Hanyu injured at practice for NHK | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Hanyu injured at practice for NHK

bevybean

On the Ice
I wonder which would be the better strategy in terms of momentum: Withdrawing from NHK or competing and placing low because the of the injury? Personally, I think I'd rather skip the event and move forward with the thought that I could have won if I wasn't injured because that is the more confident view point. Skating and placing low might fill me with doubts. But, then, I'm not an athlete and am a rather insecure person.

Disclaimer: This is a hypothetical question. For all we know Hanyu will be able to skate well tomorrow and still win or at least get on the podium.

I'm also thinking it makes this more interesting for Rippon and Brown since this wasn't a stacked field of men to begin with.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Eeeee... that is a nasty looking fall. I hope he recovers okay and doesn't push himself. He could easily podium at NHK with pared down difficulty but needs to think long term too.

Looking at that took me back to when I fell pretty much the exact same way and injured my ankle when attempting a lutz (albeit only a triple) about 5 years ago... I was too far outside on my rotation (upper body over rotated), landed on my right skate, and then my ankle went inwards (the side of my boot caved too). It wasn't a long physical recovery time, but the hard part for me was psychologically being confident with doing lutzes again (and it's my fave jump!). I also think back to when Totmiannina/Marinin avoided axel lasso lifts for a while after her horrific face plant fall. The 4Z is already an exceedingly difficult jump for Hanyu, but he'll also have to mentally recover after a fall like this.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
That fall reminded me of Zhang/Zhang FS in Torino - I thought 100% they wouldn't be able to continue but they did and got silver! Hoping Yuzu's fall/injury looked worse than it was :( I agree it would be better to rest if he doesn't feel great - GPFs are 13 in a dozen, Olympics are way more important. I still hope he's not badly injured and can compete tomorrow.

Yeah, the awkward legs... Zhang's fall definitely was one of the worst I've seen. But that comeback was Olympic drama at its best.

That 2A+3T after... WOW. Prior to that, and to date, I have never seen a skater recover that well after such a freak fall.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I wonder which would be the better strategy in terms of momentum: Withdrawing from NHK or competing and placing low because the of the injury? Personally, I think I'd rather skip the event and move forward with the thought that I could have won if I wasn't injured because that is the more confident view point. Skating and placing low might fill me with doubts. But, then, I'm not an athlete and am a rather insecure person.

Disclaimer: This is a hypothetical question. For all we know Hanyu will be able to skate well tomorrow and still win or at least get on the podium.

I'm also thinking it makes this more interesting for Rippon and Brown since this wasn't a stacked field of men to begin with.

If it was only about NHK, I'd agree, but the GPF is at stake here. I'm of the opinion that it would hurt him more in the long run if he'd withdraw than placing third or something. Even with lowered difficulty, Yuzuru can easily podium here.

Eclair

Medalist
What are they supposed to do? If you're a skater at the top you don't have a choice. Oh ,how I wish Yuzuru wouldn't add the 4Lz. How I wished last season that Shoma stopped adding Quad, after Quad, after Quad. How I wish it wouldn't come down to TES every single time. They have no choice. None of them. There are no cushions. It comes down to the most healthy skater in February, and one of them will be healthy. So, no one who is thinking "I'm not taking any risks, I'll take it easy" will get very far. It's the unfortunate reality of Men's figure skating in the 2017/18 season. And injuries will play a part. Shoma is also suffering from an ankle injury. :sad46:

of course they have a choice - Yuzuru would win the olympic gold with a clean program with 3 quads and no 4lutz. It was his choice to add it.

Shoma gets Patrick's PCS, he absolutely doesn't need quad after quad to be competitive. Also Shoma getting some kind of ankle/knee injury with his technique was just a matter of time. It's his technique that injures him, not that he's jumping so many quads per se.

Javier once had a 110+ FS without 4 quads. He could stay with his layout (and I think he did) and still medal at the Olympics.

Nathan doesn't need 7 quads either to be competitive, if he worked on his PCS instead, as he could improve them easily.

It's actually only Boyang and Jason (and Max) who have no choice but to add quads. Boyang because he's not improving in PCS as fast and even if he did, he wouldn't get fairly scored in PCS. Jason because 1 quad is a must.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I wonder which would be the better strategy in terms of momentum: Withdrawing from NHK or competing and placing low because the of the injury? Personally, I think I'd rather skip the event and move forward with the thought that I could have won if I wasn't injured because that is the more confident view point.

Skip. Skip, withdraw, heal. No faster momentum killer than to skate like a hot mess if you're injured.

If it was only about NHK, I'd agree, but the GPF is at stake here. I'm of the opinion that it would hurt him more in the long run if he'd withdraw than placing third or something. Even with lowered difficulty, Yuzuru can easily podium here.

No. Quite apart from momentum and chances and all that, if he skates injured, he runs the risk of making the injury worse. And then he could be facing the idea that he skated when he shouldn't have and missed the GPF anyway because he was injured.

We are NOT having a repeat of CoC14. If he's injured, he should withdraw. End of story.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Skip. Skip, withdraw, heal. No faster momentum killer than to skate like a hot mess if you're injured.

No. Quite apart from momentum and chances and all that, if he skates injured, he runs the risk of making the injury worse. And then he could be facing the idea that he skated when he shouldn't have and missed the GPF anyway because he was injured.

We are NOT having a repeat of CoC14. If he's injured, he should withdraw. End of story.

Admittedly I'm no expert when it comes to such an injury. If it is indeed better to let it heal and rest, then of course the GPF is not worth it. At this point we simply don't know. I'm sure his team will make the right decision.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Admittedly I'm no expert when it comes to such an injury. If it is indeed better to let it heal and rest, then of course the GPF is not worth it. At this point we simply don't know. I'm sure his team will make the right decision.

Will they? Will he? We have a seriously traumatic example already of him not making the right decision.

I hope he's not injured. But he's already had trouble with the knee on that side this season and it was a pretty nasty fall, so I don't like the chances. At this point, better to focus on being 100% healthy for the Olympics.

shine

Record Breaker
Poor Yuzuru :( That fall looks so painful. I know he's a daredevil and loves challenges, but I really want him healthy and perform to the best of his ability at the Olympics, that's the most important. This Olympic season for the men is really like no other we've seen before and I don't know how I feel about it.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

Yeah, I've seen some pretty bad falls that looked worse than they turn out to be. Yuna had a bad practice fall on the 3F in Vancouver, landing right on her hip, but she was fine for the competition. Hopefully that is the case here.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Well I decided to be optimistic until I hear otherwise. GO YUZU:cheer:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
He fell on his inner side of foot/ankle not the outer side. I had similar kinda ankle sprain when I was skating before, It is hard to say depends on the video could be nothing or really nasty.
Landing on butt is nothing compare to this.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Will they? Will he? We have a seriously traumatic example already of him not making the right decision.

I hope he's not injured. But he's already had trouble with the knee on that side this season and it was a pretty nasty fall, so I don't like the chances. At this point, better to focus on being 100% healthy for the Olympics.

CoC 2014? This was a different situation because they/he had to decide then and there if he should skate or not. All of this aside Yuzuru is an adult. It's not as if our opinion matters, his does.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Yeah, the Olympics are far more important. The smart thing to do right now would be to withdraw.

Unfortunately, that'll just water down this Men's GP event even further. First Chan withdrew and if Hanyu does as well, it's barely even worth watching.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
it seems, Yuzuru just left temporally and come back for the rest of practice (without jumping). It seems he is just being cautious , and nothing serious.
Since he can skate afterwards. When I injured mine, within in half a hour it was like a baseball...

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Unfortunately, that'll just water down this Men's GP event even further. First Chan withdrew and if Hanyu does as well, it's barely even worth watching.

Nah, not for me. Jason is always a treat to watch, and I'm curious to see Adam's programs, to see if Brezina can duplicate his very good skating from Canada, and when else do I have a chance of seeing lesser-known names like Sato and Tomono on my cable TV? No, even if Hanyu withdrew (I hope he chooses the best possible solution depending on his state), I'll have a lot to look forward to here. :)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Nah, not for me. Jason is always a treat to watch, and I'm curious to see Adam's programs, to see if Brezina can duplicate his very good skating from Canada, and when else do I have a chance of seeing lesser-known names like Sato and Tomono on my cable TV? No, even if Hanyu withdrew (I hope he chooses the best possible solution depending on his state), I'll have a lot to look forward to here. :)

And actually it creates a new element of suspense. Basically it will be anyone's game for the podium. And out of that group, I think only Brezina has won a GP previously. That said, I don't suspect he will W/D. We'll see what happens. He's suppose to make a decision this morning --- It's almost 6 a.m. in Japan now...so probably in a few hours. THe men's SP warm-up is at 10:50 a.m. Japan time.

Last edited:

sailormoon

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Yuzuru failed to land a quadruple Luts during practice and he injured his right ankle and knee. But his injuries are not serious enough to require hospital treatment. Yuzuru will resume practicing as soon as the inflammation is gone and he is preparing to participate in the competition. He could win a medal without too many quadruple jumps at this year's NHK Trophy and he should skip the quadruple Luts.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker

Well, that's totally uncalled for. :disagree: There are plenty of great skaters here - Dima, Deniss, Sergei, Michal, Adam, etc.

Procrastinator

On the Ice
Oh no poor Yuzu
I hope he doesn't try to push it. The Olympics are more important than NHK, even if this is in his home country.
Does anyone have a video of that practice?

Literally every other FS competition is in Japan, so I doubt that's a consideration.

I think it would be wise to stop trying to make the 4Lz happen. If he's clean, he'll beat everyone else even without it. He still has loop, toe, and salchow, and the possibility of 4-5 quads just with those.