2016 Rio: Track and Field | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2016 Rio: Track and Field

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
And while Buko qualified also for the discus final with his last attempt, Toader has been found doped and he'll lose the silver medal and every result he did from June.

Take a look at the discus competition in Kingston Junior WC https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_World_Junior_Championships_in_Athletics_–_Men's_discus_throw
Malachowski is only 6th aaaaaaaand....... Harting didn't even qualify! :biggrin:
I wonder who the first three guys are....

Lol at Toader. At times like this? That was very stupid of him or his team. Well, at least Buko threw better thanks to him. With juniors you never know what will happen. Sometimes they choose to leave the sports, sometimes injury makes them leave the sport. And sometimes you don't have great results as junior, but years later you become World Champion, like Javier Fernandez ;) I think it's not only about perserverance, but also how big competition you have in your country. Javi is where he is, beacuse he could go to competitions reagrdles if he has done great or not. I think many athletes resigned beacuse of too deep field in the discipline in their country. We, in Poland, don't have that problem :laugh: We send same athletes at 3 or 4 consecutive Olympics, because we don't have substitutes (rarely because they're that good). In US you have to be Michael Phelps to go to so many Olympics.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Neeraj Chopra today was :love: I really hope he's going to Olympics, he's a pure talent. Also super impressed by Volz in Pole Vault. Beating his PB by almost 20 cm. That's huge.
Regarding Diamond League, I think there are already some clear favourites for Olympics, becuase of regularity. Joe Kovacs, Katerina Stefanidi, Beitia Ruth, Sandra Perkovic, Anita Włodarczyk, Paweł Fajdek....

EDIT: Just read that Chopra didin't menage to qualify for Olympics :( Well,I hope to see him next year in World Championships then.

Last edited:

alebi

Medalist
Neeraj Chopra today was :love: I really hope he's going to Olympics, he's a pure talent. Also super impressed by Volz in Pole Vault. Beating his PB by almost 20 cm. That's huge.
Regarding Diamond League, I think there are already some clear favourites for Olympics, becuase of regularity. Joe Kovacs, Katerina Stefanidi, Beitia Ruth, Sandra Perkovic, Anita Włodarczyk, Paweł Fajdek....

EDIT: Just read that Chopra didin't menage to qualify for Olympics :( Well,I hope to see him next year in World Championships then.

Yes Chopra will NOT go to Rio because he had a 82m and something before Junior WC (the minimum was 83m and the last day was 11 July)... Unfortunately we won't see a new possible Walcott case... because in javelin there's still not a clear favourite. Rohler did two amazing throws in Finland but till now he failed all the big championships (but I would be happy if he'll get the gold).

I agree with many early predictions:
Kovacs is very stable and he's one of the first US shot putters who doesn't feel the pressure.
Anita and Pawel are two machines. Perkovic too.
Mo Farah is another one difficult to beat whether they run fast or decide to do a tactical race. He's an amazing finisseur.
And Schippers is really focused on 200m. I dare she'll break the WR sooner or later.
I like Stefanidi, she's very solid, but there are too many pole vaulters at very high level and she doesn't have the same experience of, for example, Beitia. You never knows.... I wouldn't bet on her while in high jump definitely yes.
At last, I want Kiprop to FINALLY win 1500m!!!

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
So you were right about about Pole Vault. Sandi Morris jumped 4.93m and is WL. There is no clear favourite. It's going to be very exciting. I wish they would let Insibayeva compete, it would probably be the best Pole Vault competition ever. Well, it may still be, but I was hoping for 5m jumps.

musicfan80

Medalist
Between Suhr, Morris, Silva (Cuba), Murer (Brazil), and Stefanidi (Greece) - the women's pole vault competition will be insane.

Between the men's and women's high jump, long jump, shot put, and pole vault - I think we could see the best ever field evens competition at the Olympics. Which I think is needed because I don't think they get the cover that they deserve.

alebi

Medalist
Between Suhr, Morris, Silva (Cuba), Murer (Brazil), and Stefanidi (Greece) - the women's pole vault competition will be insane.

Between the men's and women's high jump, long jump, shot put, and pole vault - I think we could see the best ever field evens competition at the Olympics. Which I think is needed because I don't think they get the cover that they deserve.

THIS!:clapper:

I LOVE field events, they're full of pathos, the leader changes over and over, or you see a little drama when someone has the last one attempt or has three fouls... Unfortunately during the last years (especially from the beginning of DL) TVs decided to not show anything of this but only a recap of 1-2-3 placements... As if field events could be compared to a shopping list...

Back to pole vault, Murer is struggling a lot this year, I hope she'll be in good conditions at home but till now I haven't seen her fighting during international meetings. Even Silva is not so stable as usual, once she's amazing, then she's out after few jumps. Unfortunately Kiriakopoulou and Buchler had some (little?) injuries lately. The more confident (especially at higher measures) are Stefanidi, Suhr and Morris (the last one is improving really fast) but there are also a lot of girls at 4.60 - 4.70 like the Germans and the young Swedes.
It'll be amazing :agree2:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Today we will have:
1. Men's Discus Throw Qaul.
2. Women's Heptathlon
3. Women's Shot Put Qual.
4. Men's 800m Qual.
5. Women's 10,000m (medal race!)
6. Women's 100m Preliminary
7. Men's 20km Race Walk (medal race!)

Poland has two Men in Discus Throw (a medal chance!), one lady in Shot Put, two Men in 800 m (another medal chance!), and two Men in 20 km Race Walk. Really something to look for tonight! :hap10: Tough I would watch even without Poles :)

alebi

Medalist
Ladies and Gentlemen....... Her Majesty The QUEEN!!!!! :hap93:

Morning Session

- Men's Discus Throw Qualification
Q: 65.50 q: 12

- Heptathlon: 100 Metres Hurdles

- Women's Shot Put Qualification
Q: 18.40 q: 12

- Men's 800 Metres Heats
Q: 3 q: 3

- Heptathlon: High Jump

- Women's 10,000 Metres Final

- Women's 100 Metres Preliminary Round
Q: 2 q: 2

Afternoon Session

- Men's 20 Kilometres Race Walk Final

- Women's 1500 Metres Heats
Q: 6 q: 6

- Heptathlon: Shot Put

- Women's Hammer Throw Qualification
Q: 72.00 q: 12

- Men's 400 Metres Heats
Q: 3 q: 3

- Men's Long Jump Qualification
Q: 8.15 q:12

- Women's Shot Put Final

- Heptathlon: 200 Metres

- Women's 100 Metres Heats

- - - Updated - - -

edit: cathlen... You beat me in fast typing :laugh:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
eheheh
first day intense for Poland, will you stay up all night? :coffee:

Right, real intense ;) I cannot stay all night, I need to let others sleep :bed: But I will record the rest and watch in the morning :) Anita is not that late, but other Polish Ladies of Hammer Throw are. And 100 m Qual. with Ewa Swoboda are even later...

Sophie-Anna

Medalist
I'm really excited that track and field will start today! My country will definitely have some hopes. I can't wait :yay:

alebi

Medalist
Yes, not amazing time in 100hs Eptathlon but Ennis seems back to her best shape ever :hap85:

Adam Kszcszot at italian interview "I can do everything, that's why I'm so dangerous" :cool14:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Yes, not amazing time in 100hs Eptathlon but Ennis seems back to her best shape ever :hap85:

Adam KSZCZOT at italian interview "I can do everything, that's why I'm so dangerous" :cool14:

:laugh2: I think he says these things with premeditation. He's always asked same questions!

In Polish interviews before Olympics he was more cautious, saying that he aims at medals, but he knows that as well as win, he can end up without medals at all.

Last edited: