Favourite Warhorse Interpretation | Golden Skate

Favourite Warhorse Interpretation

TheCzar

On the Ice
There's always one or two who'll skate to a tired piece of music each season, but every now and again a skater/s can pull out a gem of a program that makes the piece fresher than ever. I'm curious to know which skater or skaters have skated THE iconic warhorse program?

I'll start with Rachmaninov's Piano Concerto No. 2- While Lu Chen's skating to the second movement was beautiful, and Sasha's sprightly iteration was one of her better career choices, for me Mao Asada will forever hold that piece as her own. Not just because of the context at the 2014 Olympic Games, hell even between her and Cohen's Tarasova choreography, Asada's comes out more balanced, artistic and fluid.

Malaguena- Javi? I mean.

Carmen- For the pre-IJS generation, of course it'll have to be Witt. But IJS and post? So many to choose from. Nagasu in 2010, that sexy and visceral Virtue/Moir program in 2013, even the ill-fated Samantha Cesario's freeskate in 2014/15. And that one from Max Aaron :scratch2: I have to go with V/M personally. It was just so different for them, and I quite liked the arrangement.

Scheherazade: Kwan, Kim, the xylophonic gem from Asada's slump year, that sham of a program from Kostner :drama: Davis/White, Evan Lysacek (again :palmf:)- I'll have to go with Davis and White here. Their Nationals freeskate in 2014 was pretty spectacular. Awesome cuts of music. And maybe because it was a romantic balletic piece- it worked better with a pair. I mean, it's a love story. Much as Scheherazade is supposed to be alluring and sensual- she wasn't doing it for herself.

Swan Lake- THE MOTHERLODE. Galindo, Takahashi, Baiul, Asada, Cohen, Ilinykh/Katsalapov, Wagner's breakout program- who gets the crown? I can't even decide on this one. I like sections of each skater's program but I can't choose THE comprehensive winner.

These are just to start- I mean there's quite a few warhorses. Sleeping Beauty, Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue, Samson et Dalile, Schindler's List, Les Mis, Turandot, Tosca, La Strada....the list goes on.

Let's read your list!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Patrick Chan has done so many warhorse programs in the beginning of his career.... and they are gorgeous ... 4 seasons, POTO, Aranjuez etc...

TerpsichoreFS

Marin Honda's skating skills
Final Flight
This is such a fun idea! I haven't been a real skating fan for long enough to really have a comprehensive view of warhorses, but the case of scherazade is interesting. Initially, it was Kim ' s spiral in 2009 that made me love skating, I remember her looking so serene and happy. But I think that my favorite may actually be Higuchi's.

Bolero- Anna Pogo. It was fire in Boston and I wish she'd go more dramatic with her programs.

And Turandot for me is Arakawa in her world win in 2004. It was beautiful. And Kim's Ness Dorma in 2012.

I have a irrational dislike for swan lake programs, because to me no competitive skating program with all the requirements that implies can do justice to Tchaikovsky ' s original piece. So takahashi wins by default.

Carmen- Plushenko forever. I loved, still love that program. He was perfect in it.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I loved Shoma's Turandot for the 2015-16 season. It was a pretty big piece of music for a senior debut. He has chosen to do Turandot for the 2017-18 season again, so I look forward to seeing the new choreography and to him taking the program to new heights. :agree:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

Amei

Record Breaker
Patrick Chan has done so many warhorse programs in the beginning of his career.... and they are gorgeous ... 4 seasons, POTO, Aranjuez etc...

Patrick Chan is the warhorse king and the queen is Sasha Cohen

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Then there's the untouchable best version of all skated by Paul Wylie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAgZkY6vAyY

I met Paul at Nationals this past Jan. The first thing I said to him was "I still watch your Pro Schindler's List program." He seemed really happy...Great guy! His and Yulia's have to be my two favorites. https://pic.twitter.com/AZUwF7fOIw

ETA -- It's amazing to me that he doesn't fall over backwards when he does that amazing spread eagle right at the end. https://youtu.be/DAgZkY6vAyY?t=252

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

Barb

Record Breaker
Carmen: V/M
Turandot : Shizuka
Swan Lake: Daisuke
Rachmaninov c.2: Mao
R&J: Yuzuru
POTO: I hate it
Sherezade: I hate it
Les miserables: I hate it

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I really don't think of musicals or movies as warhorses. Overdone, maybe, not warhorses. Anyhoo....

Scheherezade: John Curry. End of discussion.

Swan Lake: Rudy Galindo. End of discussion.

Bolero: Torvill and Dean. End of discussion.

Afternoon of a Faun: Janet Lynn. End of discussion.

Pagliacci: Toller. End of discussion.
(although I don't know if it's been overdone, so maybe not a warhorse, but I had to cite Toller for something.:biggrin:

You may discuss all other music :laugh:

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Well in that case then....
Riverdance: Bourne/Kraatz (End of Discussion)