Denis Ten | Page 62 | Golden Skate

Denis Ten

Feline Feeder

Rinkside
I remember believing he should have won the gold in 2013 World's, and being happy that he got the bronze a year later. He was always someone to look out for at every competition that I watched. I hadn't realized how badly injured he had been, or known he had done so poorly in 2018. I will always remember him at his peak.

I used to watch a Korean drama (subtitled--I am not Korean) called "Likable or Not." One of the characters was a Korean from Kazakhstan. I had never heard of this ethnicity before then. A few years later, Denis burst onto the scene and I was like, "Oh wow! He's like Sonya (the character on the show)."

Besides everyone else, I feel especially bad for Frank Carroll. I think there have been two skaters that have died tragically young in the last several years, and both of them were his former students. So sad.

Zenchio63

Final Flight

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I'm not sure which Olympics you are referring to as he didn't make it through to the FS in Pyeongchang.

Here's his FS at Golden Spin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LrBFwZiDH0

Hi, unfortunately, Denis finished in 27th place in the SP competition and did not qualify for FS. Here is a video of his SP in case you haven't seen it:

https://youtu.be/ANcGFT2ihSk
I'm sorry, I meant his 2014 Olympics FS, the bronze medal performance!

Sk8LAX

Spectator
I was at Toyota Sports Center today and they have a lovely tribute to Denis at the main entrance. Several photos and lots of flowers - it was very touching.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
People dislike the rap part of the song but I always found the lyrics so poignant. My favorite line is “How can we not talk about family when family’s all we got”. The Fast and Furious movies are about people from all different walks of life and the fierce bond they share that they become like family. It reminds me of the skating world and how the skating family has now lost a beloved member.

Funny that I like the rap part more than sang one by Charlie Puth - I feel like this kind of musical expression, in-between singing and speaking, suits the lyrics/the song more. My favourite part - and kind of fitting into this whole tragedy -is this: 'And the vibe is feeling strong and what's small turn to a friendship, a friendship turn into a bond and that bond will never be broken and the love will never get lost'; I think this voices feelings of many skaters who knew Denis and worked with him, this kind of bond may be broken by Denis' death, but it will survive through memories and experience shared together.

I still cannot wrap my head around what happened, it was really a painful reminder to not take everything for granted...

moriel

Record Breaker
I wonder if GS could have some sort of tribute to Denis, maybe closing and pinning this thread forever, or re-naming one of the forums in his honor.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I wonder if GS could have some sort of tribute to Denis, maybe closing and pinning this thread forever, or re-naming one of the forums in his honor.

This is a nice idea, although pinning the one about "Your Favourite Memory of Denis Ten" is probably better, the title of this one hurts my heart whenever I see it. :(

The past few days whenever I'm out I keep looking at car mirrors and thinking how horrible it is that two people killed someone over those. It's just senseless.

Rina RUS

Final Flight
Country
Russia

This one?? (sorry) Wouldn't it be better to choose the "Share Your Favorite Memory of Denis Ten" thread (if pinning a thread forever is a possible decision)?

This one is called "Denis Ten dies..."
I guess memory should always live, but I don't think, that keeping a person dying forever would be a good decision. ?..

Tulipstar

Medalist
It was his funeral today. My deep, sincere condolences to Denis' family and friends.

Tulips are the national flower of Kazakhstan, I heard. Denis, these are for you. R.I.P.

I didn't know tulips are the national flower of Kazakhstan. I will buy some and put them in my garden.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
It would be a good tribute if the kazhak federation created an annual event named after Denis. Like "Denis Ten trophy".

I think, what will become the "Denis Ten and friends" show?

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
This one?? (sorry) Wouldn't it be better to choose the "Share Your Favorite Memory of Denis Ten" thread (if pinning a thread forever is a possible decision)?

This one is called "Denis Ten dies..."
I guess memory should always live, but I don't think, that keeping a person dying forever would be a good decision. ?..

The name of the thread would need to be changed, but most of the members' tributes are here (not all of us HAVE memories of him) and also the links to tributes by other skaters and sportsmen. Something like In Memory Of...? (I'm sure someone can come up with something better)

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
It would be a good tribute if the kazhak federation created an annual event named after Denis. Like "Denis Ten trophy".

I think, what will become the "Denis Ten and friends" show?

I'd like it if someone took over the show but altered the name so it doesn't sound like he's also particiating :[ It would be great if either a show or a competition was held there to help keep Denis' memory alive, and bring top skaters from all over the world like he did.

Emailed the local Kazakhstan embassy today, as it's website says nothing about Denis or condolence books. :/

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
The name of the thread would need to be changed, but most of the members' tributes are here (not all of us HAVE memories of him) and also the links to tributes by other skaters and sportsmen. Something like In Memory Of...? (I'm sure someone can come up with something better)

I can see what you mean, but it would probably mean splitting this thread, or deleting its first part. The first couple of pages of this one are people posting their 'get well' wishes when they thought Denis would live, and that would be absolutely heartbreaking to have pinned forever. :cry: Therefore I vote for the memory sharing thread too.

QueenOfTheRoad

Final Flight
Country
Germany
I came here after my holiday to read such horrible news. My heart weeps to read about such a life cut short in such a senseless way.

RIP Denis Ten, you will be missed from the skating community. Thank you for your skating! :thank:

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I think Dens Ten and friends should be called Denis Ten's Friends. And it should be a FS show that would be linked to a foundation for FS in Kazakstan or other good cause.