2017 Skate Detroit | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2017 Skate Detroit

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Do you know where the scores for Detroit will be posted?

Pro tip ;):
Always worth checking rockerskating.com and its social media accounts.​

Its Skate Detroit page has some play-by-play from the Senior Ladies SP in progress today.

rockerskating and its very informative content are brought to us by the tireless and knowledgeable Jackie Wong, a one-man band who is an amazing resource for skating fans.

ETA:
So ... per Jackie's tweeting, the streaming quality was [I'm paraphrasing] hopeless and maddening.​

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
That's sad to hear for the paying watchers.
What a downgrade when last year's FREE streaming was at better quality.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
That's sad to hear for the paying watchers.
What a downgrade when last year's FREE streaming was at better quality.

Totally understand that anyone who paid would be unhappy with poor streaming quality.

TBH, I do not have any independent memory one way or the other about last year's quality.

But worth mentioning that the streaming provider is the same this year as it was last year.
So I do wonder whether circumstances beyond its control resulted in yesterday's bad quality???

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Fairly rough SP for Mirai. Fall on the 3F so no combo which made her add a (2?) Toe to her 3Z. I do love that she went for the 3A. Two footed and UR but she went for it! I also love that she put the 3Z back into her program. I wish she would bring back the 3Z-3T combo to her SP but at least she brought the 3Z back into her SP as a single jump (though she had to tack on a jump at the end of it due to falling on the Flip). I hope she skates great in the FS!

Mirai was lovely and the choreography was pleasant. Nothing to fret over for July.

But the performance brought to the fore that, for Mirai, "land the jumps." In terms of competitiveness, nothing else really matters.

Valiant 3A attempt, though.

Last edited:
Good performance by Courtney Hicks. I think she needs bigger music, though. Somehow I got the feeling that she was skating bigger than her music.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Good performance by Courtney Hicks. I think she needs bigger music, though. Somehow I got the feeling that she was skating bigger than her music.

I think this music is perfect for Courtney. Due to its subtle quality, it really brings out the power and speed in her skating. It also smooth's out some of the rough edges in her skating. I do have a question though.....Is she trying to tack a 3loop onto that opening combo? If so, if she lands it at Nationals, she could really be a threat. Her spins have improved greatly over the last two seasons and if she goes clean, she could definitely shake things up at Nationals.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I think Courtney's packaging is much improved. Her SP look/dress is by far my favorite from him, and her free is lovely was well. Things are working for her this year.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Is there anywhere one can see the actually scores ie. tech and pcs for each skater?