Mia Caroline Risa Gomez | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Mia Caroline Risa Gomez

Country
Norway
I totally missed out on that Absoluteskating had a conversation with Mia in the mixed zone during EC. I found it here.

Mia Caroline Risa Gomez: "I could relate to Wonder Woman"

At her debut Europeans Norwegian Mia Caroline qualified for the free skate and showed two beautiful programs. In the mixed zone after her free skate, she told us a bit more about them.

Her short program to "Metamorphosis Two" by Philip Glass was choreographed by another Norwegian skater we love dearly, Sondre Oddvoll Bøe: "This was my first year working with him and it was absolutely amazing. He was really good at creating programs made specifically for me. He knows me as well, so he knows things I like, the way I skate. And he was very good with building up the program, I thought he did an amazing job. And I really, really love this program.
I thought it was an amazing collaboration and I can't wait to work with him again next season."

Her free skate is to the "Wonder Woman" soundtrack, and this is how she explained her choice: "When I first heard the music, I thought it sounded really cool, and I loved the music cuts, but I hadn't seen the movie at that point. So, I straight away went and watched the movie, and I just fell in love with this character. I tried to get into her feelings and emotions and see who she was. I could relate to her so much, to her strength and passion. I felt like it suited me very well, and I tried to show in my program the same amount of power that she shows in the movie."

Overall, she was very pleased with her competition in Espoo: "I'm very happy I was chosen to compete at the Europeans. It was my first time, so I was a bit nervous. But skating to such a nice crowd and in such a big competition felt nice. So, I'm very grateful for the opportunity."
No doubt she'll enjoy skating to an even bigger and louder crowd in Japan this week.

It seems she will be working more with Sondre on new programs, so i´m guessing he will make her new FP!

Country
Norway
Sondre Oddvoll Bøe is in Stavanger this week and working with Mia on programs. According to a story he posted today, she is keeping her SP, but doing some changes. And he is making a new FP for her, that yet has to be announced. I´m excited about this. Hope there will be more hints in the upcoming days about the new program!

Country
Norway
According to Mia Risa Gomez skating club, she is in Colorado Springs now training with team US:jaw::jaw:

Lorenzo Magri is having a training camp there now, i´m guessing she is there to train at the camp. I also saw on his story that Carolina Kostner is at the camp.

Wow, really exciting for Mia training with such top level skaters. I hope she get a lot of experience from the training camp!

Country
Norway

Mia, Jari and Lorenzo :biggrin:

Looks like she had a great time. She also got picture with her and Carolina, and seems to have been working with the same group of skaters like Josephine Lee and Mia Kalin. Looks like Ilia, Amber, Gracie was at the camp too!

Lorenzo posted a picture of him, Mia and Jari on his story and wrote: "Thanks to perfect demonstrators and hard workers Jari Kessler and Mia Risa - proud of you". Lorenzo seems to be very supportive to Mias skating.

Last edited:
Country
Norway
I wasn´t expecting anything else, but Mia is not going to compete in JGP next season all though she is still young enough. They have selected Pernille With and Oda Havgar for the spots.

Clearly the federation has not chosen the best skater, but base the selection on development. I totally understand the decision.

Still it´s kind of a pity because if they wanted to think about good placement, I think with Mias current shape she could possibly have been an underdog to reach the JGP final or a really good placement at one of the JGP stages, and get some extra ranking points for WS.

Though, it seems fairly common here that once a skater is listed at the senior team they only do senior competitions.

Looking at the bright side, Mia is listed as an elite skater next season and will get more funding and hopefully it means she will get more Challengers next season.

Also, theoretically, though not very likely, since she won´t do JGP she can be selected for an open spot at GP this season.

Last edited:

DizzyFrenchie

Record Breaker
I wasn´t expecting anything else, but Mia is not going to compete in JGP next season all though she is still young enough. They have selected Pernille With and Oda Havgar for the spots.

Clearly the federation has not chosen the best skater, but base the selection on development. I totally understand the decision.

Still it´s kind of a pity because if they wanted to think about good placement, I think with Mias current shape she could possibility have been an underdog to reach the JGP final or a really good placement at one of the JGP stages, and get some extra ranking points for WS.

Though, it seems fairly common here that once a skater is listed at the senior team they only do senior competitions.

Looking at the bright side, Mia is listed as an elite skater next season and will get more funding and hopefully it means she will get more Challengers next season.

Also, theoretically, though not very likely, since she won´t do JGP she can be selected for an open spot at GP this season.
Will she have a Senior Grand Prix spot?

Country
Norway
Will she have a Senior Grand Prix spot?
It´s theoretically possible if she for example would win a Challenger early in the season, and there was an open spot/someone who WD. Based on the result from last season she will not be given a spot a now, but Ava Marie Ziegler for instance got a GP spot only after winning a Challenger early last season, all though she was not on the SB 75 list. It will at least put you on the list if you win a Challenger. Then it´s still up to the host who from the list they pick in case of an open spot. For example, I don´t think it´s likely that SKAM would have picked her, but a host like Finland could possible invite her if she would have got herself on the list. It also depends of other things, for example Ava Marie Ziegler was given the spot for Skate Canada I thin in a situation where there was a very late WD and it was not easy to find a replacement in such short time.

It´s not just to win a Challenger though, but if there was an early Challenger with not so many top skaters, and/or not in shape early in the season, there is always a possibility. My impression from last season was that Mia was in good shape early in the season.

To be realistic, I don´t think she will get a GP spot this season, but I think this season could be a season where she can climb a lot on the ranks (I think we will see better marks as she climbs) which would make it more possible for her to be in the loop for GP spot next season.

I´m very optimistic on her behalf with the work she had with Lorenzo already, and that she was invited to train in Colorado Springs and got to work together with a lot of experienced skater. She is really putting a lot of effort in to become a higher ranked skater. It seems she has started earlier in the off season with important training camps, and she already started to train in her new LP before Easter. I´m guessing she will do as last season and spend most of the summer at training camps. I´m wondering if she will go to The Peak Ice Camps this year, or if she will follow where Lorenzo goes.

Last edited:
Country
Norway

Still it´s kind of a pity because if they wanted to think about good placement, I think with Mias current shape she could possibly have been an underdog to reach the JGP final or a really good placement at one of the JGP stages, and get some extra ranking points for WS.

Mia might go to JGP after all, they made a slight update on the selection. Because they selected only two skaters for 3 JGPs, if one or two of them get injured, there is possible empty spot(s) if the reserve can´t go either because the skater is injured or already did 2 JGP. The update says that Mia and Linnea Kilsand will replace them in that order, if it doesn´t collide with a Challenger.

Interesting, since they mentioned if it doesn´t collide with a Challenger, it seems likely that Mia plans to do an early Challenger.

Country
Norway
Great news! Mia is going to both Lombardia Trophy and Finlandia Trophy :hap10: :hap10: :hap10:

https://www.skoyteforbundet.no/kunstlop/nyheter/2023/uttak-lombardia.-nebelhorn-og-finlandia/

Lombardia Trophy is only a month away and will most likely be her first competition of the season, as the domestic competitions starts later.

I´m really happy she get the chance to collect potential WR points and try to get new ISU best so early in the season. The last couple of seasons the Norwegian skaters have barely be doing any Challengers at all. So that she got already two early ones is really great. Actually she did not even do any Challengers last season, because in the beginning of season she wasn´t even on the senior team. But she is now currently the only skater listed as an elite skater, so I did expect her to get some Challengers this season.

With JGP Budapest in between Lombardia and Finlandia, the beginning of the season looks great for Mia!

Still no update on her ISU bio about the programs this season. She is keeping her SP, but she got a new FP. Well, if there isn´t any update before Lombardia, we will know in a month :biggrin:

Country
Norway

Mia seems ready for the new season! She spent the last 3 weeks at Peak Ice Camp in France. She was also one week at Boot Camp with Jorik and Lorenzo in Netherlands. Then there was a week in Finland or Sweden (looking at the tagged photos on her IG), and also one or two weeks with Peak Ice Camp in June. And before that was the camp in Colorado. And then there was the week around Easter where Lorenzo came to her rink in Norway. In total it seems she had around 9 weeks of training camp!

Country
Norway

Pictures from test skate weekend. This seems to be Mias new FS dress. Wow, I really love the dress, it suits her so well. It looks very mature. I still don´t have a clue what she will be skating too, but the dress for me suggest something similar like her SP, calm/classical etc.

From the current IG video she posted, she added the audio of Cinnamon Girl - Lana Del Rey, I didn´t think it was related to her new program, but the dress actually made me think of something like Lana Del Rey, so maybe it´s not that far off.

Country
Norway
Mias ISU profile is finally updated on the ISU app, and Lorenzo Magri is added as her coach along with Nuriya Pirogova (coach from last season) :jump:

Programs:

SP: Metamorphosis by Philip Glass and Nicolas Horvath (same as last season)
FS: Samurai Swords by Highaskate
Happiness Does not Wait by Olafur Arnalds

Choreo: Sondre Oddvoll Bøe

I´m so excited about her new FS, it´s a blend of beautiful Norwegian and Iceland music. This is going to be very unique and beautiful program with the new dress. I hope it´s the acoustic version of Samurai Swords.

I bought the Lombardia Trophy stream and will be very excited to watch her this weekend 😁

Last edited:
Country
Norway
So the first competition of the season is over as Mia participated at Lombardia Trophy, placing 13th. Information is updated in the OP. It was a bit of a rusty start, but she nodded in approval in K&C so I hope she isn´t too disappointed with the first competition. It was a really early competition as well.

SP: 3T-3T, 1Lz, 2A
FS: 3Lz (turn), 3F, 3Lz (fall)+REP, 2A, 3Loq(fall), 2T-2T, 3S-2A-SEQ

Mostly level 3 and 4 spins and Stsq3. Good job!

Challengers are strict and particular this one was very harsh on PCS and GOE, so her total score seemed a bit low, but that not only goes for Mia in this competition. I´m not going to bother too much about the result.

Looking at the bright side she did some really good job with some of the elements and she seems to have added up som difficulties in her program this season with adding the lutz in the SP, and a second lutz in her FS. I did see a practice clip from the Salchows and she was doing a lovely 3Lz-2A-SEQ as the opening jump, so I supposed that is her planned opening pass, so that second lutz will normally not be a REP.

I´m curious if she is going to keep the lutz in her SP as her flip seems more stable, but since her next competition is JGP, adding the lutz this weekend was probably smart for practice.

Hopefully a better outing at JGP in 2 weeks. In previous seasons JGP was her first international competition, so this time she might have a better base.

Last edited:
Country
Norway

Someone already uploaded a video of Mias new FS!

I really love it and can´t wait too see it improving through the season. The dress is really beautiful as well.

Enjoy!

Country
Norway
One more thing, the information in the stream said that Sara Perl is Mias coach. I´m very confused since she isn´t even listed on Mias ISU bio anymore, but she is not listed either as a former coach, which is weird since she was coaching her until this season.

The person who was with Mia in this competition, was Nuriya Pirogova, so she is still coaching Mia.

So it made me a bit confused if Lorenzo is her other coach or not, but I would think her ISU bio has the correct information and the stream the old information.

Hopefully JGP in Budapest will make it clearer, Ted and Mark usually have the updated information about coaching.

Country
Norway

Best of luck to Mia in her SP tomorrow at JGP Budapest :hap10: :hap10:

She got the start. nr. 2 in group 3 and will be skating at 18.54 local time. A good draw for her I think!

Country
Norway

Well done Mia in Budapest :cheer2::cheer2: She placed 14th overall. After missing her combo in the SP, she delivered a strong free skate. She only did one error, a little step out on flip and placed nr. 9 in the FS of 38 skaters. She was nr. 20 after the SP, so she climbed 6 places.

This also gives her a new ISU best score of 146.45 in total and 101.25 in the FS. Yay, finally crossing that 100 mark at ISU best score and in a junior event :hap10: :hap10: All are updated in the OP and videos are added as well.

Her TES of 56.10 in the FS was also the 7th best of the ladies. From her planned program content it seems she only did one change, instead of a second lutz she did a salchow. So she can add more difficulties if she wants, or just stick with her salchows (IMO it seems to be her most stable jump). If she can score 56 in TES in a junior event like that, I think she has potensial to pass 60 in TES this season, particular since she scored 56.10 without a step sequence.