2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating | Page 973 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

fabienne1996

Medalist
Country
Germany
Masaru in the K&C would be amazing! :luv17: If the WTT organizers make a medal for her so she can be on the podium even better! Please make this happen, Skate Gods, Japanese quarantine laws & WTT organizers!
While she is a cute dog I don't know if it would be a good thing for the dog , dog have a much more sensitive hearing than we and being in a ice rink with I don't know how many hundreds to thousand people clapping and cheering loudly I don't think it would be so much fun for her

Finley

Record Breaker
While she is a cute dog I don't know if it would be a good thing for the dog , dog have a much more sensitive hearing than we and being in a ice rink with I don't know how many hundreds to thousand people clapping and cheering loudly I don't think it would be so much fun for her

That's true :(

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I have to give it to Alina and Zhenya - they really did it when it counted. I feel a bit sorry for Sofia but she was rock solid. I honestly never expected Zhenya to be at worlds let alone win a medal. And from all the practice reports we got it didn't sound overly good for her either. I don't know about what happened with Zhenya and Eteri but I will say this - much of the success has to be attributed to Eteri and nothing can or will change that. I like that Zhenya knows she has to improve and deal with her maturing body and technique issues. It isn't easy - look at Mao Asada - I am not sure she every dealt with it really and she naturally had a more fitting body type for skating unlike Zhenya. Since Zhenya got injured at worlds I would hope ET goes to WTT and tries out the 3A's.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Does anyone think we’ll ever see Radionova, Sotnikova, or Fedichkina again? I’m worried they’ve all decided to retire but just haven’t announced anything yet.

moriel

Record Breaker
I wonder if some young russian girls will try quads next season.
And by the way, why doesn't Sasha jump quad salchow anymore ?

She said that she couldnt warm up properly 3 different types of quads in a competition warm up.

DougDorsey

On the Ice
edited to add: i don't remember anyone telling borser to show some grace and poise when yuna left, didn't see anyone telling raf to shut up last year either when he had some words to say about nathan and his family :rolleye:

That's a fair point, and it's unfortunate if these male coaches weren't held to the same standards that some folks, myself included, are holding Eteri to. I just wanted to make it clear, since you were responding to my post, that I believe all coaches, male or female, should be held to the same standards.

People often speak critically of Eteri and Zhenya, or Orser and Yuna, or Raf and Nathan/Eunsoo as if they're equals, when that couldn't be further from the case. You're comparing adults - and, moreover, coaches tasked to be responsible for their pupils - with teenagers/children. I think, given their precociousness and immense talent, we often forget that, say, Zhenya was barely 18 when she left Eteri, or that Alina is all of 16 and shouldering the huge pressures she has to shoulder. There should, without question, be different standards and expectations for coaches/adults versus their skaters/children.

It's fair to say that both Eteri and Zhenya could have handled their parting better; but you can also say that Zhenya was a teenager still figuring things out and it's acceptable for her to make mistakes and hopefully learn from them (as we all did when we were her age), whereas Eteri is a grown woman and coach in her mid-40s, who should really know better and behave with more maturity and less pettiness. And, to be 100% clear to anyone who thinks this is an anti-Eteri thing, you can and should say the same thing of Orser or Raf or any other coach who behaves inappropriately in their dealings with a minor, especially one who is or was in their care.

Anyway, in the interest of returning to skating discussion, I'll leave my thoughts at that.

moriel

Record Breaker
Well said.

Fans of whomever should refrain from insulting people on IG Twitter etc. It's not the fault of EG or Zhenya when their fans act up.

Who is this Rodina? An athlete? Why would she say she wanted to beat Alina? Odd. That's a threat.

She is a blogger with quite an audience.
She was EXTREMELY agressive against Alina (honestly, the only reason for Alina and her family not to sue Rodina is because they dont want more hate against Alina in the internets which this would surely produce).

Scott512

Record Breaker
She is a blogger with quite an audience.
She was EXTREMELY agressive against Alina (honestly, the only reason for Alina and her family not to sue Rodina is because they dont want more hate against Alina in the internets which this would surely produce).

Thank you.

They should sue her for for every Ruble she has. It's the offseason no competitions until September.

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
Sometimes I think Eteri might form a personal bond that even she has a hard time expressing. Wouldn’t be surprised to learn that her students don’t fully grasp it. She was with Zhenya for a very long time and I can only imagine the emotional journey they went thru. I have a feeling her comments aren’t her lamenting about her medal count but most likely stem from deep rooted personal feelings.

That’s why I don’t really comment on the matter. Even when they take to the public it feels too personal for me to offer any valuable insight. YMMV.

Well, yes. The way I understand it the main issue was not that Zhenya had left, but HOW she had left.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Eteri shouldnt write about Medvedeva, Eteri is public person and she is more responsible for her words than you and me, because her words are listen by fans and media. After wc2019 Medo fans were happy and Zagi fans were happy, but no Eteri couldnt resist and wrote how much Medo hurt her. Is that normal after one year? no. writing about parents ok but why about Zhenya?

Eteri knew how people will react. so yeah she is guilty of that. if she didnt mention Zhenya we wouldnt even talk about that post. It was childish(pushing people's buttons) and since when adult person talk about private life on instagram. o tempora, o mores.

ps. and yes Eteri is a great coach but not great person.
ps2. those who said Eteri didnt write about Zhenya. from Eteri post "Next is the strange departure of my students, one of whom I set as an example for everyone" the answer is who is Evgenia Medvedeva. i liked jeopardy

Well, I didn't want to say anything in this matter. But I have seen how many posters support your post and I becam surprised. I will be unpopular.

I read Eteri's post the post of about Eteri's life, in her own words. She didn't mention Med's name. She told a story of her incredibly hard year, and Med is part of that with her move one of the bad things of a bad year. I don't believe that was an attack on Med just a fact what made for her bad feeling especially in those tragedies.
To say she is a bad person is a shame.:( I don't care about Eteri, I don't know her, I have no exact informations on her, I don't follow her in social media now, just read the articles by the journalists, etc. I just don't like if anybody became an evil by the biased fans despite we could read many opinions on her from her pupils, who don't just respect but love her....Many posters ignore those informations...

I don't say I would like to see your and all of those posters' reactions, acts in similar situations as Eteri was in the whole last year because I don't want you bad things, tragedies in your life. She was working hard for her pupils she sat next to them on competitions and she probably was crying inside..

I really ashamed of myself because of this post knowing the whole story.

p.s: I like Medvedeva.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Well, yes. The way I understand it the main issue was not that Zhenya had left, but HOW she had left.

Exactly. Remember Polina Shelepen's recent inteview on the matter of her departure, where she confessed that she left Eteri without saying goodbye or anything, because she felt she couldn't look into her eyes. She very clearly expressed "I loved her (Eteri)."

I can't blame young girl that she isn't able to gather the courage to speak openly with her coach about departure, on the other hand I can't either blame a coach who invested not only time and effort, but also part of herself into her student (which is much more than some money), who then leaves and says nothing, not even thanks her. Acknowledgement on a press conference is not the thing, this should be personal. Some people on the west probably understand the relation between the coach-athlete only on commercial basis, I pay, you coach, but you can see there are teams, incl. Khrustalny, where it is not just on commercial basis. It is much deeper. And I don't say "deeper" necesarilly means "friendly" or "mother-daughter", but they need to understand each other. That's also why team Tutberidze is able to create proper programs for each athlete. Some criticize e. g. Alyona's programs, that "with her it is beauty, but with anybody else it would be ridiculous". But that souldn't be viewed negatively in my opinion. They just don't create generic programs for anybody, but specific programs for particular athletes. But that requires understanding and confidence on both sides.