2018 Olympics Team Event- | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympics Team Event-

kenboy123

On the Ice
This may be completely off topic, but i don't know where else to put this, we don't know how many Russians are even going to the olympics for a number of reasons, most likely reason is because of the ban (this has already been discussed multiple times)...on top of that, even if they are allowed to go, i personally think that they should not go...this is not because i don't want to see any Russians in the olympics, however...if they value their life at all, i'm kind of afraid of the consequences afterwards of they do go and win a medal what will happen to them...i don't even think i even need to discuss the worst possible consequence, but Putin is going to be crazy if a Russian wins a medal and it is not for his country, he may say he is okay with them going and representing themselves, but is he really???...

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Um... Italy has to make it to the free skate first.
Realistically, the highest their man could place would be what? Fifth? Sixth? Even seventh? After Hanyu/Uno, Chen, Chan, Jin (in the short at least) and Kolyada/Samarin/Voronov?
Carolina could be up there. An OAR (Medvedeva) will beat her, and Osmond might if she skates cleanly, which she does in the short. Sakamoto/Miyahara could play spoiler and place ahead as well. That's anywhere from second to fourth.
In pairs, the Germans (S/M) will beat the Italians in the SP because they'll both be there. China (S/H) OAR (T/M or S/K) and Canada (D/R) will definitely beat them, whether it be M/H or DM/G. J/C from France might beat them in the SP as well.
In dance, V/M and P/C will definitely beat C/L. One of the American teams, whichever one does the SD, will probably as well. B/S might or might not.
So best case scenario for short program placements:
Men: 5
Ladies: 2
Pairs: 5
Dance: 4
That might get them through to the free skate, behind OAR, Canada, and the US, with maybe China, maybe Japan, and maybe France playing spoiler. So I doubt that they'll get bronze if they might not make it to the free if two of the spoiler countries make it.
Well if Chan falls apart, Russia can't send a team that would help Italy's chances I assume.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
An Olympic programming note, which I'm sure you're all on the edge of your seat to hear:

I will be referring to figure skaters who are members of "Olympic Athletes from Russia (OAR)" as being from "Russia" because I think the special designation is somehow unfair to Russian figure skaters, none of whom have ever been involved in a doping situation. I think the ONLY Russian figure skating drug "scandal" has been when B/S, pairs co-gold medalists, inadvertently took some over-the-counter sinus medication during a World Championship and withdrew from the competition.

That is all. You may return to your forum-reading.

Was Klimova and Ponomoranko(sorry don't know the name) involved in some drug issue - though again some kind of over the counter cold medication.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Putin's reaction to Russians winning medals in Korea will be more along the lines of "HA! SEE? Russia is so superior that it doesn't matter what you try to do to us we'll still win!" Every Russian athlete who comes home with a gold will be a hero. Putin's not gonna have Medvedeva assassinated, JFC.

I agree that Russian medal winners will be treated as heroes in Russia, and the skaters should be.

They have done absolutely nothing wrong, and I am sorry they've been dragged into this mess.

Last edited by a moderator:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As it has been pointed out.

How does the ruling affect the Team event for russia.

of that i am curious,

My understanding is that they get to compete as they normally would. Same athletes as would normally compete.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It should be pointed out that this has not yet officially been confirmed regarding the team event.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Karne, I'll take your word for this. I thought I had seen an article that put that question to rest, but now I cannot find it.

And age and memory being what it is, I'm unable to confidently back up my earlier claim.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As long as the IOC invites at least one skater/team for each event I see no reason why they wouldn’t be able to compete. It sounds like they are just awaiting to confirm an entry in each discipline. If they weren’t going to let them in I think they would have announced it by now.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Well if Chan falls apart, Russia can't send a team that would help Italy's chances I assume.

Russia can send a team as far as the latest news...

asp11

Just a dedicated fan - not a skater
On the Ice
It will be interesting to see all of it plays out; that's for sure.