Rika Kihira | Page 17 | Golden Skate

Rika Kihira

Logirl

On the Ice
I have no issue with having different opinions, i'm not trying to shut you up, you can share your opinion and we can discuss even if we don't agree.
I have followed Rika through juniors too, and that's why i know she's prone to mistakes. What did you expect? To see her suddenly become perfectly consistent as she moves to senior? I try to stay positive and wish to see her clean every time, I do want to see her do well too, but i also always keep in mind that she is not known for being consistent and she has a risky layout so it is always scary to see her take the ice. You never know if she's going to deliver a gorgeous skate or crumble under pressure. Honestly, not having a perfect skate at her first senior competition (still there's the FS tomorrow) is not something to be worried about, in my opinion.

Yes I was hoping to see her become consistent this year. Sometimes it does happen. Yuna has inconsistent then something changed and turned that corner and became consistent. And I know you are not trying to shut me up. I just wanted to let you know I do respect your opinion. That is all any of us have is an opinion. No one is wrong or right. Thanks for your response.

rikaquegira

On the Ice
I do not agree that Hamada. I have heard Dick Button say many times that the practice should not be over kill with the hardest jumps that leaving the jump on the practice field. I am sorry but it makes no sense to jump that jump that much in practice. And the coach has came out and stated that Rika is too young to win that it should be a senior woman. She is worst than Eteri. Yes Eteri showed perference but she never came out and said what Hamada said. I hope Riki next season Riki move on to another coach.

I think it takes more than a few 3As to tire Rika Kihira... That girl is strong as a rock! And this is just a SP, which she delivered beautifully(same as at Ondrej Nepela Trophy).
Mie Hamada has a vision of figure skating that I'm sure is very different from other coaches and many fans. She believes in maturity, in growth, in beauty achieved through experience along the years. For her to say that she'd rather have Satoko win over Rika is no big deal, really(and at least she's honest!). Satoko is 4 years older, she has been around in the Senior scene for a while now, her skating is mature and exquisite, with amazing flow and deep, deep edges. That's what Mie Hamada wants to see in Figure Skating, that's what she wants for her students and Rika is not at that level yet. She is an incredible talent for sure and Hamada knows that and nurtures her well. I don't think Rika should change coaches at all and I'm sure she doesn't think that either. She has been with Hamada since forever now and she has achieved so much with her. The nerves are a problem, yes, but it seems Rika is growing out of it and managing to skate well under pressure so I'm not worried.
Rika gets better(in all aspects) each year, I'm sure she'll be a even more wonderful skater in the future when she has more experience in the Senior level.

I wish Rika good luck in the FS which is arguably one of the best Free skates of this season, no doubt! Really amazing program! :yay:

leoleo

Medalist
From a blog on tumblr i like a lot "Ah apparently Rika had some problems with 3A timing in practice before SP and she kept this bad image going into the SP. She landed 5 axels out 11 before SP and for her it’s not a good success rate and she ended up bringing the practice mistake into her SP." cr https://jumpitwithashuulanditwithapa.tumblr.com/

Thanks rikaquegira for saying it much better than i could have with my trash english :slink:
@logirl let's stay positive for tomorrow! There's still a chance for her to end up with a medal. Her base value is huge, the gap with the girls above her in ranking is non-existent. I am keeping my hopes up :agree:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think most skaters would like to have a jump be at a 75% success rate before they actually put it in a competitive program, but they can't always wait for that to happen. Sometimes you have to just go for it. I applaud her efforts. It takes guts, and after all, that 3A is the nemesis of many (mostly men!) skaters! The timing is tricky too. I'm sure she and her coach give plenty of consideration as to whether she should or shouldn't put it in the program.

MarinHondas

Final Flight
From a blog on tumblr i like a lot "Ah apparently Rika had some problems with 3A timing in practice before SP and she kept this bad image going into the SP. She landed 5 axels out 11 before SP and for her it’s not a good success rate and she ended up bringing the practice mistake into her SP." cr https://jumpitwithashuulanditwithapa.tumblr.com/

Thanks rikaquegira for saying it much better than i could have with my trash english :slink:
@logirl let's stay positive for tomorrow! There's still a chance for her to end up with a medal. Her base value is huge, the gap with the girls above her in ranking is non-existent. I am keeping my hopes up :agree:
She has a great shot for a medal still but needs a clean or just about clean freeskate. Come on Rika!

Kara

Final Flight
I think mentally it’s easier on her if she’s not first in the short. Chasing is usually easier than leading. She recovered beautifully, but the SP is seriously forgettable...Wilson and the Japanese ladies has been such a mis-match...The LP is sooo good so I hope she nails it!!

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
OMG I STILL HAVE GOOSEBUMPS. RIKA'S TECHNICAL SCORE IS THROUGH THE ROOF!!!! I'm soooo happy!!!!

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
This season has gotten a bit more exciting. Thank you, Rika! :luv17:

leoleo

Medalist
OMG i believed until the very end no matter what everybody else said and she actually didn't disappoint! i'm shaking so hard right now Rika that was fantastic yeeees! imagine how this will score when her PCS go higher

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
She did it! 1st senior season and already one GP Gold win!!! She is unbelieveable. She was so amazing on the ice. Even the German Eurosport commentators were so shook and said that they could cry because she was so beautiful.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
That thing that she does where she spins around 3 1/2 times in the air (I don't think I'm allowed to say it here) was great!

randomfan

Record Breaker
I'm so sorry for doubting you Rika...CONGRATS!!! :yahoo:

I still remember how at the end, I was literally like land the salchow, land the salchow, land the salchow, and then she did and I screamed and almost woke up the house :laugh:

Maria Anna

Rinkside
I'm so happy and proud of Rika. She did two completely perfect 3A and the whole performance was breathtaking. :luv17:

Congrats on gold medal! :yahoo:

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
Did Rika break Alina's tech WR? :)))))
I checked Alina's tech in Nehelborn, it was 83.++. Rika got 87.+ here

So much excitement for this GPS. I hope she does well in IdF.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
ahhhh Rika, this was hauntingly beautiful and technically brilliant!!! :love::luv17: her flow in and out of the jumps is great, beautiful spins and stsq, i really hope she can keep this up, and for those who thinks Hamada doesnt care for her, i think it was obvious how supportive she was before Rika's skate and happy she was after her skate (and now i go cry for my another favourite in a corner :slink::( )

leoleo

Medalist
Did Rika break Alina's tech WR? :)))))
I checked Alina's tech in Nehelborn, it was 83.++. Rika got 87.+ here

So much excitement for this GPS. I hope she does well in IdF.

yes she did! she was 3 and something points short of breaking the ladies free skate record! PCS held her back but i imagine if she can pull herself together like this all season, her pcs will go up. Ambessi on twitter said it was the highest TES record in the history of the ladies Grand Prix :love:
Will we see her land her SP 3A this season? stay tuned to find out :laugh2:

Protocols for those who want to see them!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DroewpZWsAAVlXF.jpg
She got a freaking +3 GOE on that solo 3A :yahoo:
Her TES content stayed untouched, not a single call. Her technique is so good, the British Eurosport uncles kept praising her edges and everything.
She also got all her levels on spins and step sequence, hallelujah :laugh:

In her interview she said: " I was a little nervous about yesterday's 3A but today I was able to land a good jump in practice so I'm happy.
yesterday, I had feelings like 'is it ok to let it end like this?' but I really ran with the feeling of 'from here on, I must do this' and was able to concentrate so i'm happy. I was able to get a lot of good experience and leave a lot of good memories and challenge for IDF. Without forgetting this performance, I want to aim for a performance beyond this one, concentrate and work hard" cr: https://twitter.com/axelsandwich

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
and for those who thinks Hamada doesnt care for her, i think it was obvious how supportive she was before Rika's skate and happy she was after her skate (and now i go cry for my another favourite in a corner :slink::( )

Truth! Hamada looked so happy and supportive in the K&C! Their hug was so adorable.