Castelli & Tran: How Pairs Work in North Am | Golden Skate

Castelli & Tran: How Pairs Work in North Am

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
https://adivinesport.com/2016/06/08/interview-with-castellitran/

This long article is so excellent, and so candid, (and so long) that I have to share it!

Did you ever wonder how:

If you are a middle level US pair, what are the mechanics of being assigned to competitions? It's here?

How do you change your jump and throw layout and why?

What goes into pair costume choices?

What's training like if you're an alternate to Worlds?

Visa and citizenship issues?

How does money making work occur when you train in another country? How about when you train in two countries?​

So much good stuff in this interview, even if you are not a fan of Marissa and Mervin!

Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Thanks for sharing the article!. The interview is super lengthy, but covers a lot of information on Marissa and Tran in depth.

I loved reading Marissa' dress and her designer. I was intrigued by the lucky dress for Ashley borrowed from Marissa. :laugh:

dreamsk8

On the Ice
I love articles like this you really feel like you get to know and understand the skaters better :cheer:
Thanks for sharing it :clapper:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Their programs for next season are mentioned in the quote.

Mervin: We’re skating to “Fallin’”, by Alicia Keys. But it’s really not the version that most people will expect. And so we’re looking forward to performing it for the first time.

Q: Is it a live version of the song?

Marissa: It is. But Julie tracked down other pieces of music to go with it. It’s a different style than just the sexy, bluesy part of Alicia Keys. It’s going to be great.

Q: Rumor has it that you’re keeping last year’s Journey LP.

Marissa: We are. We’re keeping our long program. Mervin and I, and Julie, all felt that our Journey program can be such a crowd-pleaser and a crowd favorite. And we just felt like we never actually performed it the way it should be. We didn’t do justice to the piece yet. And that’s what we want to do this year. We really want to put some time and some more effort in, and we want to make it that great program that everyone will remember.

Last edited:

glorybox6

Final Flight
Love the song, but they are playing with the skate gods (and lining themselves up for a whole lot of snark) by choosing music called "Fallin" for a competitive program! Maybe they're trying to do that intentionally to psyche themselves up?

Great interview!

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
I'm sorry but Mervin's irrational undying loyalty to that Marcotte clique (they are not good for the discipline) is disastrous. Their program's last year were an absolute disaster.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I'm sorry but Mervin's irrational undying loyalty to that Marcotte clique (they are not good for the discipline) is disastrous. Their program's last year were an absolute disaster.

:rolleye: Your time would be much usefully spent if you take more time on your favorite skaters such as V/T. I find their music and choreography tasteful except the middle part of the free program. Marcotte is one of the busy choreographers in the field, which says her value and skaters highly appreciate her. I like many of her choreography for programs to pop music or soundtrack.

Last edited:

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
:rolleye: Your time would be much usefully spent if you take more time on your favorite skaters such as V/T. I find their music and choreography tasteful except the middle part of the free program. Marcotte is one of the busy choreographers in the field, which says her value and skaters highly appreciate her. I like many of her choreography for programs to pop music or soundtrack.

That is true, regarding time spent watching substantive pairs. Anyway, her programs are not wholly bad, per se, but many of them are just unacceptable. It also doesn't help that he and Marissa just are not a match, though I hope things turn around for him because he's enjoyable with attractive skating.

Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
That is true, regarding time spent watching substantive pairs. Anyway, her programs are not wholly bad, per se, but many of them are just unacceptable. It also doesn't help that he and Marissa just are not a match, though I hope things turn around for him because he's enjoyable with attractive skating.

There is nothing insubstantial about the team. Their partnership started only 2 years ago, and last season was their first full season as a new team as you know. They have potentials to grow given their respective career with their previous partners. It's fortunate for them to compete together unlike skaters in the paired discipline couldn't find their suitable or similarly leveled partner after their previous partnership didn't work out, so are forced to retire. Although I like Mervin much more than Marissa, they need more time and experience to get used to each other's strength and weakness. You've kept saying certain music/choreography/programs mostly by Canadian pairs are unacceptable in your book, but that is a matter of preference. Some may feel your favorites' program absolutely unacceptable to their taste, but they choose to say in more refine languages. If you think certain skaters are not your taste, why bother? If you consider they can improve their skills and lines with a different approach because you see there is a hope in their partnership, please do give them appropriate suggestions instead of whining or attacking.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

The "Marcotte clique" as you referred to them, are Mervin's coaches and training mates. What's he supposed to do, bash them? :confused2:

slider11

Medalist
Very insightful article. I like Marissa and Mervin very much. I think they have a good chance for top US pairs in the next 2 years. Alexa/Chris and Tarah/Danny are good but I think M/M have a special spark and some amazing talent that might surge them ahead. I look forward to their campy SP this year and the revamp of Journey. I agree that LP never got it's due.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
There is nothing insubstantial about the team. Their partnership started only 2 years ago, and last season was their first full season as a new team as you know. They have potentials to grow given their respective career with their previous partners. It's fortunate for them to compete together unlike skaters in the paired discipline couldn't find their suitable or similarly leveled partner after their previous partnership didn't work out, so are forced to retire. Although I like Mervin much more than Marissa, they need more time and experience to get used to each other's strength and weakness. You've kept saying certain music/choreography/programs mostly by Canadian pairs are unacceptable in your book, but that is a matter of preference. Some may feel your favorites' program absolutely unacceptable to their taste, but they choose to say in more refine languages. If you think certain skaters are not your taste, why bother? If you consider they can improve their skills and lines with a different approach because you see there is a hope in their partnership, please do give them appropriate suggestions instead of whining or attacking.

I give everyone's program a fair chance. I know what I like. The SP was okay but unfortunately the FS was a miss and I think they should've dumped it and gone in a new direction, though I particularly don't like pop or contemporary musics, though certainly should not move toward the cliched music of figure skating/other warhorses.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I give everyone's program a fair chance. I know what I like. The SP was okay but unfortunately the FS was a miss and I think they should've dumped it and gone in a new direction, though I particularly don't like pop or contemporary musics, though certainly should not move toward the cliched music of figure skating/other warhorses.

De gustibus non est disputandum.

Which does not translate to

My taste rules the world!

#justsaying

Terrific article Doris. Thank you for posting it!