2017 GPF Free Dance | Page 17 | Golden Skate

2017 GPF Free Dance

tzazu

Medalist
We could try to compare each and every elements actually, I think I'm going to do that in a next post. Because if you add everything it's quite the same, it's some tens or hundreds of points. And it adds. ANd P/C don't outscore V/M on every elements, but there are some where V/M are behind.
I'll rewatch the FDs now (the stream wasn't good) and I do my post !

Please, do it :luv17: and thanks in advance:thank:

lavender

Record Breaker
Tessa is awesome...Scott isn't coming off natural. Trying to hard. This is how I felt with the short. Scott also looks a different on the ice. I like v/m sd better but Tessa is the star. However, c/p free is my favorite.

lavoix

Match Penalty
P/C have been hitting very well.

V/M had very very slight mistakes. In the SD they gave quite a bit away. I hope they get their sh!t together because I want them to win.

Plumededragon

Medalist
Scott gave a strange feeling in the competition, different from the past competition... While I prefer P/C, V/M are also a stunning top pair but something felt off today. And when they waited backstage to see the scores of their teammates, I felt like they already knew they lost. I hope things are ok health-wise or something with them, and that it was just a bad day.
Though, obviously, it was Alex who was the most off today. The Shibs last in the FD was really the unexpected result of this competition. I hope they’re ok as well.

alain06fr

On the Ice
How Leanna Caron can be among the 9 scoring judges at GPF?????

From an ethical point of view (and regardless of the marks she gave), either she's president of the Canadian Fed, either she's judge... but she can't be both at the same time!

matcha

Medalist
Didn't Tessa had a bobble in her twizzle in the Cist AND in the Dist ? The Cist was level 4 at first but got dropped. I'm pretty sure I saw the mistakes.

I didn't catch it in the circular in real-time, but I saw the bobble in her twizzle in the diagonal.

Barb

Record Breaker
Tessa is awesome...Scott isn't coming off natural. Trying to hard. This is how I felt with the short. Scott also looks a different on the ice. I like v/m sd better but Tessa is the star. However, c/d free is my favorite.

Who are c/d?

Barb

Record Breaker
Hmmm was Alex ill? looking at the videos again he looks very pale\green-ish

Probably . He again made one less rotation in twizzles than Maia, same like in the SD, they were not even out of sync before that and he did not stumble, they went out of sync because Alex missed a rotation, you do not just forget to do a rotation, especially when you did the same thing the day before and if he was feeling bad it is understandable that the last sequence of steps got only level 2, because he no longer had energy. Of course it is pure speculation on my part, they have not said anything, but it seems obvious to me that that happened. It's not the first time he gets sick in major competitions :think: :(

yuna13

On the Ice
So happy for gabriella and guillaume!! the french won today :love: BUT Never underestimate tessa and scott.

V/M: today i preferred the come what may section. scott was "too much" during roxanne i mean look at his face. The french commentators said that he looked more like dracula than christian.
the next thing is the battle between the 3 american teams i mean i can't wait for US nationals. true suspense it's going to be so intense anything can happen.

Plumededragon

Medalist
How Leanna Caron can be among the 9 scoring judges at GPF?????

From an ethical point of view (and regardless of the marks she gave), either she's president of the Canadian Fed, either she's judge... but she can't be both at the same time!
I know, right? ISU has many things to fix/change in their rules, and the fact that federation president can be judge is definitely one of them. Not the first time we see that happening.

IceDancingQueen

Final Flight
Reverse politicking is just as wrong as politicking.

P/C should have won last year.

P/C did win the free skate last year. V/M won overall because they had such a huge lead in the short (5pts) and the near fall wasn't in the middle of a program component.

IceDancingQueen

Final Flight
So happy for gabriella and guillaume!! the french won today :love: BUT Never underestimate tessa and scott.

V/M: today i preferred the come what may section. scott was "too much" during roxanne i mean look at his face. The french commentators said that he looked more like dracula than christian.
the next thing is the battle between the 3 american teams i mean i can't wait for US nationals. true suspense it's going to be so intense anything can happen.

I thought it was great that Scott was showing more commitment and emotion in the Tango section than before, since Tessa is such a great emoter, but agree, he now needs to pull it back slightly so it looks more effortless, which is definitely how P/C feel when they skate. V/M really took a risk with their programme because it is so dramatic, but judges/ice dance clearly going a more lyrical direction. I wonder how much closer this competition would be between the two if V/M had done a softer programme along the lines of what they did last year when they won. I personally like the fact that they are doing something so different from last year, but agree with a previous commentator who said drama/intensity isn't winning competitions these days. MR has more of an old school ice dance feel to it, so they have made it difficult for themselves, even though I personally love it. P/C are divine, but neither programme are OG gold medal material IMO as I don't think either of their pieces are that memorable. They are so so brilliant that I just wish that had divine programmes to match and win that gold with. Moonlight Sonata feels so monotonous and get bored in it even though they are SO good. I usually go back and re-watch their programmes but I just can't seem to do it this year.

The American teams are killing it this year. I like all three programmes but felt bad for Shibs today. So unlike them. Poor Alex definitely looked unwell. They will come back strong though. Better for these mistakes now than in the Olympics.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
I'll try to differenciate the Technical from both P/C and V/M. I just want to apologize in advance to people who are sick of these 2 team-rivalry :drama: But since people seem to not understand scores, it could be necessary.
I'm putting reputation and bias aside, otherwise it's just pointless. I will talk about TODAY's FD ONLY.

Twizzles

V/M : 8.40 (perfect score)
P/C : 8.31. A matter of a single +2 vs +3 GOE.
P/C have a great entry and exit and it's timed to the music the whole time. V/M changed their entry to make it more "unexpected", the "Roxanne" scream at the end is glorious. Nitpick : Guillaume could have been a tiiiiny bit steadier on the first set maybe. Difference justified.

Lifts ALL the lifts meet the criteria for level4, so execution only.

P/C maxed out on all their lifts.
1st : Extremely fast, Guillaume has a very low spread-eagle, the arms movement are beautiful.
2nd : Rotationa lift is a catcher because of the change of the music and rotates fast + head movement. Gets the crowd.
3rd : straight line who is particulary difficult if you watch entrance+exit+positions but they make it look easy.
P/C advantage on lifts : they blend into the choreo like steps + use of the body movements.

V/M maxed out on one only (the 3rd), but same as P/C on twizzles : only a +2 GOE from one judge only made the difference on the 1st and 2nd lift.
1st : sets the tone, outstanding elevation from Tessa, so sharp.
2nd : iconic from them, the backflip entrance is just wozaaaa. It's not everyone's taste, but it just works. Just the transition between 1st and 2nd position can be trickier but they do it very well.
3rd : the most impressive by far (no discussion on the max score). Tessa's extension of her whole body, Scott low spread eagle and the exit. This could be considered as their "simpler" lift, NO. It's the one they make it look the easiest.

Circular step sequence

V/M :
I think Tessa wasn't the cleanest here, but it's hidden by the camerawork : https://youtu.be/e85uU7L0AUo?t=111
That's enough to lose a level for a Tech Panel.
There are some great moments in it. But I think the process of these steps isn't the best still. It feels a tiny bit busy, which is fine, but not yet organised. It's big, great edges, but some moments could be better. It's a construction type of thing. Also, the overall execution could be better from them, the bobble cost them either a level, or a +3 from some judges.
GOE : 2.51

P/C :
They use their biggest advantage on the Cist : long lines, and their big edges. There isn't really a break in speed. It's big and the use of their body movements makes it bigger.
It was flawless today, I couldn't see any mistakes, or shaky things.
GOE 2.99
Difference in execution again.

Dance spin

P/C : He pulls her for the entrance. It turns very fast with the music. The highlight is Guillaume's exit. They both have great extensions and positions in this element. GOE +1.71
V/M : a more classic entrance. Great extension on the 1st position. GOE +1.54
Difference in GOEs could be the timing with music and speed. I also (personnally of course) prefer P/C's in an aesthetically/clean point of view, could be the same with judges .

Midline/Diagonal Step Sequence

P/C : Very very fast, and the choreo makes them purposely hit the music just when it has to. Highlights are Guillaume spread-eagle and "jump" and Gaby falling into his arms (hits the note, spot on). The speed doesn't take away the big edges too. It has a "floaty feeling" to it. GOE : +3.14

V/M : First, has Tessa bobbled here, or is it the camera work again ? https://youtu.be/e85uU7L0AUo?t=215
The beginning just before the "I love you" works well, it's fast and look efortless, yet they have gone all the way to the other side of the rink. And then it slows down. Not necessarily about speed, but also when you talk about steps and movements. They could go "wilder" on the "Come What Maaaay", but it does fade a bit. Again, construction (for me).
GOE : +2.99
Same comments than with The Cist.

Choreo spin

V/M : crazy kick/leg extension in the air from Tessa. GOE +1.80
P/C : it blends, you don't notice it's an element, the music changes right at this moment. GOE +1.90
Difference here could be subjective. For me (not objectively) : I prefer the impact of the music with P/C and the way it blends in. But really both are excellent.

Choreo lift

P/C : one of the best part of the FD it has a ton of impact choereographically speaking. GOE +2.10
V/M : the way he pulls her up at the end just blends into the choreo. I love it. GOE +1.90

I think judges prefer the impact of P/C's because it's bigger/longer/hits more position. But I could be wrong. My 2 cents.

Things I noticed :

-Scott almost tripped at the beginning : https://youtu.be/AgpwYi4OPzg?t=55 The commentator almost screamed :eek:
-Again, with the same Base Value, the cleanest FD won tonight. But both team skated very well.
-There are some new touches to each FD that I really like.
-I'm putting a big NO, on Scott's interpretation today though. It really was too much, he doesn't need that.
-I truly think V/M Steq sequences have a construction issue. It goes along with the music but it's not as impactful as it could be.
-Since P/C make their skating look so effortless, they're getting the highest GOEs.
-There is an 11-point gap between 2 and 3. But only a 2,30 point between 1 and 2. V/M lost on execution this time. Yet it's VERY close and nothing is played.
-Ice Dance is the best discipline. :biggrin:

peepsquick

Final Flight
I'm not talking about the music. I'm talking about the program. It's a "pretty" program, and pretty programs are always far more accessible.

Not just "pretty"! This is way beyond. And drama always draws more enthusiasm IMO. V/M piece is very well done and skated beautifully but it is meant for popular appeal (by that I mean that most people respond to drama).

MelDee

Final Flight
Thank you Anyasnake for the technical breakdown! It's very helpful for understanding the difference in the performances! :thank:

Bcash

Final Flight
Gee what more can H/D do to sway the judges? I have the same question as the BEsp commentators.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Gee what more can H/D do to sway the judges? I have the same question as the BEsp commentators.

Well, of course they can make sure to get that Level 4 in the lift. That would have gotten them the bronze over the Shibs here. Beyond that, Donohue could work on being more sensual with Hubbell in his facial expression. I think Hubbell was giving more attitude than he was. I think they can also emphasize the beat of the music more in the second half of the program. Overall, the program can be even more raw and sultry, and with luck it could be exactly that by Nationals.