Yuzuru Hanyu: 2017-2018 | Page 52 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2017-2018

Interspectator

Record Breaker
There was a documentary aired after Yuzu's competition at Autumn classic where he re-watches Seimei from GPF 2015. His face is so intense. He says he's re-watched this over 3-digit -times. That he was scared just before the performance, and his foot had already begun to bother him at that time. He was worried about the second quad toe which he landed a bit forward, on his toe, and because of that little flaw he thought it would be impossible to reach a new record score. The GPF performance was a performance of calculation, not getting in the zone and going with the flow -which, in a way NHK was. -Lots of other little bits of information as well. Hopefully it will be uploaded soon. I KNOW he can do better than GPF, and with his new jumps. Go Yuzu!

Last edited:

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
My thought about his FS is simple, he didn't have enough time to practice and get used to this easier layout because of the knee issue. I really thank him for showing us wonderful SP in the current situation. If his knee is recovered and he can train as he always does, I believe he is fine in GP series. Otukaresama, Yuzuru!!

By the way, reading his interview, I thought he didn't like watering down the layout, really :laugh: Remember he even apologized for doing easier layout at NHK after bad injuries from CoC 2014...

I agree, I'm not worried! If his knee is okay and he can do the layout he worked on he will be fine. And the SP was incredible already!

Yeah, Yuzu really hates doing easier layouts and, like he said, it's not the best for his focus either.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
well, this was completely different from what a woke up to yesterday morning :laugh:
have to say, if he didnt broke WR yesterday and didnt say he could skate seimei's layout his eyes closed last season i wouldnt keep my hopes up much but this was expected before competition started, he is probably beating himself up but it will only motivate and prepare him for his next challenge
just dont be so down and hard on yourself and get good rest Yuzu!! :agree:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
There was a documentary aired after Yuzu's competition at Autumn classic where he re-watches Seimei from GPF 2015. His face is so intense. He says he's re-watched this over 3-digit -times. That he was scared just before the performance, and his foot had already begun to bother him at that time. He was worried about the second quad toe which he landed a bit forward, on his toe, and because of that little flaw he thought it would be impossible to reach a new record score. The GPF performance was a performance of calculation, not getting in the zone and going with the flow -which, in a way NHK was. -Lots of other little bits of information as well. Hopefully it will be uploaded soon. I KNOW he can do better than GPF, and with his new jumps. Go Yuzu!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/k6CRmsl5nAYYRpoKVRH Here's the video. So much intensity. --Also shows a full version of Yuzu's latest SEIMEI, at the Autumn Classic. Hide your eyes! :dbana:

Ender

Match Penalty
well, this was completely different from what a woke up to yesterday morning :laugh:
have to say, if he didnt broke WR yesterday and didnt say he could skate seimei's layout his eyes closed last season i wouldnt keep my hopes up much but this was expected before competition started, he is probably beating himself up but it will only motivate and prepare him for his next challenge
just dont be so down and hard on yourself and get good rest Yuzu!! :agree:
I highly doubt that Hanyu is doomed and glommed right now. Autumn Classic isn't that of an important competition to be sad about. People should have known when his coach said they shouldn't expect much in this competition. His practice through live stream was very messy and the same as what he showed in competition.

His SP was very good but it's all what he has right now, he isn't ready for a good Lp yet, and far from it. But this is good too. He doesn't need to peak right now. If he did well, people should be much more worried than this.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
I highly doubt that Hanyu is doomed and glommed right now. Autumn Classic isn't that of an important competition to be sad about. People should have known when his coach said they shouldn't expect much in this competition. His practice through live stream was very messy and the same as what he showed in competition.

His SP was very good but it's all what he has right now, he isn't ready for a good Lp yet, and far from it. But this is good too. He doesn't need to peak right now. If he did well, people should be much more worried than this.

ohh, i agree, our expectations were low because it was his 1st competition and because of the news about pain on his knee but its true that he gave us (or at least to me) hope with WR for his SP :biggrin:
also knowing him, it doesnt matter to him whether its senior B or Olympics, he will be mad at himself whenever he doesnt deliver :laugh:

Ender

Match Penalty
ohh, i agree, our expectations were low because it was his 1st competition and because of the news about pain on his knee but its true that he gave us (or at least to me) hope with WR for his SP :biggrin:
also knowing him, it doesnt matter to him whether its senior B or Olympics, he will be mad at himself whenever he doesnt deliver :laugh:
I don't think Hanyu is that naive young kid anymore. He has grown. I remember the first time I saw him he hold nothing back. It attracted people to him but it can be harmful in the long run. A wise person knows when not to beat themselves up for small challenges. There will be always up and down. It's better to be down right now.

In fact, people should be more worried for some people who keep going up without payment, the drop will be very hard.

There is absolutely nothing to be worried about. When the pigs fly Yuzuru is going to loose OGM. It was just the test event like last two years. Honestly, even in last two years he would have lost ACI gold if there had been another skater of his caliber. It's his norm and we know it. Ganbare Yuzu, koko kare hajimaru 😄

:eek:topic: I'm looking at my previous post: I didn't know if I type from my phone the Emojis from my phone will appear here not the ones from this website, interesting :think:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Last edited:

kiches

Final Flight
Wow. I'm amazed that he was able to give us such a beautiful SP despite the lack of conditioning. :shocked: I'm glad he went and that his fans didn't miss him, since they all had booked flights etc. But I hope he didn't overdo it. :pray:
You know, all the way up to ACI I had this horrible fear that he was going to announce that he had to withdraw, may be my feeling was closer to the truth than anything.

I did get the feeling he felt he partially owed it to the fans to compete here, although I’m sure there were benefits to testing out the program that he also felt were important. Given the knee pain and break from training I think he went into the competition somewhat expecting this type of result. It was just a couple of things I saw at the rink that gave me that impresssion. The somewhat longer than usual touching of the ice at the end of the practice session, the way he went around slowly acknowledging all the banners for him, even his reaction after his free skate seems a tad more mellow than usual. If anything that SP was probably a bit of luck coupled with some insane muscle memory from when he used to do it with the 4S. The layout change in the SP wasn’t as different as the FS so I think he was able to adjust. He just needs more time probably for his knee to feel better and to get back to more regular training, since they did decide to compete I’m glad they forced him to take it easy with the layout. In a lot of ways I think his team talking about the injury was to build this expectation that he probably wasn’t going to do well (although that SP nearly had us fooled).

Interspectator

Record Breaker
You know, all the way up to ACI I had this horrible fear that he was going to announce that he had to withdraw, may be my feeling was closer to the truth than anything.

I did get the feeling he felt he partially owed it to the fans to compete here, although I’m sure there were benefits to testing out the program that he also felt were important. Given the knee pain and break from training I think he went into the competition somewhat expecting this type of result. It was just a couple of things I saw at the rink that gave me that impresssion. The somewhat longer than usual touching of the ice at the end of the practice session, the way he went around slowly acknowledging all the banners for him, even his reaction after his free skate seems a tad more mellow than usual. If anything that SP was probably a bit of luck coupled with some insane muscle memory from when he used to do it with the 4S. The layout change in the SP wasn’t as different as the FS so I think he was able to adjust. He just needs more time probably for his knee to feel better and to get back to more regular training, since they did decide to compete I’m glad they forced him to take it easy with the layout. In a lot of ways I think his team talking about the injury was to build this expectation that he probably wasn’t going to do well (although that SP nearly had us fooled).

I'm glad you were able to be there for his record breaking SP. I hope your good memory of that will override the memory of the Free skate. :thumbsup:

yude

Record Breaker

Kozuka
"I think there is no need to worry about."
"He is a type of person who "attacks". He is stronger when he attacks, and keep attacking makes him calmer."

In one of the news I saw, Kozuka said he thought Yuzuru may have tried 4Lz and popped in the beginning. Of course, truth is unknown unless someone asks Yuzuru about it :laugh: (I still think he tried 3Lz though)