Best skaters who won only one world title | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Best skaters who won only one world title

glorybox6

Final Flight
Yuka Sato. I remember Scott Hamilton saying that she was a "skater's skater" and that you rarely heard her blades on the ice because she was so light and smooth. I believe she won her World title in an Olympic year and several of the top skaters had chosen not to skate Worlds. It's always been a pleasure to watch her skate.

I've always appreciated her eclectic musical selections (except for Hat Full of Stars) and longevity (still skating today!). A couple years ago she actually did a program to Ani DiFranco that was really nice. I never thought I'd see a skater use her music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAl3IoS0Ri4

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've always appreciated her eclectic musical selections (except for Hat Full of Stars) and longevity (still skating today!). A couple years ago she actually did a program to Ani DiFranco that was really nice. I never thought I'd see a skater use her music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAl3IoS0Ri4

I :love: Yuka, & I've always liked "Hatful of Stars," notwithstanding that we saw that program so many times on TV. I also really liked that Janet Jackson program that she did. She was SO cute in it, & I loved the end part when she said (recorded in Yuka's own voice, I think) something like "This is so much fun!" It was!

Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
The best skater with just one World title? Medvedeva, of course.

You mean her entire career afterward together? :laugh: I think that's quite possible given that her puberty doesn't hit yet in the current Russian ladies' tradition.

Seriously, I believe this thread is about great skaters in the past that could've accomplished more than their career. :)

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
The best skater with just one World title? Medvedeva, of course.

Speaking of Medvedeva. I think she may have the record for new fans among my former students. All of my students knew about my love for figure skating and will often tweet or send me messages letting me know who their favorite was at Nationals and Worlds. They all mentioned Medvedeva, and said they thought she was the best because of the way she performed. It's interesting that they didn't mention her jumps/Tano's at all. They also preferred Ashley to Gracie and always have. Of course, it's been the opposite for me on that front as I prefer Gracie.

However, this year Ashley was so great and she didn't depend on others to falter to get herself on the podium. For that reason alone, she deserves huge props for getting the US back on the Ladies Podium after all these years.

glorybox6

Final Flight
I :love: Yuka, & I've always liked "hatful of Stars," notwithstanding that we saw that program so many times on TV. I also really liked that Janet Jackson program that she did. She was SO cute in it, & I loved the end part when she said (recorded in Yuka's own voice, I think) something like "This is so much fun!" It was!

ooh another favorite old program of Yuka's was to Donna Lewis' "I Love You Always Forever." She skated it with so much joy.

And the Dido program was transcendent. I saw it live at SOI that year and it was spellbinding.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
That's true, though I think that their glide and flow (especially his, but also hers towards the end of their career) was among the best of all the teams. They had a rare excitement and quality to their skating that reminds me of what P/C are bringing to the table now -- that extra spark. I never got to see them skate live -- anyone know how their speed and ice coverage compared to other teams at the time?

I think my favorite FD of theirs was actually the 1999 Sunrise at Alcatraz one. Truly a masterpiece. I got pretty bored with Spente La Stelle by the time they were done with it.

My favourite program of Drobiazko / Vanagas was their 2002 Original Dance. They excelled at getting the right, fitting atmosphere in their performances and the character of any dance.

Last edited:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Pairs - Wotzel and Steuer (one of my favorite teams that I always felt were underrated)
Ice Dance - Anissina and Peizerat
Men - Hanyu, Petrenko, Orser (hopefully Hanyu will win again before his career ends)
Ladies - Lipinski, Baiul (both retired so young)

Best to have never won a world title - Cohen and Kulik

Janet Lynn is the best never to have won World gold.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Janet Lynn is the best never to have won World gold.

I second that comment. Janet had no weaknesses in her skating other then figures which unfortunately counted for about half of the total score back then. People almost forget that Janet was also a very good jumper while Sasha's jumps were not top notch to be honest. If Janet had been born even a decade later she would have easily been landing triple jumps.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Has Todd Eldredge been mentioned? Cause he was legit.

Todd HAS been mentioned by myself and "iluvtodd" as he definitely belongs on this list. Several people, myself included, believe that Todd deserved the Silver in 2001.

Lenny318

On the Ice
Todd HAS been mentioned by myself and "iluvtodd" as he definitely belongs on this list. Several people, myself included, believe that Todd deserved the Silver in 2001.
Excellent :) Sorry I was briefly looking at this during down time in lab

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Speaking of Medvedeva. I think she may have the record for new fans among my former students. All of my students knew about my love for figure skating and will often tweet or send me messages letting me know who their favorite was at Nationals and Worlds. They all mentioned Medvedeva, and said they thought she was the best because of the way she performed. It's interesting that they didn't mention her jumps/Tano's at all. They also preferred Ashley to Gracie and always have. Of course, it's been the opposite for me on that front as I prefer Gracie.

However, this year Ashley was so great and she didn't depend on others to falter to get herself on the podium. For that reason alone, she deserves huge props for getting the US back on the Ladies Podium after all these years.

Funny MrRice, I never took myself seriously as a dancer. I was strictly B+, maybe A- at the absolute best. Except I had no nerves and knew how to BRING it to a comp or audition. I mean, what? I'm going to screw myself with nerves? Never. There is so much to be said for just laying it down when it counts. I don't see Medvedeva's brilliance but I do see her ability to lay it down. Gracie should train with her.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Marina Anissina & Gwendal Peizerat

They won the Olympics two years later, but only one Worlds (2000). They could have won four. Their results in 1999 and 2001 were close, and they opted to retire in 2002 prior to Worlds.

I have to say i agree and disagree. Anissina and Peizerat were wonderful but they easily could have had no world title and deservedly so to a team that never reached its full potential due to sadly injury Krylova and Oksianikov had to bow out and deserve to be considered. Almost an asterik to A and ps oly gold i know life isn't fair but to be balanced like k and o or not a good argument can be made they got more than what could have been or even should have been depending on your perspective.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

Ususally I agree with Mr. Butrskaya I mean mrrice but I am not sure it is totally fair to say Ashley didn't depend on others to falter - Mao and Gracie being key falterrs forget even Miyahara or Rad.