Daniel Samohin | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Daniel Samohin

RadioFan

Match Penalty
What happened with this guy?
I saw him last year winning some major competition (Junior worlds or junior olympics) and was pretty impressed.
Decent, entertaining shows and I had the feeling that he was possibly a bit displaced at juniors already.
But this season it doesnt seem to work for him. I can remember seeing him at the Grand Prix series, but already
there he had some problems. So what happened to him?

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
What happened with this guy?
I saw him last year winning some major competition (Junior worlds or junior olympics) and was pretty impressed.
Decent, entertaining shows and I had the feeling that he was possibly a bit displaced at juniors already.
But this season it doesnt seem to work for him. I can remember seeing him at the Grand Prix series, but already
there he had some problems. So what happened to him?

Read posts from the page before. It's all explained.

I always worry for skaters that they may do worse than usual because of things that are indepedent from them. Like lost luggage. Ugh. It sucks so much.

beki

Medalist
I was honestly so relieved to find out lost skates were the reason behind that performance. It will be easier to move on from psychologically, since it wasn't a problem of his own making. What a tough break. I hope things get better for him.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
He's still on the entry list for the Bavarian Open in 2 weeks. I'm not sure, but I don't think his original skates have been found at all. Will he have had enough time to break in new ones?

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
According to YoenNL, Dani and Alexei will participate in the Challenge Cup 2017, The Hague, Netherlands. :) 23 - 26 February.

kptnciam

Rinkside
hi!!! so, i learned that they found his skates but he decided to stick to the new pair.

Also, he competed in Cup of Tyrol this weekend (where he placed 3rd), alongside alexey bychenko (2nd), so the federation could decide who to send to helsinki. According to the results, should be Bychenko but... do any of you know if we have an official confirmation?

I'm kind of sad that he's not going to helsinki (in theory), although he's planning to go to junior worlds, so at least he can defend the title...

Thanks !!!

Sent from my phone

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I hope Daniel will at least podium again at JWC, I'll be sad if the whole season would turned out to be like so far... It'll be hard though.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
hi!!! so, i learned that they found his skates but he decided to stick to the new pair.

Also, he competed in Cup of Tyrol this weekend (where he placed 3rd), alongside alexey bychenko (2nd), so the federation could decide who to send to helsinki. According to the results, should be Bychenko but... do any of you know if we have an official confirmation?

I'm kind of sad that he's not going to helsinki (in theory), although he's planning to go to junior worlds, so at least he can defend the title...

Thanks !!!

Sent from my phone

I wouldn't expect the Israeli fed to communicate anything before the ISU's entry lists come out, but I'm 99.5% sure Alexei will go to Worlds. He deserves it. Daniel had rotten luck at Euros, but I also think he just wasn't really well prepared for the season overall. I think he knows what he needs to work on, though, and hopefully next season he will be stronger.

kptnciam

Rinkside
yeah... i agree.

although i'm sad because i wanted to see him in helsinki and WOG (not sure if he's going to make it if bychenko is the one that gets the olympic spot in helsinki)... but yeah, i also agree that he has to re-focus and re-think how to approach competitions, maybe [emoji848]

i really hope he can enjoy JWC and be proud of his skating there, rest, and start fresh for next season.

[emoji173]

Sent from my phone

Rissa

Record Breaker
You will...at Junior Worlds next week :)

Daniel's gling to junior worlds? :unsure: It feels so weird after he's already won junior worlds and after seeing him on the senior GP circuit. But I too am hoping for a clean performance of Delilah... Daniel's got good chances of winning if he stays on his feet

Warwick360

Medalist
You will...at Junior Worlds next week :)

Yeah, but I usually follow the whole segment on Eurosports for the Mens Worlds. Eurosport only has snippets from Junior Worlds (if at all) when the ice resurfacing is being done for the Senior Worlds. Would have been nice to see him compete with the top tier. :slink:

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
I took it for granted that Israel would have two spots for WC until quite recently and I was shocked to learn there was a battle between Daniel vs. Oleksej. Such a pity because both of them more than deserve to be there, both are fully capable of finishing within top 10. (even finishing in the last group may not be unthinkable, depending on how the big boys fare!) True it seems odd that he will still compete in WJC, but perhaps it will give him a positive boost at the end of the season. I saw him at Cup of Tyrol, he is such a lovely lad, incredibly friendly. And despite everything the two rivals seemed quite friendly with each other, which was very nice to see! This album I posted on FB contains quite a few pics of his (sorry it is predominantly Deniss Vasiljevs though, I can't directly upload the photos here if I am not mistaken, so bear with me!)

Last edited:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Thanks MGStyle for the great pics of Daniel & Deniss :) Let's hope Alexei can make the top 10 this year and earn 2 spots for Israel. They do seem to have a great friendship and I'd love to see them both in Pyeongchang.

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
Thanks MGStyle for the great pics of Daniel & Deniss :) Let's hope Alexei can make the top 10 this year and earn 2 spots for Israel. They do seem to have a great friendship and I'd love to see them both in Pyeongchang.

My pleasure! And I agree with everything you say! :agree: Oh God I confused the name of Mr. Bychenko...:slink: I corrected it immediately!

Hannah555

Ava artwork by talented ShampooNeko
Final Flight
I'd love to see them both in Pyeongchang.

I share that hope. :rolleye: They both deserve to be there and compete. Israel have much less competitors in Winter OG then in Summer OG (and the number of competitors is very small anyway).

So we will feel very happy and grateful just watching them both in Olympic arena regardless their possible results.