Best skaters who won only one world title | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Best skaters who won only one world title

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
some people think it's her mother who taught her how to misbehave ;)
What a Brat!!!! Throw a Tantrum when you get offstage. Did her Mother teach her anything? I've lost jobs before (As I've mentioned several times ;)) But, I have never had a public tantrum in my 51 years on this planet......

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
What a Brat!!!! Throw a Tantrum when you get offstage. Did her Mother teach her anything? I've lost jobs before (As I've mentioned several times ;)) But, I have never had a public tantrum in my 51 years on this planet......

Mr Rice...I think she was torn, with an overbearing mother, who, I believe was her coach for a time, and likely poorly advised that she was "wronged". I just watched the 2 performances and while tech. Surya was superior, there is not denying the elegance and artistry of Sato. Bonaly had very few transitions and was sooo slow in parts. Sato's coach was Elizabeth Manley's coach (Peter Dunfield) and he knew from experience, that you needed both to win.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i feel bad for surya... she had a tough upbringing...can you imagine having for coach, DIDIER and her mother ? waaaaaaaa.... and of course, they invented stories about her.... like she was born on Reunion island which isn't true etc... her whole childhood must have felt like a lie.... on top of that, she was trying to follow Ito's push into technique... being the first and only woman (I think ) to try the 4T.... and who doesn't remember the ISU telling her that the backflip wasn't allowed because a jump needs to be landed on one foot... and then, she learns how to do it on one foot and ADDS the 3S to it... and it's still illegal :)

Kudos to her, when in Nagano, she was out of contention for doing the backflip, a banned move that cost her a deduction... :) I am sure she felt that the ISU would never support her....

mrrice

Record Breaker
Mr Rice...I think she was torn, with an overbearing mother, who, I believe was her coach for a time, and likely poorly advised that she was "wronged". I just watched the 2 performances and while tech. Surya was superior, there is not denying the elegance and artistry of Sato. Bonaly had very few transitions and was sooo slow in parts. Sato's coach was Elizabeth Manley's coach as well (Dunfield) and he knew from experience that you needed both to win.

This is exactly what I think happened. I think her Mother convinced her that she was wronged and she was clearly upset before the ceremony ever began. My question is.....If she was so upset, why bother to go out there at all if she was just going to act like a brat!! This was a "Stunt" and I truly think her Mother put her up to it.

mrrice

Record Breaker
i feel bad for surya... she had a tough upbringing...can you imagine having for coach, DIDIER and her mother ? waaaaaaaa.... and of course, they invented stories about her.... like she was born on Reunion island which isn't true etc... her whole childhood must have felt like a lie.... on top of that, she was trying to follow Ito's push into technique... being the first and only woman (I think ) to try the 4T.... and who doesn't remember the ISU telling her that the backflip wasn't allowed because a jump needs to be landed on one foot... and then, she learns how to do it on one foot and ADDS the 3S to it... and it's still illegal :)

Kudos to her, when in Nagano, she was out of contention for doing the backflip, a banned move that cost her a deduction... :) I am sure she felt that the ISU would never support her....

I remember that backflip like it was yesterday. In fact, it was basically a layed out back flip

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I was trying to think of the best skaters that have zero world titles. I guess Tonya Harding, Nancy Kerrigan, and another skater who people don't talk about very much, Russia's Viktoria Volchkova. Julia Sebestyen, Vanessa Gusmeroli, Angela Nikodinov, and Elena Liashenko also come to mind.

You could easily add then to this list Josee Chouinard, Nicole Bobek, Caryn Kadavy, Elena Sokolova, Tanya Sawchenko, Tonya Harding for that matter, Fumie Suguri, Sasha Cohen, Tiffany Chin, Joannie Rochette,

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
joannie at least, got rewarded at both WC and OG (despite always being shortchanged on PCS) but Josée... sigh... she never managed to put two programs back to back... she was perhaps one of the most gifted skaters of her era not earning a medal... at least she got a silver at GPF one year... but yeah... big sigh for josée BIG jumps
You could easily add then to this list Josee Chouinard, Nicole Bobek, Caryn Kadavy, Elena Sokolova, Tanya Sawchenko, Tonya Harding for that matter, Fumie Suguri, Sasha Cohen, Tiffany Chin, Joannie Rochette,

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
and if we are going to talk about awesome skaters to never medal : sandhu... winner of GPF.. but no world medals.... sigh

Spiral

Final Flight
I'll only mention skaters whom I saw skating during their competitive years, since it's difficult for me to appreciate the athletic aspect of skaters from the past eras when I didn't get to see the rest of the field.

Best skaters who never won a World title: Kavaguchi/Smirnov, Machida, Savoie, Weir, Drobyazko/Vanagus, Kulik, Bechke/Petrov.

(Since K/S are still skating, there's a chance they'll pull out an outstanding performance at Worlds, for once, but since they've had a long career and have had many brilliant programs and performances over the years, I feel justified including them on this list.)

Best skaters who've won only one World title: Ito (my favorite ladies singles skater!), Usova/Zhulin (mesmerizing even in romantic programs after their divorce), Anissina/Peizerat, Chen Lu, Domnina/Shabalin, Arakawa, Petrenko, Buttle, Eldredge, Sato, Shishkova/Naumov, Eltsova/Bushkov.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
and if we are going to talk about awesome skaters to never medal : sandhu... winner of GPF.. but no world medals.... sigh

When it comes to his flair, presentation, spins and skating as a whole you can count only few skaters of that calibre. A true artist. Unfortunately he was a total headcase, not good in competing.

Last edited:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I believe Sato won the year Surya Bonaly refused to step on the silver podium, then when presented with a medal, took it off in protest. All the while Momma Bonaly was orchestrating from rinkside.

Def., one of the low moments of the sport.

Yes, that was really bad manners from both of them.

mrrice

Record Breaker

I know......Oh My Eman...:agree: Talk about dancing skills. He was the guy they always said was too talented for his own good. Granted, when I saw him on So You Think You Can Dance, I couldn't believe his Ballet Teacher let him skate at all. He is REALLY good. Wasn't he in a high caliber dance academy or something like that?

Last edited:

Spiral

Final Flight
Another brilliant skater whom I forgot to mention in the never won a World title category: Alexander Abt.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Another brilliant skater whom I forgot to mention in the never won a World title category: Alexander Abt.

Seriously, Abt should've won the 2002 European title over Yagudin although I love Yaguin, but he clearly underperformed at the competition.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I started watchng past pair performances in Olympics and Worlds from 1980s to 1990s and got to love the listed skaters who only won their World title once.

Some people said either the East Germans or Canadians should've won the 1983 worlds title over Valova/Vasiliev, so both could've accomplished more.
They were also both very unfortunate at the 1984 Olympics...what a pity.

Sabine Baeß / Tassilo Thierbach 82 Worlds
Barbara Underhill / Paul Martini 84 Worlds

Funnily, from 1994 to 1997, all the winners in pairs earned only one World title.

Evgenia Shishkova / Vadim Naumov 94 Worlds (I love their 92 Olympic performances too. They were so lowballed at that times)
Radka Kovaříková / René Novotný 95 Worlds (I think they should've won the 92 Olympics' bronze over Brasseur/Eisler)
Marina Eltsova / Andrei Bushkov 96 Worlds
Mandy Wötzel / Ingo Steuer 97 Worlds

Last edited:

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist

That GPF win was strictly a fluke due to the new judging system. I was there and Plushenko outskated him soundly. But I forget what happened, but Plush wasn't given credit for a 4toe or 3axel due to the strange new system. Eman's LP was okay, but was shaky and weak.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
That GPF win was strictly a fluke due to the new judging system. I was there and Plushenko outskated him soundly. But I forget what happened, but Plush wasn't given credit for a 4toe or 3axel due to the strange new system. Eman's LP was okay, but was shaky and weak.

I believe Plushenko (or his coach/choreographer) was just counting wrong and he didn't use one of his jumping passes. No jump = no points. So it was a fluke, but it was a "fair" fluke.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I believe Plushenko (or his coach/choreographer) was just counting wrong and he didn't use one of his jumping passes. No jump = no points. So it was a fluke, but it was a "fair" fluke.

exactly... in the end of the day, the record books do not say, Sandhu won simply because someone miscalculated ... a win is a win