Polina Tsurskaya | Page 18 | Golden Skate

Polina Tsurskaya

shmay

On the Ice
Does she have the longest legs in...history?

It would be such a shame if injuries continue to affect her over the next season and a half.

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
Polina is amazing as always. I really missed her at Russian Nationals. But now it's making Junior Nationals more exciting.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
With that out of the way, congratulations to Polina on coming back and getting a medal! :clapper::hb::points: Hopefully her recovery is complete and we will see her at Junior Worlds :hap10:

Meoima

Match Penalty
Poor girl. She is so talented but I guess they have to put some bad thing against her to make it even. I hope she will be free from pain and go to Olympic.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
To put an end to speculation, Mikhail Sharov asked Polina's mother what Polina's current height was and she said 169 cm.

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
Poor Polina. This is such an unfortunate condition to have. I hope she stays healthy and I will send my best wishes to her every day.

Zora

On the Ice
Just watched her free program. I'm so impressed!! I think she has the most beautiful 3Lz-3T(-2T) combination I've ever seen.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Polina is planning to compete in the Russian Cup Final in Seniors (MS). All other Eteri's students from Junior Nationals (except Zagitova) will compete in Juniors (KMS).

j00mla

Made in USSR
Final Flight
Will it happen again? I don't know much about this disease .

The disease is chronic, i.e. without treatment it's permanent but there are juvenile and mature forms. The first one is connected with growth and is intrinsic for some young people of age 5-18 and can be cured much more succesfully then Koenig's disease of mature people.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Will it happen again? I don't know much about this disease .
This depends on what the underlying defect (genetic abnormality in her case) is. Maybe it's growth-related and won't happen after she stops growing, maybe not. It's seems to be a complicated condition. She'll definitely have to be watchful and not let the condition progress to the final stage (actual detached pieces of bone/cartilage floating around in the joint) again without noticing.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Maybe I'm confusing it, but I think a friend of mine had the same disease - she was operated too and it never happened again. She's even pretty active in sports (albeit not to Polinas FS extent) and so far, so good. However, if I remember correctly, she was told to try and get a good/solid amount of thigh muscles, as those stabilize the knee in general and help preventing it from occurring again. And I got the same advice with my problems, basically a curable pre-form of arthritis.
Again, maybe this is different for Polinas disease, but to be honest, it reminds me of one of the comments in the Junior nationals thread (I'm sorry I can't remember who said it) - what Eteri said about 'usually only taking small, slim girls' scares me a bit. I respect Eteri and she has a lot of strengths as a coach, but I'm afraid her approach might not be the right one for Polina. Maybe gaining more muscle in her legs to help support her knees would be better... and it's not as if, with her technique and spring, a bit more weight would have her jumps come apart. Probably the opposite.
I'm sorry for being negative here, but I can't help being worried about this :dbana:

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Maybe I'm confusing it, but I think a friend of mine had the same disease - she was operated too and it never happened again. She's even pretty active in sports (albeit not to Polinas FS extent) and so far, so good. However, if I remember correctly, she was told to try and get a good/solid amount of thigh muscles, as those stabilize the knee in general and help preventing it from occurring again. And I got the same advice with my problems, basically a curable pre-form of arthritis.
Again, maybe this is different for Polinas disease, but to be honest, it reminds me of one of the comments in the Junior nationals thread (I'm sorry I can't remember who said it) - what Eteri said about 'usually only taking small, slim girls' scares me a bit. I respect Eteri and she has a lot of strengths as a coach, but I'm afraid her approach might not be the right one for Polina. Maybe gaining more muscle in her legs to help support her knees would be better... and it's not as if, with her technique and spring, a bit more weight would have her jumps come apart. Probably the opposite.
I'm sorry for being negative here, but I can't help being worried about this :dbana:
I agree about an individual approach - Pitkeev was someone who needed one for health reasons and he didn't exactly get it. But maybe Eteri has learned a lesson from it and is going to be more careful with Polina. However, the conditions in Eteri's group with so many strong girls may create a "survival of the fittest" situation and that is not good for Polina. Eteri is good at pushing her students to the maximum, not coddling them. But of course we can't know exactly what's going on there.