2018 Olympic Season: Ladies Figure Skating | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Season: Ladies Figure Skating

Lightstar

On the Ice
To be honest if Med doesn't win the Olympics I'll be very sad for her! She really dominated the last 2 years and i really think she should win.
Everything else would feel wrong for me.

rhubarb

Rinkside
Okay so I’m confused now. Will the Russians compete? I mean because of the IOC. Or they will be able to compete but not under a Russian flag? Can please someone answer I’m confused

Russian skaters who are clean and have passed the doping test will be able to compete as an Olympic Athlete from Russia (OAR) under the Olympic flag.

So, yes, they can compete but they won't be representing Russia.

eriecold

On the Ice
I think she will probably wind up somewhere from 5th to 7th. Maybe higher than some expect. There will be a lot of mistakes, there always is an Olympic ladies competition. And she, with virtually no pressure even as U.S Champion, probably wont be one of them. I expect her to outplace atleast a couple women who are supposably better than her.

She got a remarkably high score in the FS of SA. Assuming she makes a good impression on the team event (which she will likely skate at least 1 program), and assuming she keeps this "solid as a rock" mantra, her FS could be as high as 140. That's good for a 4th or 5th, depending on how many girls bomb out and how well she skates in the short.

soogar

Record Breaker
Bradie reminds me a lot of Sarah Hughes and I wouldn't be surprised if she wound up with the gold medal.

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
I like Brady a lot but it’s a massive long shot for her to win gold! You’d be having to have Evgenia, Alina, Caro and the other top podium contenders bombing out big time. I do however feel that she can make the final group in the FS if she skates her heart out in the SP 😊

Eddie Lee

On the Ice
Sarah’s Hughes’ skating had a bit more flair & artistry than Brady Tennell, but she also had some technical flaws. Bradie has spectacular, solid—almost flawless—technique. Brady also seems to have nerves of steel! I am eager to see how this plays out at Olympics!

rhubarb

Rinkside
Sarah’s Hughes’ skating had a bit more flair & artistry than Brady Tennell, but she also had some technical flaws. Bradie has spectacular, solid—almost flawless—technique. Brady also seems to have nerves of steel! I am eager to see how this plays out at Olympics!

I agree. I think out of the 3 American girls, Bradie might be the only one with a chance at a medal

But i'll be cheering for Marai and Karen!!!!:pray::cheer2::hap10:

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Um, really? Personally, I don't find her jumps to be very good outside of the fact that she tends to actually land and rotate them. In the realm of jumps that are landed and rotated, hers are quite average.

I like Brady a lot but it’s a massive long shot for her to win gold! You’d be having to have Evgenia, Alina, Caro and the other top podium contenders bombing out big time. I do however feel that she can make the final group in the FS if she skates her heart out in the SP 😊

I actually don't see this happening at all. I predict that she will be quite far behind the pack entering FS even if she skates clean.

MsLayback

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Just curious about something and would like someone else's thoughts on this... what is the possibility that the Korean fans will cheer louder for the non-russian ladies due to their continued anger at the Sochi outcome...the crowd atmosphere and energy has a lot to do with how a skater skates and how they are scored it has been at the back of my mind that the Korean audience may not be 100% percent behind the Russian Ladies and if this is the case how would it affect the event. Something else to keep in mind is that bradie tennell is skating to a very popular piece of Korean music in the short program and if she's skates at well, the crowd reaction could lift her very high during the performance and through the marks

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Bradie reminds me a lot of Sarah Hughes and I wouldn't be surprised if she wound up with the gold medal.

The judges give Med 9s and10s in PCS. She could fall and still score 150. In fact, I think she has. Do you think they would do the same for Bradie? I'd say she's the longest of long shots for a gold medal.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
the Korean audience may not be 100% percent behind the Russian Ladies and if this is the case how would it affect the event.

The team event will be first. I do hope that the audience will consist of unbiased fans from different countries rather than internet trolls who would spend their last wons just to boo Russian ladies. But if in fact there is big negativity against Medvedeva and co. I would imagine that psychologists would work hard to prepare them.

FSLover17

On the Ice
I like Bradie but I see her finishing somewhere around 8th. Evgenia, Alina, Carolina, Kaetlyn, Maria, Satoko will probably beat her and Gabby and Kaori could too. Her medalling would mean that not only do the incredible, unstoppable, enigmatically consistent Russians have to mess up, but the very consistently high marked Satoko, Kaetlyn and Carolina. This is the average of the ladies total scores this season:
1) Evgenia - 227.44
2) Alina - 217.36
3) Kaetlyn - 213.10
*Wakaba should be here but she won't be at the Olympics :cry:*
4) Carolina - 207.00
5) Satoko - 206.44
6) Maria - 205.72
*Polina T and Mai should be here but they won't be at the Olympics either :(*
7) Bradie - 200.40
So I expect to see her around there keeping in mind Kaori, Gabby and her fellow Americans.

MeineKatze

On the Ice
Um, really? Personally, I don't find her jumps to be very good outside of the fact that she tends to actually land and rotate them. In the realm of jumps that are landed and rotated, hers are quite average.

Agreed. Her jumps are quite low compared to every other lady and especially considering her own height. I can only think of Satoko and Yulia who have smaller jumps than her. Also, I'm shocked that Bradie is 20 years old but is skating to Cinderella :confused: and has zero maturity or artistry...

MsLayback said:
Just curious about something and would like someone else's thoughts on this... what is the possibility that the Korean fans will cheer louder for the non-russian ladies due to their continued anger at the Sochi outcome...the crowd atmosphere and energy has a lot to do with how a skater skates and how they are scored it has been at the back of my mind that the Korean audience may not be 100% percent behind the Russian Ladies and if this is the case how would it affect the event. Something else to keep in mind is that bradie tennell is skating to a very popular piece of Korean music in the short program and if she's skates at well, the crowd reaction could lift her very high during the performance and through the marks
I'm worried about that too.. some Korean fans are honestly just batshit crazy that even after years they're still throwing hate comments on Japanese skaters' videos and Sotnikova's instagram comment section is just sad because there will always be bots posting extremely rude comments....

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Agreed. Her jumps are quite low compared to every other lady and especially considering her own height. I can only think of Satoko and Yulia who have smaller jumps than her. Also, I'm shocked that Bradie is 20 years old but is skating to Cinderella :confused: and has zero maturity or artistry...

I'm worried about that too.. some Korean fans are honestly just batshit crazy that even after years they're still throwing hate comments on Japanese skaters' videos and Sotnikova's instagram comment section is just sad because there will always be bots posting extremely rude comments....

Bradie isn't 20 just yet. Her birthday is January 31st. She's still 19 till then.

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
The team event will be first. I do hope that the audience will consist of unbiased fans from different countries rather than internet trolls who would spend their last wons just to boo Russian ladies. But if in fact there is big negativity against Medvedeva and co. I would imagine that psychologists would work hard to prepare them.

I’m gonna be so upset if the Russian ladies don’t get a fair deal cos of the locals not being able to let go from Sochi!

wanderlust

Rinkside
I'd say those crazy fans (or anti-fans, for that matter) absolutely do not represent the majority of Koreans and the audience that will be in attendance at the competitions in Pyeongchang. Don't base an entire nation on the actions and behavior of some online trolls.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
I just watched Ladies short at Europeans. Zagitova was amazing and flawless and scored 80.27. Medvedeva stumbled on 2A and scored 78.57. Kostner had a clean beautiful skate and scored 78.30. Sotskova 10 points behind. Behind that - nothing. Interesting to see how this plays out on Saturday in the free. I can easily see these three be the medalists at the Olympics. Maybe Osmond can challenge them but I don't think anybody else can - sorry.

AvgeekJoe

On the Ice
My prediction with overtones of Air Farce:

Kaetlyn Osmond for Gold, coming back from low expectations by all but her rabid fan base after some rough landings at Vancouver...

Gabby Daleman for Silver, barely unable to hold off the "Comeback Kid" giving three flawless performances and too busy on the phone with her boyfriend to call Tech Support to up her score.

Larkyn Austman for Bronze, bringing up the rear and holding the Americans off after calling 1-888-KAE-TLYN for Kaetlyn's Technical Score Support to up her score to levels high enough to soar with CC-177 Globemasters and CF-18 Hornets.

Frankly, the Russians will have to fight over the Pewter medal.

Meanwhile, two CF-18s will be loaded up with chicken cannons and Royal Canadian Air Farce DVDs under the wings for Kaetlyn & Gabby to... as we Americans say... "otherwise deal with" that ICBM and the fat punk idiot pointing it at their Vancouver Grand Prix re-match. Obviously the terrain following radar in Kaetlyn's jet will be double-checked and triple-checked as we all know Kaetlyn has trouble with not impacting with the ice, er, ground!

Last edited by a moderator: