Meagan Duhamel and Eric Radford respond to critics on the ice | Golden Skate

Meagan Duhamel and Eric Radford respond to critics on the ice

Taan

On the Ice
Last edited by a moderator:

Macassar88

Medalist
Well the thing is that they've definitely made improvements in their performance and stuff like that but they probably will never be like a Russian pair. I just wish that she would enter the split twist from something other than a flat

AnaBM

Rinkside
I guess this was over-discussed in the V/T thread but not elsewhere, so yeah, for public knowledge: it wasn't properly translated.
(Kinda dissapointed of CBC and Browning now).

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I guess this was over-discussed in the V/T thread but not elsewhere, so yeah, for public knowledge: it wasn't properly translated.
(Kinda dissapointed of CBC and Browning now).

Never heard of this because I'm obviously not a fan of V/T and never inclined to visit their fan fest.
If it weren't properly translated from the original remark written or spoken in Russian, could anyone knowledgeable of Russian language introduce it in a proper form?
In this regards, it is also quick to judge whether CBC and Browning are anti-Russian. :rolleye:

However, given Trankov's behaviors, I would not be surprised if he indeed did produce such a disrespectful comment toward the new reigning World champion.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
Max is actually quite unbiased when commentating. His abridged commentary: overall, the quality of the pairs event was low except for Pang/Tong.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Max is actually quite unbiased when commentating. His abridged commentary: overall, the quality of the pairs event was low except for Pang/Tong.
Given some of the programs V/T chose to waste their talents on, Trankov really isn't in a position to complain about other pairs. And Trankov does tend to be gossipy and sometimes judgmental in interviews.

I like D/R and find then very deserving of their success. Though contrary to what the article suggests, they are not the only ones doing 3Lzs. ;)

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
Given some of the programs V/T chose to waste their talents on, Trankov really isn't in a position to complain about other pairs. And Trankov does tend to be gossipy and sometimes judgmental in interviews.

I like D/R and find then very deserving of their success. Though contrary to what the article suggests, they are not the only ones doing 3Lzs. ;)

...but the quality of the event was low. :shrug:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
...but the quality of the event was low. :shrug:
That's an opinion, not a fact. I disagree with you and with Trankov. And I think that Trankov has very questionable taste when it comes to skating programs. I can't imagine Radford skating an equivalent to Jesus Christ Superbland or foisting Hello on a talented young pair.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

sums it all for me

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
That's an opinion, not a fact. I disagree with you and with Trankov. And I think that Trankov has very questionable taste when it comes to skating programs. I cant imagine Radford skating an equivalent to Jesus Christ Superbland or foisting Hello on a talented young pair.

Except the skating quality is still superior, and the fact that they–especially Duhamel–take valid critique (from a superior pair, no less) so personally says everything.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Except the skating quality is still superior, and the fact that they–especially Duhamel–take valid critique (from a superior pair, no less) so personally says everything.

i disagree with this...she is indeed taking it personally because it was directly and personally addressed to her.. but I don't think the criticism is what bothers her the most from reading the article. What seems to bother her is that Trankov crosses the line of respect competitors of that level usually have for one another ("we have only nice things to say about them"). With medias, social and traditional, nowadays, most athletes are being very proper and politically correct when discussing other people's results or skills. It's kind of a code of conduct that everyone observes. Breaking it, is definitely not appropriate and doing it when he is not competing, in a way to discredit the podium winners in the public eye is just low... I am not surprised he praises P/T... They are retiring and will not be competition for them in the future. I think that such behaviour invites bad karma. By trying to put pressure on others, he is putting pressure on himself. It takes a lot of courage to be a public persona these days. Fans and journalists are so critical. Athletes should stick together instead of adding oil to the fire.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
i disagree with this...she is indeed taking it personally because it was directly and personally addressed to her.. but I don't think the criticism is what bothers her the most from reading the article. What seems to bother her is that Trankov crosses the line of respect competitors of that level usually have for one another ("we have only nice things to say about them"). With medias, social and traditional, nowadays, most athletes are being very proper and politically correct when discussing other people's results or skills. It's kind of a code of conduct that everyone observes. Breaking it, is definitely not appropriate and doing it when he is not competing, in a way to discredit the podium winners in the public eye is just low... I am not surprised he praises P/T... They are retiring and will not be competition for them in the future. I think that such behaviour invites bad karma. By trying to put pressure on others, he is putting pressure on himself. It takes a lot of courage to be a public persona these days. Fans and journalists are so critical. Athletes should stick together instead of adding oil to the fire.

Well, maybe she can take it back to the rink and work on something more substantive than 4S and Lutzes... They're good on those elements but everything else...something's just not right with them. Never has been and probably never will be. People just misunderstand Max...

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
WOW :) you crack me up :)
Well, maybe she can take it back to the rink and work on something more substantive than 4S and Lutzes... They're good on those elements but everything else...something's just not right with them. Never has been and probably never will be. People just misunderstand Max...

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Whether it's a valid critique is also opinion and not fact. Also, while V/T are exceptionally talented, their programs were not as complex and challenging as those of some pairs. Plus Trankov has stated on record that they simplified theirs going into Sochi and counted on the judges giving them good scores based on past experience and reputation. Personally I think that a superior skater or pair is characterized not only by talent but also by superior programs.

If all you see when watching D/R is the 3Lzs and quad Sal, you're not paying attention. There is a lot going on in their programs beyond the elements.

People understand Trankov very well. But sometimes he goes too far in giving his opinions, and if he can dish it out, others can call him on it.

Last edited:

Flaya

Match Penalty
Having said that I would like to see Trankov's comments as it might look as a way to intimidate competitors that is unnecessary. It is hardly the first time it happens.

I understand a little Russian but would also prefer to have their translated by an unbiased poster in here.

whatif

Medalist
I believe it was Moskvina who said that the traditional pairs skating is basically dead? The system when the teams were put together from the very start are gone. Now it's some failed singles skaters with decent jump arsenal who never made it big who are switching into pairs. Apparently it's cheaper and more effective. Hence, there will be very few and in-between true pairs teams like V/T, S/S, S/K. Perhaps Chinese can cary the torch but otherwise the arrival of the technically superior but sloppy D/R signals the new era for pair skating.

Bumdid

Record Breaker
Idk. I think Kurt has some skaters that he like and some that he doesn't regardless of nationality. He seemed love Elena Radionova but doesn't care about Julia Lipnitskaia. Maybe he likes skater that have that in your face charisma when they're on the ice? Yu/Jin is a lot more subdued that S/B.

Barb

Record Breaker

Maybe they start to work on something more substantive the day Max and Tat start to work on lutz and quadruples, sorry but it is not fair that people be so exigent with a team but tolerate gold in a team with easier elements. ok Megan and Eric could do better, but Max and Tat too.

MsLiinaLii

Final Flight
I am not a fan of Trankov...
but..
He praised technical ability of D/R, while people notices only his critical comments.