snowplow on figure versus on hockey skates | Golden Skate

snowplow on figure versus on hockey skates

treesprite

Final Flight
Does anyone who skates in both figure and hockey skates, have any advice about what I need to do differently to do a snowplow stop on hockey skates? When I try to do it in hockey skates, my foot pretty much just slides, not enough scrape to stop.

I am asking because I need to use my hockey skates instead of wearing out my expensive figure skates for rink guarding. I got the hockey skates a long time ago, but don't use them. I'm afraid to move away from the wall because I can't stop in them.

Jh9772

Rinkside
I use both figure and hockey skates, and when I snowplow stop in hockey skates I find I have to really press down more into the ice or, like you said, the blades just slide. Almost like the kind of pressure I apply for a deep edge pull on figure skate, but more outwards, if that makes sense.

I was going to suggest a deeper hollow on your hockey skates for more grip, but I believe from previous posts you’ve mentioned you sharpen skates and have probably already considered that.

Jh9772

Rinkside
I would think it important to get the snowplow under control on the hockey skates before she attempts a hockey stop.

Mussique

On the Ice
I'm not sure since I haven't practiced on hockey skates. But from what I've seen do beginners in hockey skates in my rink I'd recommend practicing scraping ice from a standpoint (the barrier, if you need it for balance) until you get a feel of actually scraping the ice and then using that to stop.

treesprite

Final Flight
I have them at 7/16ths. I only used them for a few minutes after the last time I sharpened them.

I will try pressing harder than I do on my figure skates.

The longest I have ever been in hockey skates was about long enough to go two laps around the rink, at the wall the whole time. If I could stop quick in them, I wouldn't be afraid to leave the wall. I can go backwards on them a bit, and do two-footed turns (for guarding, being able to turn front-to-back-to-front without hesitation at the last second to check on things I hear happening, is really important).

I only have the hockey skates because I found a brand new never sharpened pair my size at a thrift store for $7. They have the Nike name on them. I tried skating in rental hockey skates before that, but these are more comfortable on my feet.

Jh9772

Rinkside
I skated in hockey skates for several years. Now I skate in figure skates 95% of the time, and when I put on my hockey skates it takes at least a half hour to really find my balance, and longer before I can start really feeling confident.

It takes much longer to get used to my figure skates when I put them back on.

treesprite

Final Flight
My new custom boots are defective and there is a strong possibility that they will get sent back to be corrected, which means probably 6 to 8 weeks without them. I don't want to suffer in my old boots, and my feet won't fit in rental figure skates, so the only other thing is to use the hockey skates.

Jh9772

Rinkside
I know, I saw your story on the FSU board. I’ve had similar problems with my custom Jacksons in the past.

Last edited:

treesprite

Final Flight
I know, I saw your story on the FSU board. I’ve had similar problems with my custom Jacksons in the past.

I always have to figure out which board to post which posts on. I probably can't explain how I come to the decisions without offending the boards. Both are good, and if they were exactly the same, there would be no point in having both of them.

treesprite

Final Flight
I managed to do a little bit of a snowplow stop last night. I have to turn in my foot almost all the way perpendicular to do it (in my figure skates, I don't have to turn my toe that much inward). Guarding requires a lot of tiny micro stops, which is going to be annoying if I have to practically twist off my foot every time I stop.

Jh9772

Rinkside
I managed to do a little bit of a snowplow stop last night. I have to turn in my foot almost all the way perpendicular to do it (in my figure skates, I don't have to turn my toe that much inward). Guarding requires a lot of tiny micro stops, which is going to be annoying if I have to practically twist off my foot every time I stop.

Hopefully it’s just something you will get better at over time. It is definitely annoying, but not surprising considering how little time it’s been since you started using the hockey skates.

treesprite

Final Flight
Hopefully it’s just something you will get better at over time. It is definitely annoying, but not surprising considering how little time it’s been since you started using the hockey skates.

I've barely used them at all. I guess I have gone on the ice with them about 5 times, over more than a year, just for a few minutes to maybe 15 minutes. I have gone around the complete ice rink in them only maybe 3 different times (once each time, including once last night, plus just going between doors and stepping on and off the ice at each opening). I have gone a few yards backwards in them a couple of times, which was probably easier than going forward.