Olympic Games Tech Panels and Judges | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Olympic Games Tech Panels and Judges

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The medal ceremonies are after the free skate in the Pyeongchang Olympic Plaza, so I think they'll just receive flowers on the ice again. Plus you need a separate ticket to attend the medal ceremony.

Thank you. At least now I know.

I thought the medal ceremonies were just out in the open so the public could watch. Are you saying people have to buy a separate ticket just to see medals awarded?

kiches

Final Flight

I thought the medal ceremonies were just out in the open so the public could watch. Are you saying people have to buy a separate ticket just to see medals awarded?

I believe it is technically outdoors, but I think to enter the area immediately in front of the stage to watch you need a ticket (I think the cost was equivalent to $2 USD, but I'm not sure how they'll be selling these medal ceremony tickets). Of course I don't think they can prevent people from overhearing or seeing from a distance.

Hevari

Drivers start your engines!
On the Ice

Maybe just one more way for Organizing Commitee/IOC to have some extra financial profit... Do they have severe financial problems? Because Sochi Games were the first ones with medal ceremony hosted not on the ice/slope/hill but somewhere in other place...

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
At first I thought having the medal ceremony in the Olympic plaza like other sports was nice, but when I re-watched them, they seemed a bit low-energy and a bit awkward as many members watching may not be as familiar with the medalists as the members of the audience in the actual arena where the competition took place would have been.

Procrastinator

On the Ice
sorry to revive this but I'm curious:

who's left who could be drawn for the ladies FS? Based on what I've heard for other events (say, ice dance), four judges on the SP panel get pulled for four judges that haven't judged yet.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
sorry to revive this but I'm curious:

who's left who could be drawn for the ladies FS? Based on what I've heard for other events (say, ice dance), four judges on the SP panel get pulled for four judges that haven't judged yet.

I'm interested to see who's selected as well. The judging lineup isn't on the ISU page yet for the LP. Three went for Evgenia over Alina in the SP, including the Olympic Judge from Russia (is this what we're calling them?). I wonder how many of those three will remain for the LP.

Procrastinator

On the Ice
There was also no CAN judge in the mix. The US judges have also tended to not be supportive of the canadians both here and in the grand prix. It's a very strange trend. Look at how Virtue/Moir and Osmond were assessed by them. It's quite counterintuitive that the US and RUS occupy the same "bloc"

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I can see using panels that are more lenient just to make it more international casual viewer friendly.

If Skater A has a beautiful program and lands everything with the crowd going crazy and her coaches all happy, but URs most of her jumps and is given a low score, the tv audience will have no idea why she didn't get higher scores/potentially not podium.

It's a problem with the scoring system/judges how GOE is assigned to jumps. For example, Dabin Choi clearly underrotated her 3Toe in the 3Lutz+3Toe here at the Olympics, but the combo didn't deserve -GOE because it was clean otherwise and had a nice lutz. She definitely would have been given -GOE if the call had been made, overpunishing her.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
It's a problem with the scoring system/judges how GOE is assigned to jumps. For example, Dabin Choi clearly underrotated her 3Toe in the 3Lutz+3Toe here at the Olympics, but the combo didn't deserve -GOE because it was clean otherwise and had a nice lutz. She definitely would have been given -GOE if the call had been made, overpunishing her.

This is something I'll agree with you on. Base value on UR should be enough, the additional -GOE is very harsh. Makes UR nearly as bad as a fall score-wise, even though it doesn't interrupt the program nearly as much. Because of this, a panel being lenient during Olympics is certainly a good thing as a whole.

I too am very curious about seeing the final judging panel for the FS. It'll be especially interesting seeing what sort of scores the ones who get replaced were giving out.

charlotte14

Medalist
I am not sure if tech panels were easy because they want to be viewers friendly or they’re playing political games.