Ladies OGM Contenders 2018 | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Ladies OGM Contenders 2018

Shayuki

Record Breaker
I'm not even sure if Satoko is underscored. Maybe PCS-wise, but many of her UR'd jumps don't get called URs and even when some do, there tend to be several that do not.

She just really needs to fix her jumps if she wants to seriously compete in my opinion. It's not fair to others if she could do UR'd jumps time and time again with the excuse of "that's how she jumps" or anything else like that. They should get called as they are.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I'm willing to make an avatar bet that Daleman finishes outside of the top 6 :drama:

Really??? Come on now...Of all the medalists at Worlds, I would have to say that Gabby was the biggest shock. She has been on my radar for a couple of seasons but, to say that I surprised to see her on the Podium would be an understatement. Gabby had to EARN that medal and as the Canadian "#2" I don't think anyone saw her on the podium. I remember saying that I thought Canada would get 3 spots for their ladies and being told I was crazy.........You just never know. The clips I've seen of Gabby lead me to believe that she plans on keeping her status as a World Medalist and I'm very excited to see her new programs.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Really??? Come on now...Of all the medalists at Worlds, I would have to say that Gabby was the biggest shock. She has been on my radar for a couple of seasons but, to say that I surprised to her on the Podium would an understatement. Gabby had EARN that medal as the Canadian "#2" I don't think anyone saw her on the podium. I remember saying that I thought Canada would get 3 spots for their ladies and being told I was crazy.........You just never know. The clips I've seen of Gabby lead me to believe that she plans on keeping her status as World Medalist and I'm very excited to see her new programs.

Pony up. Avatar bet!

I actually like and have followed Gabby since CSG pointed her out to me in early 2014 for her explosive jumps. Obviously I'm not too confident in my ability to predict hence the stupidity of an avatar bet. You'll have to get one by the way. Still.....I do think that several skaters have the ability to surpass her when they themselves can turn it on because they are more well rounded overall. Just my opinion mind you but I think the judges will agree.

Speaking of world medalists.....they seem to be playing a game of musical chairs each year.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Pony up. Avatar bet!

I actually like and have followed Gabby since CSG pointed her out to me in early 2014 for her explosive jumps. Obviously I'm not too confident in my ability to predict hence the stupidity of an avatar bet. You'll have to get one by the way. Still.....I do think that several skaters have the ability to surpass her when they themselves can turn it on because they are more well rounded overall. Just my opinion mind you but I think the judges will agree.

Speaking of world medalists.....they seem to be playing a game of musical chairs each year.

Except Med..........:bow:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Except Med..........:bow:

indeed... but that's because she gets a phone call telling her the music is about to stop so she can sit down first LOL

You know... i mentioned it earlier in this thread : i wouldn't be surprised to see an exact repeat podium of helsinki. Medvedeva and the two Canadians. I, for one, do not find them so unpredictable. Gabby had to do some adjustments after her first grand prix but then she skated very well (forget the LP in France where she skated her big combo in the puddle and fell on it)... she ended up in top 4 in every single competition she entered and medaled in the two big ones.

Kaetlyn has huge powerful jump and an engaging personality. She has been stable in her grand prix season and for a new girl to the finals, she did well. One less good competition : 4CC but whatever, she didn't let that phase her down for worlds....

So yeah... i know some young russians and the strong japanese are coming, as well as the americans... but the Canadians have an advantage : they pretty much just have to skate at Nationals and they will be in... no blood bath like the other 3 nations will be going through... this may be quite tiring mentally for the qualified girls of the other countries : they will bare the responsibility of skating well at the games as other talented skaters have been left home ....

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Pony up. Avatar bet!
I'll pony up there Sam-Skwantch. So you believe Gabby will not be in the Top 6 in the Olympics, while I believe she will def. be in the hunt for an Olympic medal and a top 6 placement, in singles. Should she not, I will gladly eat humble pie and create one as my Avatar for a month. Should you be wrong, you will be the one in the Avatar corner, eating pie.

I guess my only other question for you is...apple, cherry or blueberry, because coming from the blueberry capital of Canada, I def. see you in blue. Similar to perhaps, a Rhapsody in Blue. ;)

Game On!

lappo

Final Flight
indeed... but that's because she gets a phone call telling her the music is about to stop so she can sit down first LOL

You know... i mentioned it earlier in this thread : i wouldn't be surprised to see an exact repeat podium of helsinki. Medvedeva and the two Canadians. I, for one, do not find them so unpredictable. Gabby had to do some adjustments after her first grand prix but then she skated very well (forget the LP in France where she skated her big combo in the puddle and fell on it)... she ended up in top 4 in every single competition she entered and medaled in the two big ones.

Kaetlyn has huge powerful jump and an engaging personality. She has been stable in her grand prix season and for a new girl to the finals, she did well. One less good competition : 4CC but whatever, she didn't let that phase her down for worlds....

So yeah... i know some young russians and the strong japanese are coming, as well as the americans... but the Canadians have an advantage : they pretty much just have to skate at Nationals and they will be in... no blood bath like the other 3 nations will be going through... this may be quite tiring mentally for the qualified girls of the other countries : they will bare the responsibility of skating well at the games as other talented skaters have been left home ....

I agree with you that the Canadian girls are certainly in contention for a medal and I agree with you about the advantage of not having to do much at home to qualify for the Olympics. However, two of them have to take part in the team event and, since Canada is in the position to get a medal (I would say a gold one, since they have strong contenders in all four disciplines) I guess that the Canadian Fed will have Osmond and Daleman skating there. I would not underestimate the athletic and emotional pressure of this event for a country who is battling for a medal (unlike for example Japan, who is not a real contender in the team event, so Japanese ladies will use it to get in the Olympic mood). Looking for the positives, though, ladies' events are the last, so there should be time for both to recover from the team event.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I agree with you that the Canadian girls are certainly in contention for a medal and I agree with you about the advantage of not having to do much at home to qualify for the Olympics. However, two of them have to take part in the team event and, since Canada is in the position to get a medal (I would say a gold one, since they have strong contenders in all four disciplines) I guess that the Canadian Fed will have Osmond and Daleman skating there. I would not underestimate the athletic and emotional pressure of this event for a country who is battling for a medal (unlike for example Japan, who is not a real contender in the team event, so Japanese ladies will use it to get in the Olympic mood). Looking for the positives, though, ladies' events are the last, so there should be time for both to recover from the team event.

i didn't factor the team event because as you say, ladies is so much later....

and Kaetlyn did it before...

we are also not sure both of them will be competing. I am pretty sure that D/R won't want to skate both programs, and it could be the same with Patrick.

lappo

Final Flight
i didn't factor the team event because as you say, ladies is so much later....

and Kaetlyn did it before...

we are also not sure both of them will be competing. I am pretty sure that D/R won't want to skate both programs, and it could be the same with Patrick.

This is also true, previous experience can be an important factor. I understand D/R not wanting to skate both segment and I agree with them, pairs is so close and they have a shot for the podium. Based on what we saw at Sochi, I think that V/M will happily skate both segment, so one problem solved. I know that Chan didn't want to skate both segments in 2014 and understandably so, since he was a favourite for the individual event; in this case however, both ladies have a chance too, so I think the GP and Nationals will be important for the Canadian Federation to come up with a strategy for the team events.

TGee

Record Breaker
... but the Canadians have an advantage : they pretty much just have to skate at Nationals and they will be in... no blood bath like the other 3 nations will be going through... this may be quite tiring mentally for the qualified girls of the other countries : they will bare the responsibility of skating well at the games as other talented skaters have been left home ....

Actually, the battle for the top of the podium at nationals among the 3 Canadian women: Kaetlyn Osmond, Gabby Daleman, and Alaine Chartrand since 2014 was a factor in getting Gabby and Kaetlyn on the Worlds podium.

Being the last two skaters after Medvedeva seemed to lock them into the 'we've done this', we know how to deliver mode that has been more difficult for them to find internationally up to now.....I suspect that now that they see themselves, psychologically in the hunt with Medvedva, we'll see more of the same.

....And I'm hoping that the battle for the top of the podium at Nationals, even if they have the relief of knowing that their Olympic berths are basically secure, will be enough to keep the vibe going...

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
I'm scared to make any predictions of my own, but I am having a great time bookmarking various posts in this thread! :popcorn: #coward

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'll pony up there Sam-Skwantch. So you believe Gabby will not be in the Top 6 in the Olympics, while I believe she will def. be in the hunt for an Olympic medal and a top 6 placement, in singles. Should she not, I will gladly eat humble pie and create one as my Avatar for a month. Should you be wrong, you will be the one in the Avatar corner, eating pie.

I guess my only other question for you is...apple, cherry or blueberry, because coming from the blueberry capital of Canada, I def. see you in blue. Similar to perhaps, a Rhapsody in Blue. ;)

Game On!

First off...don't think I'm rooting against Gabby making top 6. I don't mind eating humble pie myself ;)

Secondly....here is the avatar I'd love to see on you should she come up short.
http://orig09.deviantart.net/978f/f/2014/042/2/4/yulia_lipnitskaya_by_glee_chan-d7638sn.png

Keep in mind that I think a top 10 finish here is going to be a great accomplishment and something to be proud of. For the sake of clarification here are the skaters I think she is going to be in close contention with and could surpass her with a strong skate of their own to make top the 6.

Zhenya
Zagitova
Wagner
Edmonds
Satoko
Pogo or Masha (whoever makes that team)
Bell or Chen (whoever makes the team).
Wakaba

And let's not forget Osmond who is clearly a contender for a medal at this point.

Top 10 will be no joke and even Lil Bet could come unseat a few skaters on my list if she hits her potential.

I'm down as long as it's just for fun and not taken seriously :)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
First off...don't think I'm rooting against Gabby making top 6. I don't mind eating humble pie myself ;)

Secondly....here is the avatar I'd love to see on you should she come up short.
http://orig09.deviantart.net/978f/f/2014/042/2/4/yulia_lipnitskaya_by_glee_chan-d7638sn.png

Keep in mind that I think a top 10 finish here is going to be a great accomplishment and something to be proud of. For the sake of clarification here are the skaters I think she is going to be in close contention with and could surpass her with a strong skate of their own to make top the 6.

Zhenya
Zagitova
Wagner
Edmonds
Satoko
Pogo or Masha (whoever makes that team)
Bell or Chen (whoever makes the team).
Wakaba

And let's not forget Osmond who is clearly a contender for a medal at this point.

Top 10 will be no joke and even Lil Bet could come unseat a few skaters on my list if she hits her potential.

I'm down as long as it's just for fun and not taken seriously :)

wow... i know this is for fun but you have certainly made a lot of assumptions on the national teams for the USA and Japan ;)

i don't get nervous really because to me, there is only one girl on your list who beat gabby at worlds last year ;)

but i am not willing to take a bet simply because my avatar is too cool ;)

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't disagree that I'm making assumptions here but I think a fair way to sum up what I'm trying to say is in addition to Zhenya and Kaetlyn I fully expect one American and one Japanese skater to have the ability to challenge Gabby. If all four can surpass her that leaves two spots to stay top six and those spots seem pretty open. Gabby's good but IMO she does have a few weaknesses in PCS that leave her vulnerable. YMMV but I think we'll actually see a pretty tight event. That's what I'm assuming....at this point...in July....pre GP and Nationals. Lol...in December I may end up saying how foolish I was when someone comes along throws a wrench into things.

Really trying to be logical here but wonder if that's the most illogical thing to do.

Ps...are you saying my avatar isn't cool :furious:

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Proud member of the Canadian train here, and I would totally rock that Yulia avatar right now. :laugh2:

In fact: let's tell Med to beat it! Shooo fly! Vamoose! Get outta that top three! - and have a Yulia-Gabby-Kaitlyn podium, in no particular order. ;)

(Now before anyone attacks me, I like Evgenia too, the above was said tongue in cheek, I am realistic about the likelihood of that not happening, BUT, stranger things have happened in figure skating, soooo you never know! Or, at least we'll know after Russian nationals if that's even a possibility.)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I don't disagree that I'm making assumptions here but I think a fair way to sum up what I'm trying to say is in addition to Zhenya and Kaetlyn I fully expect one American and one Japanese skater to have the ability to challenge Gabby. If all four can surpass her that leaves two spots to stay top six and those spots seem pretty open. Gabby's good but IMO she does have a few weaknesses in PCS that leave her vulnerable. YMMV but I think we'll actually see a pretty tight event. That's what I'm assuming....at this point...in July....pre GP and Nationals. Lol...in December I may end up saying how foolish I was when someone comes along throws a wrench into things.

Really trying to be logical here but wonder if that's the most illogical thing to do.

Ps...are you saying my avatar isn't cool :furious:

nah... but yours is 4 years old ;) mine is timeless :handw:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So yeah... i know some young russians and the strong japanese are coming, as well as the americans... but the Canadians have an advantage : they pretty much just have to skate at Nationals and they will be in... no blood bath like the other 3 nations will be going through... ..

I agree with you about this. To me, it's rather like Carolina Kostner not having the pressure of having to perform well at her Nationals.... it seems like a great boon not to bear that pressure.

On another note, 4everchan, I knew that your capitalization practices can be rather erratic; and I knew that you always hold up the Canadians in your posts. But this is just .... well .... You capitalized "Canadians," but demoted all the other nationalities to lower case? Oh dear .... :confused: :slink:

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
I wonder, though: wouldn't a bloodbath be best to develop the strongest competitors? I feel like skaters from countries with very deep fields who'll have to fight for 2-3 spots will end up having a lot more incentive to improve and fight for their place. Can be very cutthroat, yes, but the experience might wield stronger skaters. Just look at Zhenya and Zagi, fighting to stay on top of a deep Russian lady field that gets stronger with each generation.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I wonder, though: wouldn't a bloodbath be best to develop the strongest competitors? I feel like skaters from countries with very deep fields who'll have to fight for 2-3 spots will end up having a lot more incentive to improve and fight for their place. Can be very cutthroat, yes, but the experience might wield stronger skaters. Just look at Zhenya and Zagi, fighting to stay on top of a deep Russian lady field that gets stronger with each generation.

I think it prevents artistic growth, because most skaters in these deep competitive fields are youngsters that never get the opportunity to focus on the artistry, because the tech score is where it's at. I think for example, that Anna has the ability to become a very mature artist with great skating skills - a skater like Carolina Kostner. But she's not there yet - and she might never get there, because unlike Carolina, who was easily forgiven, it is hard to have meltdowns and be trusted by the fed, because there are so many rivals at home. And then they have to be on top of the game during senior B's (they count), GP's (they count), GPF (that counts) and then Nationals. If you deliver at Nationals but fail at the European Championships...even then they can tell you, you'll stay home at the Olympics. So I'm not exactly a fan of "If Nationals doesn't kill you, you'll be Queen." :)