2017-2018 State of Russian Ice Dance | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 State of Russian Ice Dance

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Russia kinda shot itself in the foot by putting stock in I/K and putting B/S as the number 2.

Russia didn't put B&S as number 2. Bobrova & Soloviev won Russian Nationals by 11 points over Ilinykh & Katsalapov in 2014. Ilinykh & Katsalapov never won Russian Nationals. Bobrova & Soloviev have won every Nationals they have attended since the 2010-2011 season. (6 National titles). More than any other Russian dance team. As many as any Soviet dance team listed on Wikipedia. (Pahkomova & Gorshkov won six titles as well). But Lyudmila Pahkomova has the real record as she competed with two partners. Between the two of them, she won 9 national titles.

Last edited:

bramweld

Record Breaker
Given the comments from Kustarova, it would appear that both Ruslan and Lena have had serious injury issues this year. They just haven't chosen to speak about it. It might be good for them to just recover this season as their funding was cut significantly. Looks like the FED is going to roll the dice with B/S, S/K, and S/B, so if that's the case what's there really to say? I say let them do whatever they want, including doing absolutely nothing and enjoying their lives.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Right-o. I/Z's situation is so dire the only thing left to do now is enjoy their lives. :palmf:
Let's all act like everything that happened with their career to put them in this situation has nothing to do with them, like we've been doing for the last three years, I guess.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I don't follow junior ice dance that much, but what do you guys think about the chances of Loboda/Drozd? Aren't they ageing out of juniors?

Based on precedent they are headed toward a cliff. Do they have the stregnth and ability and drive to not be monko/khlavian, yanakovskaya/ mosgov, kosigna/moroshkin, I mean just look at every single team but Stepanova and Bukin since 2010! They are all gone.

bramweld

Record Breaker
Right-o. I/Z's situation is so dire the only thing left to do now is enjoy their lives. :palmf:
Let's all act like everything that happened with their career to put them in this situation has nothing to do with them, like we've been doing for the last three years, I guess.

Not indefinitely mind you. They showed us what they're capable of in the first seaon, but back then they had the backing of a sponsor. They had their challenges in the second season but they were still good. In my opinion the dire disposition persons have of them is in large part due to the ridiculous material Igor gave them last year plus their injuries. They need to step away for a little bit and regroup. Or thats my take on it. They are capable of much more, but probably they chose to rest in order to preserve their chances in the future. I am no insider though just making an educated guess.

Abraxis12345

Final Flight
Since when did people go to Igor expecting good choreography? People go to him to get help on their GOE, levels, and lifts. Chock and Bates became world medalists with a rather generic Gershwin program, so not sure how having a rather generic Indian program was at fault, especially when it got better PCS than the supposed masterpiece that was Frida.

Abraxis12345

Final Flight
Not indefinitely mind you. They showed us what they're capable of in the first seaon, but back then they had the backing of a sponsor. They had their challenges in the second season but they were still good. In my opinion the dire disposition persons have of them is in large part due to the ridiculous material Igor gave them last year plus their injuries. They need to step away for a little bit and regroup. Or thats my take on it. They are capable of much more, but probably they chose to rest in order to preserve their chances in the future. I am no insider though just making an educated guess.

They did not have a sponsor in their first season. Kustarova told Vaitsekhovskaya that they were paying for Najarro out of their own pockets. The sponsor came after 2016 Nationals and he cut them off after seeing what they brought to the test skates.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Since when did people go to Igor expecting good choreography? People go to him to get help on their GOE, levels, and lifts. Chock and Bates became world medalists with a rather generic Gershwin program, so not sure how having a rather generic Indian program was at fault, especially when it got better PCS than the supposed masterpiece that was Frida.

It makes more sense to blame him than the skaters, I guess. Look at C/B all this season, they made mistakes in a lot of important competitions, and yet people hardly blamed Igor for that. But when it comes to I/Z...

bramweld

Record Breaker
It makes more sense to blame him than the skaters, I guess. Look at C/B all this season, they made mistakes in a lot of important competitions, and yet people hardly blamed Igor for that. But when it comes to I/Z...

This is a pointless conversation. Igor didn't choreograph any of C/Bs material this season. Thanks to Igor though the beautifully choeographed FD we saw at Nebelhorn was whittled down to nothingness, worse C/B didn't have a clue how to interpret the piece. So yeah, that's all Evan and Maddi.

But kudos to I/Z given all their failings (fat, injured, lack of support, limited funding) they were only one fallen bracelet away from making the team. Also bully to them that they used their own funds to make in my humble opinion the only memorable russian vehicle these entire three seasons, Carmen. It was even voted the best SD of the 2014/15 season. Though it would be a shame to see them not reach their full potential, COR 2014 will always be legendary. Not bad for my cuties. I like em ain't no changing that :agree:

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
This is a pointless conversation. Igor didn't choreograph any of C/Bs material this season. Thanks to Igor though the beautifully choeographed FD we saw at Nebelhorn was whittled down to nothingness, worse C/B didn't have a clue how to interpret the piece. So yeah, that's all Evan and Maddi.

But kudos to I/Z given all their failings (fat, injured, lack of support, limited funding) they were only one fallen bracelet away from making the team. Also bully to them that they used their own funds to make in my humble opinion the only memorable russian vehicle these entire three seasons, Carmen. It was even voted the best SD of the 2014/15 season. Though it would be a shame to see them not reach their full potential, COR 2014 will always be legendary. Not bad for my cuties. I like em ain't no changing that :agree:

Yes, pointless to discuss. Blame it on the bracelet.

tinseltown

Spectator

Hmmmm. Interesting that you say that. Madi and Evan won The Professional Skaters Association EDI award for best performance in dance at nationals this year with that program.

Last edited by a moderator:

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
C/B's FD was really good. And it wasn't Igor who did it.

Back to I/Z : they indeed came so short of making the team. Even with those programs.
Their Carmen SD was very good. It was second at the europeans and 5th at worlds that year.

I know you have to listen to the coaches and all but I wish that Elena and Ruslan pick the music themselves (the music not a theme) at least for the FD (it's harder for the SD), because at this point it's better to have a music that you like and that you're comfortable with, because the road they've taken won't lead them to the OG.
I only fear something : the SD is latin, and I don't want to see an explosive, over the top Elena and a disappearing Ruslan. :disapp:

sunn1ly

On the Ice
It is funny how faithful are Elena haters. I hardly know any other haters so dedicated to their hobby. This is just one more prove how extraordinary she is. :) I actually feel pity for them if IZ retired what are they gonna do.

Abraxis12345

Final Flight
Yes, pointless to discuss. Blame it on the bracelet.

Yeah, it's always everybody else's fault. And given the snide comments Elena's fans have been making about Ruslan lately, it seems they are preparing to blame him if/when the split is announced.

madison

Record Breaker
Yeah, it's always everybody else's fault. And given the snide comments Elena's fans have been making about Ruslan lately, it seems they are preparing to blame him if/when the split is announced.

But what exactly happens with Elena and Ruslan? Is he so badly injured to end his career?

Marta25

Medalist
C/B's FD was really good. And it wasn't Igor who did it.

Back to I/Z : they indeed came so short of making the team. Even with those programs.
Their Carmen SD was very good. It was second at the europeans and 5th at worlds that year.

I know you have to listen to the coaches and all but I wish that Elena and Ruslan pick the music themselves (the music not a theme) at least for the FD (it's harder for the SD), because at this point it's better to have a music that you like and that you're comfortable with, because the road they've taken won't lead them to the OG.
I only fear something : the SD is latin, and I don't want to see an explosive, over the top Elena and a disappearing Ruslan. :disapp:

I wouldn`t underestimate Ruslan :) IMO, he would do very well with the Latin theme as well as with the Tango in the 2018/2019 season. I consider the Short Dance being their strength, they are very good in translating a clear defined rhythm to the ice, but they do struggle in finding the right Free Dance. While I loved Frida, I can understand why fans and judges struggled with it, the concept wasn`t very clear. It had a Tango part in it, but wasn`t a traditional Tango/ballroom program and further it wasn`t clear which role Ruslan was supposed to play. IMO, Ruslan is at his best, when he has a clear and defined role he can follow, like in Carmen or POTO, which he skated to with Viktoria back in 2011/2012. Re their Bollywood program I agree with people that it was pretty bad, but I think one reason it scored comparatively well with the judges was that the choreo and packaging was easy to understand and Igor does know how to get up those PCS, even if he isn`t creating masterpieces.

If we will see I/Z again on ice, I hope they go more the traditional/warhorse route, because IMO, they are the kind of team, that would do very well with big and epic music.

moriel

Record Breaker
Lets take an example, Aliona. Even after her previous partner retired, she is still on top. While Bruno isnt bad, its not like he would be anywhere close top 10 at worlds without Aliona - she just pulls it all. And she is 33.

So if Elena is so great and so amazing, why cant she do it too? Mind that she is younger. For example, its way easier to mantain weight when you are 20 than when you are 30.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
It is funny how faithful are Elena haters. I hardly know any other haters so dedicated to their hobby. This is just one more prove how extraordinary she is. :) I actually feel pity for them if IZ retired what are they gonna do.

Right, name-calling Stepanova and Bobrova, and Sinitsina, and Katsalapov is not hate. God forbid people open their mouths about Elena.
:rolleye:

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
I don't follow junior ice dance that much, but what do you guys think about the chances of Loboda/Drozd? Aren't they ageing out of juniors?

Pavel is clearly ready for Seniors, and in my opinion, he's the strongest Junior partner since Katsalapov's transition to Seniors. Technically he's much stronger than Khaliavin, Mozgov or Bukin ever were, and stronger than Ruslan was during his transition. But with all my love to Alla, they will not be ready to challenge top 4 Russian teams. Maybe Zahorski/Guerreiro, but not higher. Unless, of course, they will not pull Papadakis/Cizeron, improve drastically and have masterpiece programs, OR other teams will not BOMB again.

And there's one more thing. Their coach Ksenia Rumyantseva never was a favourite of the Russian Fed, she got students stolen from her, she slammed Tarasova recently in her social media account, so perhaps there will be people who will try and break her star Junior team. But I KNOW personally that Alla and Pavel are very good friends, and they will not be willing to break up in normal circumstances. I hope they will stay healthy and start to gain them reputation for the next quad.

Last edited:

bramweld

Record Breaker

Hmmmm. Interesting that you say that. Madi and Evan won The Professional Skaters Association EDI award for best performance in dance at nationals this year with that program.

True, but in the see of romantic fluff that we've got this season, only them, G/P and S/B had any interesting choreography, so that was a lock. The pity was they, or should I say Evan kept on choking on his twizzles. I don't get that though, he used to be Mr. Reliable. It could be that the pressure of being a couple ways heavily on him. I'm no insider her just an educated guess.