2017 CS US International Classic SD | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2017 CS US International Classic SD

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
here I am, 1 day late to throw my little 2 cents:laugh: and seriously - I'm at the point of confusing who competed at Lombardia and who in SLC - even more laugh, getting back and forth between two threads' sections and try to write some impressions over what I managed to watch so far:)

I have to say – I loved Kana and Chris, they just have their own 'kick' over everything they do which is great for me and Kana is a natural born performer:love:. The vehicle itself is rather plain and not over-complicated, but I actually like it this way, making more room for both of them (Kana in particular) to perform a little, give a feel of the rhythm, music, connection. I totally see it getting more crisp, punctuated on pattern and partial step sequence and then I'll be perfectly happy person. This is not 'OMG/outside of the box' kind of dance, but it is a solid choreo with potential to make it very accessible and attractive while performed with more fluidity and confidence, of which Kana and Chris are totally capable of.

I enjoyed Julia and Damian – it is not a top-tier duo with crisp, edge-work quality yet, but they seemed to enjoy the performance and each other, some of transitions and dance movements were very nicely executed and placed with music. And honestly – I don't mind Ariana:laugh:

Gutted for Olivia and Adria...This SD is really one of my fave concepts so far and I hurt for them and that score (thank you nimi and lauravvv for explaining the issue above:thank:). The dance/choreo itself are very well contructed I feel, there is no 'blank points' and there is enough balance to do technicalities and perform the dance at the same time. It is nicely sensual, has some level of sophistication and refinement about it for me. What is very important for me is that they are not trying too much: the expression is very good, engaged, they seemed focused. Love Adria's effortless way of partnering and carrying the performance – a true Latin spirit this one for me! The program obviously needs mileage, more confidence and attack in execution and fixing those levels, but it is so promising it would be a shame not seeing them succeed:)

Even more gutted for Kaitlin and Jean-Luc...I like their SD choreo/concept more and more after that Chicago premiere and then this freaky fall...And speaking of the devil – the biggest problem I have seeing this SD performed in better quality/closer than fanvids from Chicago competition, is seeing Kaitlin's hesitation going into some of moves/elements, which was the case of twizzles fall as some of you already pointed. She really seemed tentative in places and this is the root of the problem – it takes two to make it work the best way. I think that going on with full bravado is not a solution, but she has to have more confidence in her movement and not to 'freeze out' while performing. I mean – girl, you're looking hot, like million dollars, you have amazing partner, 'Get busy' as music, you own it and rock it! Jean-Luc is sublime and great as usual, love his way of skating and smoothness in and out. Suprisingly for me – really dig that music combo and choreography to it, some nice transitional moves here and there, definitely a routine with potenial for me, just more confidence and less hesitation/doubting yourself!

I have mixed feelings about Laurence and Nikolai to be honest – from one perspective, the program seems very cohesive, flowy and with certain idea/convention in it, they are in character, costumes are kind of fitting (love, love hers!!!), but from another one – I see very little 'Latin' reference in it. I feels solid and confident in concept, but cannot shake the feeling of being a little 'Latin-misplaced'. Maybe I'll dig that 'Latin vintage' feel later, just not convined now. Another good thing (I suppose) is that the dance is not over-the-top and stays somehow in their soft, elegant style they represent for me. However – seeing the actual product, I wonder how they would look with Cuban-themed program, with Buena Vista Social Club kind of music...

And finally Madison and Zach – what a debut! This program is a winner from get-go for me: totally reflecting on their best qualities, right in their expression/way of performing, fluid, flowy yet crisp and sharp at the same time. That non-touching step sequence is +3 GOE potential, great feel of the music, accentuation in bodies, they used their signature lift which is for me some kind of statement about them, to make the dance even more 'theirs', without this kind of 'trying too much' feel (hope you know what I mean). The whole program feels Latin without being too much, to obnoxious and radiates of sensuality without loud gestures and being flashy – it's just a great blend of music with their soft way of movement. I dig like crazy the ending with that ice spin of Madison:), overall – definitely top-tier material.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Maddie and Zack's program shows enormous potential. It may have been the video, but it looked just a tad bit slow in some parts. When it's polished, it will be magnificent. A very strong performance.

I once thought that H/B would unseat them on the US podiums, but that possibility now seems many years away. It's not that i dislike the program, it's just that she seems so uncertain at many points in the program, and lack of confidence is just a killer. Jean Luc may be my favorite male US dancer. He certainly has the "it" factor. But it's a team performance, not a solo.

Barb

Record Breaker
Maddie and Zack's program shows enormous potential. It may have been the video, but it looked just a tad bit slow in some parts. When it's polished, it will be magnificent. A very strong performance.

I once thought that H/B would unseat them on the US podiums, but that possibility now seems many years away. It's not that i dislike the program, it's just that she seems so uncertain at many points in the program, and lack of confidence is just a killer. Jean Luc may be my favorite male US dancer. He certainly has the "it" factor. But it's a team performance, not a solo.

I think he should be looking for a new partner, but I know it is difficult to find another girl so thin or shorter :eek:hwell:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think he should be looking for a new partner, but I know it is difficult to find another girl so thin or shorter :eek:hwell:

I admit I've thought this myself. But, as you point out, where's the alternative? And the prospect of starting over with a new partner must be daunting.

Still, how much farther can this team rise? Sure, the top Americans may retire after the Olympics and they'll move up by default, but there are new seniors who will be hot on their heels, and if she doesn't get her act together soon, they're going to get passed in a year or so.

TGee

Record Breaker
Please explain how it makes it more relevant?

To me, it seems more flashy, but less accessible.

It is especially annoying since all links for forms, announcements, and info are now dead everywhere. I am not sure about schedules and results. I am going to check this year's for past events.

This affects years of work, and I have to decide whether to bother to edit last year's files.

Well at present, as far as I can tell from any of my devices, none of the main access links are working....

[Trying for a bit of humour.....] I don't think that I've seen an 'error page will not load' message from the main page of a major international federation before...:palmf:

Perhaps this is a bit of a 'gets worse before it gets better thing.....but one wonders why they thought is was okay to beta-test it live at the launch of the Challenger Bs....in an Olympic season.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Hubbell and Donahue's SD is very impressive at this point of the season. It's a Latin program that actually has some nuances beyond the boom, boom, boom whistle, whistle, blah blah blah we're going to hear again and again.

I like Kana and Chris' SD also.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Hubbell and Donahue's SD is very impressive at this point of the season. It's a Latin program that actually has some nuances beyond the boom, boom, boom whistle, whistle, blah blah blah we're going to hear again and again.

it is indeed, what's more for me is that they clearly came up with strong, cohesive and stylish conception with their team this season for both programs, which I plain admire and respect to see as team I viewed as kind of meh few seasons ago. There is an idea behind them now, their programs and what they want to convey - I feel that this identity confidence gives them a strong kick and makes their stuff looking polished and believable.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
it is indeed, what's more for me is that they clearly came up with strong, cohesive and stylish conception with their team this season for both programs, which I plain admire and respect to see as team I viewed as kind of meh few seasons ago. There is an idea behind them now, their programs and what they want to convey - I feel that this identity confidence gives them a strong kick and makes their stuff looking polished and believable.

Yes, they were very much a meh team to me too, but they really have come a long way since then. They were quite one-note to me, doing programs that seem to emphasize their chemistry, which they have in spades, but not much beyond that. I'm glad to see programs that have a lot more depth and nuance to them.

Also I feel Madison's packaging is SO much better then even just a few seasons ago. She's actually a very fit and trim person but I felt her costumes really did not show that off. I loved the pink dress!

Last edited:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker

I really like the beginning and the ending of H/D's SD. The middle sags for me. But very interesting way to incorporate the pattern--it's not what I expected (as noted below, they spent a good chunk of their career relying on their interpersonal chemistry at the expense of the particular dance they were doing). The transition into the final section is weak--I thought for a moment they were gonna stop and say, Well that's as far as we've gotten. The second section in particular dragged for me as well. But this is a HUGE advance over previous SDs for them. As also noted, there's a style here that is their own. Yes, there are weak patches, but this has loads of potential to develop. I think it just needs some rethinking at points.