Vincent Zhou | Page 15 | Golden Skate

Vincent Zhou

Zenchio63

Final Flight
who else is excited for Vincent's TAKE ON ME exhibition program ?!! I think it's one of Vincent's favorite songs ?
and yes - he's using the original version of the song !!

I am so looking forward to seeing this program at SOI !!😍
https://www.instagram.com/p/BhMgi8MFIlW/

:hap36:So happy Vincent is going to skate to an upbeat piece of music that he likes! Believe it or not, I made this captioned screenshot of the OG green room right before Worlds, thinking about this very subject. And Voila! Talk about synchronicity :yay:

A happy and excited Vincent is good for the soul! Looking forward to seeing him skate and bounce around the ice in enjoyment to "Take On Me" :clap:

P.S. This is Vincent's original tweet where he mentioned the song.

P.P.S. I have to walk by Morten Ave. everyday to work so naturally the song is in my mind :).

Zenchio63

Final Flight
Vincent is debuting his new exhibition to "Take On Me" at The Skating Club of San Francisco 2018 Annual Gala Show

It’s been a tremendous year for Bay Area skating as we celebrate our first Olympian from the SCSF, Vincent Zhou, the 2018 US Men’s Bronze Medalist, and the youngest 2018 Olympian to compete in PyeongChang, South Korea. Vincent will headline the show with all of the Team USA members, national medalists and competitors from the SCSF.

Made a quick slideshow video to commemorate his new program. Hope all Vincent fans enjoy!

Zenchio63

Final Flight
Vincent is debuting his new exhibition to "Take On Me" at The Skating Club of San Francisco 2018 Annual Gala Show

It’s been a tremendous year for Bay Area skating as we celebrate our first Olympian from the SCSF, Vincent Zhou, the 2018 US Men’s Bronze Medalist, and the youngest 2018 Olympian to compete in PyeongChang, South Korea. Vincent will headline the show with all of the Team USA members, national medalists and competitors from the SCSF.

Made a quick slideshow video to commemorate his new program. Hope all Vincent fans enjoy!

Extra info and pics from The Skating Club of SF FB:

The SCSF is hosting its second annual Gala on April 7 from 6:30 pm - 9 pm at the Yerba Buena Ice Skating and Bowling Center in honor of the 30th anniversary of Brian Boitano's Olympic Gold Medal. The show will headline the youngest member of the 2018 Olympic Team and SCSF member Vincent Zhou.

Fundraiser Gala poster, some practice photos

Zenchio63

Final Flight
Found a short clip of Vincent skating to "Take On Me" from the other side of the glass. Too bad the music wasn't loud enough.

Here's a lucky fan who took a photo with Vincent in his lovely chartreuse yellow polo shirt and jeans. Yay, GoVincent! Looking very eighties!

Zenchio63

Final Flight
Found a short clip of Vincent skating to "Take On Me" from the other side of the glass. Too bad the music wasn't loud enough.

Here's a lucky fan who took a photo with Vincent in his lovely chartreuse yellow polo shirt and jeans. Yay, GoVincent! Looking very eighties!

A few more short fancam clips and pic with another lucky fan at Yerba Buena Skating Instagram. The person who uploaded the fancam from yesterday's post fixed the audio and you can hear "Take On Me" clearly now in the clip.

This short clip shows Vincent at the very beginning, posing and dancing. Wish someone made a longer video. It's nice to get a taste of the program though. I'm sure Koreans fans will upload better fancams from the Ice Fantasia show later this month.

Check out this really cute drawing titled "Quad Battle" with Vincent, Nathan, Boyang and Alexandra Trusova. Instagram account also has clips & pics from SOI.

Zenchio63

Final Flight
TomZ just posted this video of Vincent practicing his jumps on FB.

When the @isufigureskating new rules go into effect later this year and the men have one less jump element to do but also .30 sec less time, the fans can expect to see the quad men create exciting new jump combinations to maximize their scores. Like this one by @govincentzhou Can you guess what his first jump is?

Picture of Vincent with Brian Boitano. Looks like Vincent worked up a good sweat skating to A-Ha!

yyyskate

Record Breaker
TomZ just posted this video of Vincent practicing his jumps on FB.

When the @isufigureskating new rules go into effect later this year and the men have one less jump element to do but also .30 sec less time, the fans can expect to see the quad men create exciting new jump combinations to maximize their scores. Like this one by @govincentzhou Can you guess what his first jump is?

Picture of Vincent with Brian Boitano. Looks like Vincent worked up a good sweat skating to A-Ha!

some kinda single jump -lo-4S. that could be a quad, let me be bold 4LZ-LO-4S. the first 4--4 jump combo:yahoo:
think about it, this 4--4 is easier to achieve than the other 4-4
Go Vincent!!:luv17:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Vincent will go to Stanford for college?
And info about that?

FWIW, from an interview with a blogger:

Have you decided where you’re going to attend college at in the fall yet?

I'll probably go to college right here in the Springs so I can keep training in the best place for figure skating in this country.

https://drocklee27.weebly.com/sports-blog/interviewing-us-olympian-vincent-zhou

The interview was conducted in Feb after the Olympics, and published on Apr 4.

BTW ... this part of the interview was a little heart-wrenching :ghug::

You were born and raised for most of your life in California. What was the biggest difference and/or culture change that you noticed when you moved to Colorado?

The biggest cultural difference has to be the Asian population. In the Bay Area, it was so easy for me to go out in public or walk into a school and feel accepted. Here, I sometimes felt highly self-conscious of the fact that I'm of Chinese heritage and pretty much everyone around me is of other ethnicities. I actually did a year of regular school here--I had almost no friends because most kids didn't feel the need associate with a small Asian kid who was a little socially awkward.

Thank goodness that Vincent does seem to be part of the social mix at World Arena Ice Hall.

His birthday dinner a while back seemed well attended :hb:.

.... P.S. This is Vincent's original tweet where he mentioned the song. ...

Thanks for re-posting V's tweet :thank:.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
@ice coverage thanks so much for all the info.

awww, Vincent if you don't mind I can be your friend.:luv17:

it is hard to believe that Vincent would sacrifice Stanford for his figure skating dream to do college at Colorado Springs. Any good university there?
But I support Vincent, if figure skating is your one and only dream and passion. go for it.

yeah, Vince seems have made lots of great friends at World arena. lovely to see him hangout with his new friend Josh.

Zenchio63

Final Flight
FWIW, from an interview with a blogger:

Have you decided where you’re going to attend college at in the fall yet?

I'll probably go to college right here in the Springs so I can keep training in the best place for figure skating in this country.

https://drocklee27.weebly.com/sports-blog/interviewing-us-olympian-vincent-zhou

The interview was conducted in Feb after the Olympics, and published on Apr 4.

BTW ... this part of the interview was a little heart-wrenching :ghug::

You were born and raised for most of your life in California. What was the biggest difference and/or culture change that you noticed when you moved to Colorado?

The biggest cultural difference has to be the Asian population. In the Bay Area, it was so easy for me to go out in public or walk into a school and feel accepted. Here, I sometimes felt highly self-conscious of the fact that I'm of Chinese heritage and pretty much everyone around me is of other ethnicities. I actually did a year of regular school here--I had almost no friends because most kids didn't feel the need associate with a small Asian kid who was a little socially awkward.

Thank goodness that Vincent does seem to be part of the social mix at World Arena Ice Hall.

His birthday dinner a while back seemed well attended :hb:.

Thanks for re-posting V's tweet :thank:.

You are welcome :)

Vincent's JP Fan account uploaded a 2 part fancam to the complete "Take On Me" exhibition. I knew someone would have recorded the whole thing. Loved the cantilever and splits! Dear Vincent, we love you very much but you need to take some dancing lessons :biggrin:.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
You are welcome :)

Vincent's JP Fan account uploaded a 2 part fancam to the complete "Take On Me" exhibition. I knew someone would have recorded the whole thing. Loved the cantilever and splits! Dear Vincent, we love you very much but you need to take some dancing lessons :biggrin:.

OMG, this is so awkward it is kinda funny and cute:laugh2::laugh: quite entertaining!!
Vincent's moon walk :palmf: :eeking:Vincent you can do better than that, I kr you can do better than that

Zenchio63

Final Flight
@ice coverage, thanks for the interview. Don't know what happened, my screen froze when I was attempting to submit the last response and now I see a part of your quote is missing (the part where I posted Vincent's original tweet about A-Ha).

I feel for Vincent as I grew up most of my life in Spanish-speaking countries and everywhere I went, I stuck out like a sore thumb and was picked on. But then again, after moving to LA, where there are plenty of Asians, I still didn't make a lot of friends in school due to my "social-awkwardness" and "unpopular" looks, LOL. It's just a phase most "unpopular" kids go through. I'm sure now that he is an Olympian, he can put all of that behind him. But still, group hug for Vincent. :ghug: and :yay: for focusing on his skating.

Zenchio63

Final Flight
Just finished reading Vincent's email interview with the blog and am once again, deeply impressed and envious of his eloquence.

In PyeongChang, you became the first figure skater to land a quad lutz in the Olympics. What was that like?

I actually didn't realize I was the first one to do it at the Olympics until afterwards. I was too in the zone. However, it feels pretty darn cool to have that title attached to my name!
Okay, I have to get something off my chest. I've read many comments of people who sneer at Vincent and say he just happened to get lucky to be in the earlier group thus landing the 4Lutz first, as if that was his aim to do so and he stole the title away from more deserving skaters. It's not as if Vincent's sole aim at the OG was to claim that title so he can boast about it, when he wasn't even aware of the fact. Besides, there was hardly any attention given to his 4Lutz when his program wasn't even shown on TV and Mirai's 3A got all the media hype.

And there are plenty of other skaters who get away with pre-rotations and URs. Not only that, they get good PCS in spite of that, but not Vincent. He has never proclaimed that his jumps are perfect and that he doesn't care about improving his PCS. He had over-ambitious programs and didn't have enough time to hone the skills and consistency, but he has the talent and determination to work on them for the next quad. I just hope TomZ is not going to push him too far and he remains in good health and injury free. Sending Vincent lots of good wishes to remain injury free and to have a successful college/skating balance. High five to you, my boy! :luv17:

Zenchio63

Final Flight
some kinda single jump -lo-4S. that could be a quad, let me be bold 4LZ-LO-4S. the first 4--4 jump combo:yahoo:
think about it, this 4--4 is easier to achieve than the other 4-4
Go Vincent!!:luv17:

There are lots of different guesses posted at TomZ's Instagram. You are an expert from studying Nathan's jumps, yyyskate, so could you explain the BV of each of these combination jumps and the pros and cons of each?

4sal, half loop, 4sal
3A half loop 4S
4T half loop 4S
4lz half loop 4sal

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Just finished reading Vincent's email interview with the blog and am once again, deeply impressed and envious of his eloquence.

Okay, I have to get something off my chest. I've read many comments of people who sneer at Vincent and say he just happened to get lucky to be in the earlier group thus landing the 4Lutz first, as if that was his aim to do so and he stole the title away from more deserving skaters. It's not as if Vincent's sole aim at the OG was to claim that title so he can boast about it, when he wasn't even aware of the fact. Besides, there was hardly any attention given to his 4Lutz when his program wasn't even shown on TV and Mirai's 3A got all the media hype.

And there are plenty of other skaters who get away with pre-rotations and URs. Not only that, they get good PCS in spite of that, but not Vincent. He has never proclaimed that his jumps are perfect and that he doesn't care about his PCS. He had over-ambitious programs and didn't have enough time to hone the skills and consistence, but he has the talent and determination to work on them for the next quad. I just hope TomZ is not going to push him too far and he remains in good health and injury free. Sending Vincent lots of good wishes to remain injury free and to have a successful college/skating balance. High five to you, my boy! :luv17:

Yes, others like Nathan and Kolyada all had their chances to get that first Olympic 4Lutz. but they did not grasp it, Vincent did. the honor is his. nobody can take it away from Vincent.

And the glory that night not even is Mirai's 3A, it is all about our Media darling Adam Rippon :noshake:. that says a thing or two about American media...:roll5:

Yes, Vincent's UR is judged harshly in comps compare to others. Nothing was handed to Vincent, he earned it and he deserved it and he had it the hard way.

Go Vincent.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
There are lots of different guesses posted at TomZ's Instagram. You are an expert from studying Nathan's jumps, yyyskate, so could you explain the BV of each of these combination jumps and the pros and cons of each?

4sal, half loop, 4sal
3A half loop 4S
4T half loop 4S
4lz half loop 4sal

Thank you, but I am not an expert. especially I am no particular good at jump lay-out arrangement and BV math stuff.

if they will take out one jumping pass which jump would Vincent take.
this also depends on what the rule change regarding how many 3jump combo is allowed, how many quads repeat is allowed.
Vincent now is repeat lutz , 3a and single 4S, 4F, 4T and 3LZ-L-3F
the jump that need to take out cost the least maybe -3F

Vincent's layout could be

4lz-3t or 4LZ-3Loop
4F
4T
4lz
3A-2T
3A
3LZ-L-4S

still 5 quad program

I think the easiest to do is 3LZ-L-4S

others are more difficult to do the -l-4S combo, and BV wise there is no different if you tag -l-4s on 3LZ, 4LZ, 3A, or 4T, but it you do 4S-L-4S, then he is repeat 4LZ and 4S thus can only do a 3A
4lz-3t or 4LZ-3Loop
4S-L-4S
4F
4T
4lz
3A-2T
3LZ

Then this is 6quad FS, I don't know is this BV is higher than previous one though.