2015 U.S. Figure Skating Classic - SLC Ice Dance-SD and FD | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2015 U.S. Figure Skating Classic - SLC Ice Dance-SD and FD

caitie

Medalist
It's like they were just giving it so much energy at the end and he lost his footing. Otherwise it was a really beautiful performance.

caitie

Medalist
YIKES at the Danish team's twizzles. Maddie and Zach will probably finish first after all, I guess.

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Is this ice cursed? I have seen more slips and falls today than is common. Hope the skaters get it out of their systems here.

charmblade

Final Flight
FB/S had another non traditional waltz. She had some major issues during the twizzles but her dress is beautiful.

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yeah, such a shame about the twizzles. Love Laurence's dress though. Another nice music cut (can you tell bad music cuts are my pet peeve?) and good program. I can hardly wait to see them this season. I hope they nail it!

caitie

Medalist
Yeah, I love her dress.

ETA: Well her partner seems very supportive at least, so that's good.

Wow, they are tied exactly with P/O. You don't see that very often.

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
The lack of a "waltzy" feel to Madison and Zach's SD has been discussed in other threads but I think it is beautiful and really is a nice change of pace among all the traditionalists.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Wow three teams with the 51+ score it's going to be interesting how the podium turns out.

Madison and Zack look good to win this competition with a 10 point lead into the free dance. They would have to have a major screwup to lose at this point.

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, they tied... but they're in 3rd place. Is that because P/O's tech marks were higher? Either way, it'll be easy for them to stay on the podium and if they don't crash and burn tomorrow there's no reason why they shouldn't take home silver. Hope they do... they're one of my fav teams!

tinlizzie

Final Flight
Yeah, I love her dress.

ETA: Well her partner seems very supportive at least, so that's good.

Wow, they are tied exactly with P/O. You don't see that very often.
She looked like she was going to cry and he took her hand and squeezed it - so sweet!

caitie

Medalist
The lack of a "waltzy" feel to Madison and Zach's SD has been discussed in other threads but I think it is beautiful and really is a nice change of pace among all the traditionalists.

Yeah, this is the only problem. The one real benefit to using a waltz is that you get the nice, on-time... bounce? I don't really know what to call it, sorry. They have it for a few bars but their music just doesn't allow it. Hopefully the judges will embrace it anyway because it's an absolutely lovely program. Even with the fall they were clearly the best today.

samson

Medalist
Wow just head and shoulders above the rest of the field. The levels on their elements are strong for this early in the season and gave them a 3.7 point lead to start with. Could someone remind me what PSt is? I'm assuming it replaces the no touch step sequence. When Zach fell did they both go down? I see they took -2.00 for the fall. Shame because they would have gone past their '15 Worlds SD score but still if this is any indication it looks like the move is starting to pay off.

blancanieves

On the Ice
Wow just head and shoulders above the rest of the field. The levels on their elements are strong for this early in the season and gave them a 3.7 point lead to start with. Could someone remind me what PSt is? I'm assuming it replaces the no touch step sequence. When Zach fell did they both go down? I see they took -2.00 for the fall. Shame because they would have gone past their '15 Worlds SD score but still if this is any indication it looks like the move is starting to pay off.

partial step sequence

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Yeah, this is the only problem. The one real benefit to using a waltz is that you get the nice, on-time... bounce? I don't really know what to call it, sorry. They have it for a few bars but their music just doesn't allow it. Hopefully the judges will embrace it anyway because it's an absolutely lovely program. Even with the fall they were clearly the best today.

A waltz is all about the rise and fall as the couple swirls across the floor. It's why you get the ONE two three beat. A rise and fall in the music echoed in the rise and fall of the couple's bodies. So there is horizontal movement, but there is also vertical movement. It should FLOW, almost like a ship moving through water.

The program is lovely, at least from what I saw the first outing of it. But it also isn't within the time signature of a waltz. I see that isn't an issue for the judges, and I think it should be.

It seems like most couples are doing everything they can to make the waltz as UNtraditional as possible. Same thing with the Russian test skates. Just seems to be the trend this year.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
A waltz is all about the rise and fall as the couple swirls across the floor. It's why you get the ONE two three beat. A rise and fall in the music echoed in the rise and fall of the couple's bodies. So there is horizontal movement, but there is also vertical movement. It should FLOW, almost like a ship moving through water.

The program is lovely, at least from what I saw the first outing of it. But it also isn't within the time signature of a waltz. I see that isn't an issue for the judges, and I think it should be.

It seems like most couples are doing everything they can to make the waltz as UNtraditional as possible. Same thing with the Russian test skates. Just seems to be the trend this year.

It isn't an issue with THIS technical panel, anyway (the main issue where I see the dodgy time signature being an issue is with the timing of the pattern). It would be interesting to see how other technical panels will respond.