Stephen Gogolev | Page 18 | Golden Skate

Stephen Gogolev

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
My version of his Junior Worlds SP is watermark-free (No Commentary 720p): https://streamable.com/pbbud

10th place is lower than I expected, but he's less than 5.5 points away from 1st, so Stephen still has a very good shot at a medal. :)

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Although not Stephen's best outing, a commendable JWC debut. His flying camel spin has really improved in the ease in which he transitions through the variations, speed, and the centering is spot-on. Even though he's currently 10th, if he puts out a similar or better performance than JGPF in the FS, he has a very good chance to get on the podium. Good luck in the free!

s_parks

Record Breaker
Still a commendable performance. I think he's in a quite ideal position going into the free, actually. Though I don't want to jinx him, I think of all the guys it's pretty realistic for him to climb to gold unless one of the top older guys(like, the level of Pulkinen or Hiwatashi) have an absolutely knockout skate, given Stephen's tech compared to the others. Plus, he's coming off a clean, solid SP performance without the pressure of being in a medal position. However the results go, I hope he has a skate he's satisfied with and gains good experience.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
WTG Stephen, a full set of medals this season with JGP and JGPF gold, Can Nats silver, and JWC small bronze. Hoping he gets some well-deserved rest now after a fantastic debut season :).

s_parks

Record Breaker
Really proud of how he performed this season. Feels like the disaster 2nd jgp was just a fluke because he did a darn solid job every other competition, facing the pressure and all.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Not an event he's likely to look back on particularly fondly -- he sets high standards for himself, to all appearances -- but fifth at his first Junior Worlds is more than respectable.

For next season, I really think Barkell needs to reconsider the quad Lutz's inclusion in the free skate. He doesn't need it at this level, and his current layout only repeats one jump -- he could do two quad Salchows or two quad toe loops much more reliably. I get wanting to work on performing that in competition, but he only got it once all season, and the situation got worse as it progressed, going from falling to popping, which suggests it was becoming a mental hangup to always miss it.

s_parks

Record Breaker
Not an event he's likely to look back on particularly fondly -- he sets high standards for himself, to all appearances -- but fifth at his first Junior Worlds is more than respectable.

For next season, I really think Barkell needs to reconsider the quad Lutz's inclusion in the free skate. He doesn't need it at this level, and his current layout only repeats one jump -- he could do two quad Salchows or two quad toe loops much more reliably. I get wanting to work on performing that in competition, but he only got it once all season, and the situation got worse as it progressed, going from falling to popping, which suggests it was becoming a mental hangup to always miss it.

Agreed. With the quad lutz out of the picture he could probably do a cleaner three-quad free with the toe and sal, which would be very hard to beat in juniors. Since he seems to be a natural when it comes to jumps I'm sure it won't be too much struggle to get back the quad lutz in the future anyways.

Kings

Rinkside
Stephen's been invited to skate in the Junior Worlds Gala! The event starts at 15:00 CET (10 am EST for anyone else on the east coast of North America) and he's in spot #9. The full gala schedule is available here: http://cloud.isu.org/index.php/s/AeYbN0MtixYipSh (first link)

I'm really relieved to hear this because that axel fall scared the heck out of me! So glad that he feels recovered enough to skate in the gala.

emdee

Final Flight
Looking forward to seeing Stephen on Saturday at SOI.

Saw him live once before a few years ago.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
TSL is reporting that Stephen is going to be coached by Raf going forward. Big move, should be interesting to see where it goes.

Too bad Nathan is away most of the time, because I'm sure it would be good for Stephen to train with him a lot.

Imov

Medalist
It was the granite piture that confused me.
maybe he willbe doing a summer camp with Raf then stay with Lee at Granite because of schooling?
He is still very young, travelling for competions already makes things complicated for him.

Nachi

On the Ice
I like his skate just like last season...but the music. It's very...stale/frumpy? I don't know how to say it in English but it doesn't suit him at all. Especially after he skated to "Run Boy Run" last season.