Ladies OGM Contenders 2018 | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Ladies OGM Contenders 2018

Shayuki

Record Breaker
I don't think that that's possible. There's not enough time for her to gain the reputation needed to score high enough PCS to beat Medvedeva no matter how well she actually deserves or whether she actually does a better job.

Then again, my personal opinion of Zagitava is that her PCS abilities just aren't up there. She can't even beat many of the juniors or pre-juniors for me in this regard. Because of this, it's a bit sad that PCS is actually rated so low / has nothing to with the emotional content of the program and more with how consistent your technical elements have been in the past, because that's what actually captivates me and makes me watch a performance over and over - a program provoking a lot of emotion(Sadness, because it's far more difficult to achieve than happiness would be). But this aspect seems to just... not matter a whole lot in the current state of things.

Well, that was just a side rant of mine.

TGee

Record Breaker
I don't think that that's possible. There's not enough time for her to gain the reputation needed to score high enough PCS to beat Medvedeva no matter how well she actually deserves or whether she actually does a better job.

Then again, my personal opinion of Zagitava is that her PCS abilities just aren't up there. She can't even beat many of the juniors or pre-juniors for me in this regard. Because of this, it's a bit sad that PCS is actually rated so low / has nothing to with the emotional content of the program and more with how consistent your technical elements have been in the past, because that's what actually captivates me and makes me watch a performance over and over - a program provoking a lot of emotion(Sadness, because it's far more difficult to achieve than happiness would be). But this aspect seems to just... not matter a whole lot in the current state of things.

Well, that was just a side rant of mine.

Good points....

And she's recently reported that she's sticking with last year's LP. No major changes, just some new transitions into elements. While more time with it might help improve her expression and allow her to focus on program components, it won't challenge her to remake herself for her senior debut.

[Forgive me if I'm reprising a point already made.]

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
I could see Zagitova's PCS rising like crazy this season with her consistency and if judges really want to create more competition. But I could also see it remaining relatively low, because of comparisons to Medvedeva. Evgenia is also crazy consistent technically (even if the BV is a little lower) and is much better across PCS categories IMO.

Ender

Match Penalty
Errant thought: What if Zagi gains unprecedented traction this season and beats Meds at GPF? Then drama ensues and Meds will choose not to train with her anymore and all other stuff will happen, etc. The Ladies event will then be called Battle of the Eteri Girls!

I can only hope, because I want drama.
Med will have combo in the second half of the program, she will change her layout so maybe she will make mistake.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Med will have combo in the second half of the program, she will change her layout so maybe she will make mistake.

This is a girl who skates 5-6 combo programs in practice routinely. I don't see how that would be a problem for her...

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Seriously has anyone heard about how Carolina, Satoko and Gracie's training are going? These ladies could really be threats. And while we are at it any more updates on Adelina and Yulia - when we last saw Yulia compete she really looked broken/injured.

ejnsofi

Final Flight
Seriously has anyone heard about how Carolina, Satoko and Gracie's training are going? These ladies could really be threats. And while we are at it any more updates on Adelina and Yulia - when we last saw Yulia compete she really looked broken/injured.

I agree that Satoko can be a threat, Caro less likely but Gracie? I saw a recording of her performance in this year ice show and there are novice skaters in Japan and Russia who can show more than Gracie did.
Yulia recently updated some pictures and she was seen in newly built apartment complex where she was given a new flat. She looked happy but completely out of shape. Besides in Adelina and Yulia case the question isn't whether or not they are OGM contender but whether of not they are going to make it to the team (in my personal opinion they have no chance)

Zhafiraiha

On the Ice
I have to agree about Yulia. She had a rough time to recovery with everything that's happened, so it was a relief to finally see her back on sosial media with a huge smile on her face. Despite this, she really was out of shape and it might be difficult for her to make it to the Olympic team.

skatenewbie

Medalist
i can see zagitova PCS rising easily, i mean when Yulia can so Zagi can too. imo Yulia does have better artistry than Zagi, but still she went up to 70 PCS which no skater have reach except you are Caro, Yuna, Mao (at that time). remember that Zagi 76 TES in JWC doesnt include ChSq + its GOE that was part of senior element

Shayuki

Record Breaker

Julia actually had a really good SP in Rostelecom. It's too bad she's been suffering an injury after injury in recent times, though. But if she can somehow reach the level of performance that she had for that SP, she should technically be able to challenge for a spot in the olympics. After Medvedeva and Zagitova(presumably), the final spot should be wide open because Pogorilaya and Radionova are wildly inconsistent, Tuktamysheva and Sotnikova haven't been relevant for a while and the consistent Russian Sotskova just isn't at such a high level that Julia couldn't outperform her if she finds consistency.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'd weep tears of joy if Julia made a push for the Olympics but if I were to bet money on it I would think Masha is gonna be the one to have a breakout season and get the third spot and that's only if Pogo starts doing those goofy falls at the wrong time. CSKA will want one of their skaters to participate in the ladies event so maybe Masha has a slight edge. I love Masha and think people undersell her the way they used to to Pogo so I'd love to see her make the team. TBH...I think if Masha is on she could challenge for a medal as much as anyone not named Zhenya :)

It would be a real shame though if Pogo never gets to go to the Olympics.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
No other skaters have the same power, flow, execution, speed, maturity or the degree of execution, as Med, Osmond and Daleman, at this moment. They are miles apart as demonstrated at Worlds, from others in comparison. IMO, the 3 for the Olympic podium in no particular order, depending on what they can do on the day.

mrrice

Record Breaker
No other skaters have the same power, flow, execution, speed, maturity or the degree of execution, as Med, Osmond and Daleman, at this moment. They are miles apart as demonstrated at Worlds, from others in comparison. IMO, the 3 for the Olympic podium in no particular order, depending on what they can do on the day.

This is Completely true!!!! I just finished re-watching Worlds and the top 3 were miles ahead of the rest of the pack. I didn't really love Karen Chen at Nationals but, her performances at Worlds along with her summer performances have really changed my mind about her. I still think Zagitova will be spoiling the party for a talented Russian Lady. I think that if all the ladies skater their best, the battle will be for the Bronze. At their best, Med and Kaetlyn are clearly the best skaters in the World. In my opinion of course. ;)

Ender

Match Penalty
Daleman is slow during step sequence and her skating style still focuses on power not grace. It's her strength I have nothing against it. But in term of maturity I think other ladies are better than her.,

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm willing to make an avatar bet that Daleman finishes outside of the top 6 :drama:

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist

I have my money on Satoko for silver at the Olympics right now, but that's based purely on a hunch that will probably change by September.

I'd weep tears of joy if Julia made a push for the Olympics but if I were to bet money on it I would think Masha is gonna be the one to have a breakout season and get the third spot and that's only if Pogo starts doing those goofy falls at the wrong time. CSKA will want one of their skaters to participate in the ladies event so maybe Masha has a slight edge. I love Masha and think people undersell her the way they used to to Pogo so I'd love to see her make the team. TBH...I think if Masha is on she could challenge for a medal as much as anyone not named Zhenya :)

It would be a real shame though if Pogo never gets to go to the Olympics.

What I've come to love about Anna is that you can never count her out. People have been doing that every season over the last quad, and every season she's made it to Worlds. No other Russian woman can say that. (Part of that's because Evgenia's only been senior the last two years, but still.)

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have my money on Satoko for silver at the Olympics right now, but that's based purely on a hunch that will probably change by September.

Haha!!! Totally agree. These hunches can't be taken too seriously but it's fun to get them out of our systems and maybe even therapeutic.

Zhenya seems a lock for a medal more than most. From there I could see about 6-7 skaters who could challenge for the next medal with realistic expectations. So top ten at this Olympic Games will be a very honorable thing to achieve. That definitely makes it more fun for us fans.

I'd be happy seeing Satoko get a medal but her injury has me spooked a bit.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
I don't think satoko can get an Olympic medal because the judges just hate the size of her jumps. Her scores are on the high side but not THE highest, and there's always the danger of underrotations. Though, I've seen her tech score be as high as 73...... so, people say that satoko doesn't get high GOE, so why is her technical score so high? Do GOE points go to TEC or PCS?

ejnsofi

Final Flight
My problem with Canadian ladies is that I can't trust them :scratch2:
When Kaetlyn is on SHE IS ON but when she is off it's truly a wild ride. I hope this season will be her breakthrough but she skated clean her FS program only once. And she didn't get lvl 4 on all elements.
Gabby Daleman is really powerful skater with huge jumps (and right edges on both F and Lz) but she had only 2 successful international competitions this season. I want her to use this momentum but I'm not sure if it happens. Besides she needs to work on her PCS

I really want Satoko to get silver. She is so terribly underscored!