Skating, PeeWee’s Big Adventure & Toller! | Golden Skate

Skating, PeeWee’s Big Adventure & Toller!

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
RIP actor Paul Ruebens who is best known for his character Pee Wee Herman.

What does this have to do with skating? Well, way back in 1991, a pair of young Canadian ice dancers found some music called Pee Wee’s Big Adventure from a movie of the same name and asked (of all people) Toller Cranston to choreograph it.

It is unique and unusual. I kinda wish Toller had done more choreography for ice dance. I’d love to hear your comments about the program and skating. The costumes are pure Toller. I can’t imagine a better occasion to revisit this unique piece of choreography. One thing I must say about Toller - nothing he did was ever boring. The skaters whose partnership imploded are fresh faced young kids here.

Last edited:

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
More from this unusual team with Toller Cranston

The Last Emperor

Original Dance - Blues

Original Set Pattern - Polka (must be viewed from outside USA, VPN - CAN)

Cinderella

Viennese Waltz

King of Hearts & Queen of Spades

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you @labgoat!:pray: I don’t think I remember this team and I certainly did not remember Toller doing choreo for them.

What a wonderful (for me :) ) discovery.

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you @labgoat!:pray: I don’t think I remember this team and I certainly did not remember Toller doing choreo for them.

What a wonderful (for me :) ) discovery.
I had you in mind when I posted it. I think this team is not remembered so fondly because of off -ice problems and the rise of Bourne & Kraatz, but the choreography is interesting and inventive and deserves to be seen.

I can see Toller all over them in the ticking clock of Cinderella, the King & Queen number with the music later made famous by Grishuk & Platov, the quirkiness of Pee-Wee and the beauty of The Last Emperor which he also choreographed for Lu Chen to win China's first world ladies title.

I also loved the blues, polka and viennese waltz OD numbers that Toller did.

Last edited:

midori green

On the Ice

What does this have to do with skating? Well, way back in 1991, a pair of young Canadian ice dancers found some music called Pee Wee’s Big Adventure from a movie of the same name and asked (of all people) Toller Cranston to choreograph it.

It is unique and unusual. I kinda wish Toller had done more choreography for ice dance. I’d love to hear your comments about the program and skating. The costumes are pure Toller. I can’t imagine a better occasion to revisit this unique piece of choreography. One thing I must say about Toller - nothing he did was ever boring. The skaters whose partnership imploded are fresh faced young kids here.

That's amazing! I watched that movie probably a million times as a kid. I could probably still quote half of it. "There’s no basement at the Alamo." I didn't know anyone skated to the soundtrack, but now I do. Thanks for posting!

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

Just saw this for the first time, and I love Love LOVE that programme!!!

The music, the costumes and the skating were all absolutely brilliant!!! :cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2: :points: :hb:

Thoroughly enjoyable to watch.

Mind you, I do have to question having what looks like an eye positioned over each of Jacqueline's breasts. It may be cool the way it makes the dress look like a face, but it does seem a bit inappropriate.

How have I never come across these two before?! If this programme is anything to go by, they should have been superstars!

It just goes to show that you can create something unique, original, different, and interesting with instrumental music. You just need a choreographer with a bit of imagination. And Toller Cranston certainly managed that. It really makes you realise how lazy choreographers have got nowadays, always reaching for the same pieces of music.

I look forward to watching at my leisure the other programmes from Jacqueline and Mark that have been posted here.

Getting back to Paul Reubens, I saw some episodes of "Pee-Wee's Playhouse" when I was younger, but to be honest I didn't really take to it. It wasn't really my taste in comedy. Nevertheless, I have to take my hat off to him. You have to be a brilliant actor and comedian to pull off a character like Pee-Wee Hermann. And boys but he did!

My thoughts go out to his family, friends and fans.

CaroLiza_fan

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just saw this for the first time, and I love Love LOVE that programme!!!

The music, the costumes and the skating were all absolutely brilliant!!! :cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2: :points: :hb:

Thoroughly enjoyable to watch.

Mind you, I do have to question having what looks like an eye positioned over each of Jacqueline's breasts. It may be cool the way it makes the dress look like a face, but it does seem a bit inappropriate.

How have I never come across these two before?! If this programme is anything to go by, they should have been superstars!

It just goes to show that you can create something unique, original, different, and interesting with instrumental music. You just need a choreographer with a bit of imagination. And Toller Cranston certainly managed that. It really makes you realise how lazy choreographers have got nowadays, always reaching for the same pieces of music.

I look forward to watching at my leisure the other programmes from Jacqueline and Mark that have been posted here.

Getting back to Paul Reubens, I saw some episodes of "Pee-Wee's Playhouse" when I was younger, but to be honest I didn't really take to it. It wasn't really my taste in comedy. Nevertheless, I have to take my hat off to him. You have to be a brilliant actor and comedian to pull off a character like Pee-Wee Hermann. And boys but he did!

My thoughts go out to his family, friends and fans.

CaroLiza_fan
So glad you enjoyed the program. I agree completely about the costume and about choreographers taking the easy way. I hope you enjoy their other programs. This couple was in between Wilson and McCall and Bourne & Kraatz as Canadian champions.