2018-19 Ladies' power ranking | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Ladies' power ranking

Fluture

Record Breaker
So, if some do not show up for a competition because coaches, team doctors, a federation, and a gut feel, tells a skater that they cannot compete, they are to be given the benefit of the doubt that had they, they would have won regardless? Trust me, I know all about sports injuries and in the interim we have Osmond that despite hers, is still ranked Number 1.

This may be tough for some to swallow I know, but she has earned it, deservedly so.

I like Kaetlyn but the ISU ranking really doesn‘t represent the reality sometimes. In the last season, Kaetlyn objectively had the best results. (Alina got better medals at the Olympics but she was only 5th at Worlds) Evgenia missed a lot of the season, namely GPF and Worlds. But the last three seasons combined? Evgenia won everything she could have won the two seasons before. And Alina had her best season last year, winning Europeans, GPF and Olympics, yet she is behind even Wakaba. So, this list is a bit difficult for me to judge.

And it‘s also irrelevant for this discussion because power ranking is for the FUTURE not the past. So, as much as I like and appreciate Kaetlyn, she won‘t be found anywhere in this power ranking list because she‘s simply not competing in the next season.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
And Caro, come on...
She still has the same SP, so she can get a way higher score then most with it. Out of ten because she is older and hers stamina make her so inconsistent with the FS ? I may get it if we are going to see the malus GOE affecting her a lot. Otherwise, nope. She was over 210 four times last season, between GPs and Olympics, six times over 200, leaving nationals aside, obviously. Sorry, but Caro is still there.

I agree and of course she is. People forget that she came back after two years to get on the European podium and finish 6th at Worlds in 2017, even when she only competed for part of that season. And 6th is the lowest she has finished since her comeback, constantly making podiums and even winning the SP at Worlds at the age of 31. I wouldn't take some posters seriously after reading an absurd claim from them that she gets high scores because of "political/marketing reasons" :rofl:.

Some people just don't respect what an accomplished skater Carolina is, namely:

Source

Kostner has been the first Italian female figure skater to reach many milestones, including:

- First Italian singles skater to win a medal at the world junior championships (bronze, 2003)
- First Italian woman to win a European title (2007)
- First Italian woman to win a world championship title (2012)
- First Italian singles skater to win an Olympic medal (bronze, 2014)

No amount of political/marketing reasons are going to justify a decades plus of these trailblazing accomplishments; obviously she has earned it by being one of the best skaters of the last decade, constantly touching many people with her skating, despite how people have tried to discount her.

GretchenG

Rinkside
Are you seriously that naive? :laugh: I mean last season didn't taught you anything? :unsure: Ok, here we go - I will quote couple of people I am agree with from other topic

An observation. I, obviously, can't be everywhere on the Internet, but in all of the comments in the sites/social media I have read, I have never read a comment where someone actually says, "I like the crammed/busy programs". I see a lot of comments where people write, "The judges like/seem to like the jam-packed programs", and "People like the busy programs". I'd like to hear from these people, hear their reasons for it.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Are you seriously that naive? :laugh: I mean last season didn't taught you anything? :unsure: Ok, here we go - I will quote couple of people I am agree with from other topic

An observation. I, obviously, can't be everywhere on the Internet, but in all of the comments in the sites/social media I have read, I have never read a comment where someone actually says, "I like the crammed/busy programs". I see a lot of comments where people write, "The judges like/seem to like the jam-packed programs", and "People like the busy programs". I'd like to hear from these people, hear their reasons for it.

Then I'll be the first :biggrin:
I like the programs with lots of movements and actions and variety. They are more intriguing and riveting than emptier ones.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Then I'll be the first :biggrin:
I like the busy programs. They are more intriguing and riveting than emptier ones.

I just don't like "busy" to describe programs like Zhenya had with Eteri or Alina had and has. "Jam-packed", "full of action" anything opposite to empty and boring will do.

moriel

Record Breaker
i suppose this weekend will give us some updates on russian ladies.
From the girls who competed today, id say
Tuktik >> Konstantinova / Tsurskaya >> Radionova / Panenkova

Fluture

Record Breaker
i suppose this weekend will give us some updates on russian ladies.
From the girls who competed today, id say
Tuktik >> Konstantinova / Tsurskaya >> Radionova / Panenkova

Radionova and Panenkova competed today?

moriel

Record Breaker
Oh, I missed it.

Edit: Never mind, I’m asking in the competition thread.

Yep. Overall a good read for all the rankers, since this week we have several of the ladies competing for the russian #3 spot across two competitions.

Fluture

Record Breaker
Yep. Overall a good read for all the rankers, since this week we have several of the ladies competing for the russian #3 spot across two competitions.

I‘d say Liza looks pretty good. Masha could be in contention, too but... those URs... after seeing Polina and Lena it‘s a clear pattern that she has no clue how to fix them at all. So, yeah, Liza seems to be the best so far.

3dsushi

On the Ice
You didn’t include Kaori Sakamoto 6th place in Olympics, 4 Continents champion and Japanese national silver medalist. Or you totally forgot her? Probably the most consistent and reliable of the Japanese women.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
You didn’t include Kaori Sakamoto 6th place in Olympics, 4 Continents champion and Japanese national silver medalist. Or you totally forgot her? Probably the most consistent and reliable of the Japanese women.

I mentioned her in the OP

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Some updates after this week. Once again, this is my personal ranking. Everyone is welcome to comment or post alternative ranking.

#1 Alina Zagitova She is in the outer space versus everyone else at this moment.

#2 Evgenija Medvedeva No news

#3 Rika Kihira No news

#4 Elizaveta Tuktamysheva +2 She can jump 3A both in SP and FP without falls. She can do 3Lz-3T. If she progresses as the season goes she seems to become the undisputed Russian team member.

#5 Bradie Tennel She is good but without Medvedeva's brand or Kihira/Tuktamysheva's 3As she should be below them.

#6 Satoko Miyahara -2 Two less than impressive performances. I think she starts to lose it. Well, it's early in the season but still. Her #1 Japanese status is very fragile. And after losing it her ranking will keep going down.

#7 Mai Mihara No news

#8 Loena Hendrickx No news

#9 Wakaba Higuchi No news

#10 Elizabet Tursunbaeva Lizbet keeps getting better. Eteri's team does yet another wonder laughing at those who claim that they can work only with "easy recyclable juniors". If she skates clean in Canada she can challenge Medvedeva. That would be a twist in this year's main saga.

Below my top-10

Maria Sotskova. Her performance at test skates was weaker than a year ago. But then it got only worse. I am not sure she can seriously challenge Liza this season.

Kaori Sakamoto. She was a bit stronger at JO but it is still inconclusive. Let's wait untill GP. She can be competitive with Mai and Satoko and replace one of them in Top-10 or even Rika if she fails to deliver when it matters most.

Daria Panenkova. I don't want to think that she peaked during test skates but her performance during a recent competition was just lamentable.

Elena Radionova. It does not look good so far.

Polina Tsurskaya. It does not look good so far.

Fluture

Record Breaker
Some updates after this week. Once again, this is my personal ranking. Everyone is welcome to comment or post alternative ranking.

#1 Alina Zagitova She is in the outer space versus everyone else at this moment.

#2 Evgenija Medvedeva No news

#3 Rika Kihira No news

#4 Elizaveta Tuktamysheva +2 She can jump 3A both in SP and FP without falls. She can do 3Lz-3T. If she progresses as the season goes she seems to become the undisputed Russian team member.

#5 Bradie Tennel She is good but without Medvedeva's brand or Kihira/Tuktamysheva's 3As she should be below them.

#6 Satoko Miyahara -2 Two less than impressive performances. I think she starts to lose it. Well, it's early in the season but still. Her #1 Japanese status is very fragile. And after losing it her ranking will keep going down.

#7 Mai Mihara No news

#8 Loena Hendrickx No news

#9 Wakaba Higuchi No news

#10 Elizabet Tursunbaeva Lizbet keeps getting better. Eteri's team does yet another wonder laughing at those who claim that they can work only with "easy recyclable juniors". If she skates clean in Canada she can challenge Medvedeva. That would be a twist in this year's main saga.

Below my top-10

Maria Sotskova. Her performance at test skates was weaker than a year ago. But then it got only worse. I am not sure she can seriously challenge Liza this season.

Kaori Sakamoto. She was a bit stronger at JO but it is still inconclusive. Let's wait untill GP. She can be competitive with Mai and Satoko and replace one of them in Top-10 or even Rika if she fails to deliver when it matters most.

Daria Panenkova. I don't want to think that she peaked during test skates but her performance during a recent competition was just lamentable.

Elena Radionova. It does not look good so far.

Polina Tsurskaya. It does not look good so far.

How did Bradie do at JO?

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
How did Bradie do at JO?

126 - a bit less than the Japanese. But everyone but top Russian (world) skaters are usually scored more reserved than the Japanese at JO. I remember Satoko's 140+ just a year or two ago....Just looked up: Mai Mihara received 147.83 last year. Has she ever been any close to that result before or after?

Fluture

Record Breaker
126 - a bit less than the Japanese. But everyone but top Russian (world) skaters are usually scored more reserved than the Japanese at JO. I remember Satoko's 140+ just a year or two ago.

I didn‘t mean in terms of scores but general outing. Did her jumps look better than at ACI/any other improvements? She really seemed hungry and full of energy, that‘s why I‘m asking. I think she‘s determined to get on that Worlds podium this season...

About scoring: I know that you usually have to be a bit careful with scores from events like JO and WTT. But didn‘t Kaori get two e calls for her flips? (Scoring generally seemed to be a bit off since Kaori has a flutz not a lip. :shrug: )

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I didn‘t mean in terms of scores but general outing. Did her jumps look better than at ACI/any other improvements? She really seemed hungry and full of energy, that‘s why I‘m asking. I think she‘s determined to get on that Worlds podium this season...

About scoring: I know that you usually have to be a bit careful with scores from events like JO and WTT. But didn‘t Kaori get two e calls for her flips? (Scoring generally seemed to be a bit off since Kaori has a flutz not a lip. :shrug: )

I think it was similar to ACI - good overall impression with challenged landings. I think that she is on the right track. Just needs some jump polishing.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker

I know Bradie missed a combo somewhere and had a couple of URs

My current ranking:
1. Alina
2. Rika
3. Evgenia
4. Liza
5. Bradie
6. Satoko
7. Elizabet
8. Mai
9. Kaori
10. Loena