win without it.

Besides a bonus multiplier for jumps done later in combos, I'd like to see the 1-foot axel made separate with it's own slightly higher base value.

creaturelover

On the Ice
Except for Midori Ido and Tonya Harding, what other ladies landed a clean triple Axel in a competition?

And among the currently competing skaters, who landed it in training?

Mao Asada landed it in competition, Elizaveta Tuktamysheva has landed it in practice.