2017-2018 State of Russian Ice Dance | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 State of Russian Ice Dance

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
But they were the same people who put them 8th in sd destroying medal chances. Third was because h/d fall and c/b slip.

But they were still placed ahead in the FD over the Shibs, W/P and C/L in the FD -- albeit, barely.

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
The third is worthless. It just doesn't have any value because of short dance score. They had already decided to destroy them.

C/L beat them at Euros (where B/S were 1st after the SD, mind you). I'm pretty sure it's progress for them to place higher than them, and so close to the podium. They were the 2nd highest European team at Worlds this year, and are definitely in the medal mix. The judges didn't have to give them higher PCS than W/P and C/L... I'm not saying the judges absolutely gush for them, but I think they like them much more than you're suggesting.

5th (almost 3rd) at Worlds is certainly better than them placing at the lower end of the top 10 or even out of the top 10, as certain people had initially predicted them to finish. :biggrin:

gmyers

Record Breaker
C/L beat them at Euros (where B/S were 1st after the SD, mind you). I'm pretty sure it's progress for them to place higher than them, and so close to the podium. They were the 2nd highest European team at Worlds this year, and are definitely in the medal mix. The judges didn't have to give them higher PCS than W/P and C/L... I'm not saying the judges absolutely gush for them, but I think they like them much more than you're suggesting.

5th (almost 3rd) at Worlds is certainly better than them placing at the lower end of the top 10 or even out of the top 10, as certain people had initially predicted them to finish. :biggrin:

It's progress and it's not progress as they have actually Been real third at worlds! Actually win bronze medal. Not small. In 2013 it was DW, VM and then BS! Which is amazing.

BS did end up where most predicted. They got that way after underperforming SD and overperforming FD. I just believed problems which would get them 8th in SD were more eveident.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
B/S ending up 5th isn't bad.. most predicted V/M P/C and an American team (probably the Shibs) to monopolize the podium. I think I said a while before Worlds that they could come 4th at best... 3rd in the FS and 5th overall isn't unexpected (well, maybe 3rd in the FS).

gmyers

Record Breaker
B/S ending up 5th isn't bad.. most predicted V/M P/C and an American team (probably the Shibs) to monopolize the podium. I think I said a while before Worlds that they could come 4th at best... 3rd in the FS and 5th overall isn't unexpected (well, maybe 3rd in the FS).

Its historically bad for Russian number one team who previously had never failed to win or medal at pre Olympic worlds. So that's the main point! Treating a #1Russian team like its some #1 Italian or British team!

https://mobile.twitter.com/fs_gossips/status/859836458114461698

This seems to be about Zhulin wanted I/k and not s/k and will make z/g higher priority than S/k

LadyB

Record Breaker
B/S ending up 5th isn't bad..

Indeed. I'm as worried as many on this page are and I'm a big B/S fan! Still, nothing lasts forever, monopolies do get broken and, given a truly strong competition this year, 5th place at Worlds is a good thing. V/M coming back isn't helping..
I'll keep the faith and hope that Zhulin and new choreo will do their magic and bring them to the podium.

Will S/K be the second pair? I really don't think they had what it takes this season. There was injury time out, which has to be taken into account, also losing their coach and relocating throws a spanner in the works.

S/B struggling to make the top 10 in Worlds :slink:

Well, it was their first time and they're young and definitely hot and up for it. Believe!!!

I do agree, something has to happen. Quick. :cheer2:

Last edited:

Mattieu

Medalist
I

Well, it was their first time and they're young and definitely hot and up for it. Believe!!!

Hmm... it is their 3rd Worlds, 9th (2015), 11th (2016) and 10th (2017), which tends to suggest they are struggling to crack the top 10, as they only made the top 10 this year as the 2nd Italian team uncharacteristically screwed up. In 3 seasons they should've progressed more than this.

Last edited:

Perfume

Match Penalty
Its historically bad for Russian number one team who previously had never failed to win or medal at pre Olympic worlds. So that's the main point! Treating a #1Russian team like its some #1 Italian or British team!

This seems to be about Zhulin wanted I/k and not s/k and will make z/g higher priority than S/k
Everyone would want I/K over S/K
Sadly it won't happen. Things were done for 3 years.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
With the way both Elena and Nikita were skating lately not even the pope could do something about it. Especially for Elena, it feels like she regressed terribly in the last season. Nikita is the same mixed bag.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

But V/M came back, and P/C have come on strong in the past quad. The American teams have also stepped it up and surpassed the Russians. That's a lot of folks monopolizing the podium.

Russia kinda shot itself in the foot by putting stock in I/K and putting B/S as the number 2. And then I/K split and they didn't really pan out with their new partners, and B/S had to be re-hyped by the fed this season. If they had stuck with B/S immediately after the I/K split, they might have been more competitive with the Americans. Although I think they've already caught up enough to threaten for bronze. After all they almost just beat the Shibs at Worlds. I feel the same about W/P who I definitely didn't expect to be a hair from the podium themselves.

rosy14

Final Flight
After what happened at Euros and how things were handled at Worlds I wouldn't take the placements and points in Helsinki as very meaningful. Russia wanted three sposts desperately mad it has done EVERYTHING since Euros to get it. But failed.
And other Nations realised that and will not sit calmly awarding undeserved points.
Olympics are in Korea, in Asia, not in Finland, Europe, the backyard of Russia since centuries.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
After what happened at Euros and how things were handled at Worlds I wouldn't take the placements and points in Helsinki as very meaningful. Russia wanted three sposts desperately mad it has done EVERYTHING since Euros to get it. But failed.
And other Nations realised that and will not sit calmly awarding undeserved points.
Olympics are in Korea, in Asia, not in Finland, Europe, the backyard of Russia since centuries.

If anything, Helsinki was much more connected to reality than Boston was, so I don't see a problem in people taking stock in what happened there, especially because the rankings were decided based on who had less mistakes in competition. And I don't see this big push for three spots that people talk so much about. Had two american teams not failed hard in the FD, B/S would end up in seventh place, far, far from any chance of making the podium.

rosy14

Final Flight
But V/M came back, and P/C have come on strong in the past quad. The American teams have also stepped it up and surpassed the Russians. That's a lot of folks monopolizing the podium.

Russia kinda shot itself in the foot by putting stock in I/K and putting B/S as the number 2. And then I/K split and they didn't really pan out with their new partners, and B/S had to be re-hyped by the fed this season. If they had stuck with B/S immediately after the I/K split, they might have been more competitive with the Americans. Although I think they've already caught up enough to threaten for bronze. After all they almost just beat the Shibs at Worlds. I feel the same about W/P who I definitely didn't expect to be a hair from the podium themselves.

Well B/S stopped for one year after Sochi because he was injured. And I/Z and S/K seemed promising.
Then B/S came back, performed quite good at Euros 2016, while the others miserably failed, but she was suspended for the meldonium affair. No Worlds 2016.
So this year they started again.
In all of that I don't think Russian Fed could do much.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
But they were still placed ahead in the FD over the Shibs, W/P and C/L in the FD -- albeit, barely.

Re the Shibs, it was thanks to a 1.0 time deduction which some dance viewers questioned when they timed the lifts themselves. However, B/S were really close and the Shibs' score was a far cry from what they received at 4CC a month before even without the Shibs incurring that deduction.

B/S's bronze at 2013 Worlds was similar to the Shibs bronze here in that B/S were also 4th in the FD.

Last edited:

gmyers

Record Breaker
Hmm... it is their 3rd Worlds, 9th (2015), 11th (2016) and 10th (2017), which tends to suggest they are struggling to crack the top 10, as they only made the top 10 this year as the 2nd Italian team uncharacteristically screwed up. In 3 seasons they should've progressed more than this.

Top American teams rocket up the standings with no problem! All make gpf with no problem! S/b stagnate.

There is some truth in that.

I definitively think so because what's to lose?!?

Everyone would want I/K over S/K
Sadly it won't happen. Things were done for 3 years.

Sad!

Indeed. I'm as worried as many on this page are and I'm a big B/S fan! Still, nothing lasts forever, monopolies do get broken and, given a truly strong competition this year, 5th place at Worlds is a good thing. V/M coming back isn't helping..
I'll keep the faith and hope that Zhulin and new choreo will do their magic and bring them to the podium.

Will S/K be the second pair? I really don't think they had what it takes this season. There was injury time out, which has to be taken into account, also losing their coach and relocating throws a spanner in the works.

S/k won't even be second with Zhulin! Now he's being vicious!

With the way both Elena and Nikita were skating lately not even the pope could do something about it. Especially for Elena, it feels like she regressed terribly in the last season. Nikita is the same mixed bag.

They are both desultory

Look at what's written below! B/S did NOTHING in 2014-2015 season because of injury. Someone had to be dance champions! They should have just made s/b champion and disqualified S/k and I/z for a year!

Well If Russia got some kind of special teatment in Finland it was the worst treatment they ever got!

Well B/S stopped for one year after Sochi because he was injured. And I/Z and S/K seemed promising.
Then B/S came back, performed quite good at Euros 2016, while the others miserably failed, but she was suspended for the meldonium affair. No Worlds 2016.
So this year they started again.
In all of that I don't think Russian Fed could do much.

Absolutely! You are totally right for most part! Only thing I could think of was Russian federation punishing I/z for braking up and banning them from nationals for a year!

madforskating

On the Ice

Agree! Thanks LadyB for bringing a good outlook on this crazy topic!
Personally I think Bobrova/Soloviev and Stepanova/Bukin would be an ideal team. I try to stay out of the Ilinykh/Zhiganshin and Sinitsina/Katsalapov drama as much as possible because they seem to be all drama and no competitive drive. If you want something, you have to dedicate yourself to achieving that. I feel like B/S and S/B are actually trying to skate, whereas I/Z and Sin/Kats are just creating hype. I think both Elena and Nikita expected success to come easy, but champions aren't made by acting like prima donnas. If they want any chance at that team, they need to get their crap together (no botching twizzles and falling in random spots) and work like professionals. No rumors and whispering and under-the-table deals. Just pure practice and hard work.
And that, friends, is why I stick with the Shibutanis and Weaver/Poje...much less drama.

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
I don't follow junior ice dance that much, but what do you guys think about the chances of Loboda/Drozd? Aren't they ageing out of juniors?

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
I don't follow junior ice dance that much, but what do you guys think about the chances of Loboda/Drozd? Aren't they ageing out of juniors?

For this season they have very little chance of making the top two. Unless there's a big push for them, I don't see it. After the Olympics, maybe.