What's your vote on Sasha's move? | Page 8 | Golden Skate

What's your vote on Sasha's move?

kyla2

Final Flight
Gezando

How did talking about hospital acquired infections turn into a monologue on work the CDC or WHO would undertake?? I think you underestimate your capabilities (or everyone else's). Now if you told me you could skate like Sasha, then I would argue that you were overestimating your capabilities. We will have to agree to disagree and I will continue to see the beauty and strength of every skater, while at the same time recognizing areas they might improve in. I wish them all the best.

Eeyora

Final Flight
If one were to divide the subjects that have been brought up in this thread . How many threads would we have. One thing is for sure Sasha is one of the most debated skaters of all time.

Red Dog said:
I don't know about all time, but on this forum, definitely, I agree.
If you followed GS before Nagano and until she gave up the GPs, La Kwan was the most debated on the forum along with Michael Weiss. The vitriol against Kwan was uncalled for even to calling her subversive because she used Sheherazad as music. So bitter were the anti Kwans during that long period. It was only when she became a recent semi-recluse did it slow down.

Sasha seems to me to be getting backlash because that period. However, Sasha is a top tier skater and extremely popular, and maybe that goes with the territory. I don't think Sasha deserves undo criticism, and maybe it is time to close this thread.

Joe

Last edited:

shdotz

On the Ice
Sasha's Move

I believe it's a good move for Sasha.

The belief that because one coach had a gold medalist win in the Olympics doesn't mean that they will - or - will not have another; the skater is the winner, not the coach.

I do believe, however, that some coaches are better than others - that's obvious when one has followed figure skating for 10 years; perhaps some can "get it" in a shorter period of time.

I believe desire and effective communication are key to wins. The coach needs to listen to the skater and visa versa.

They both need to listen to the music; then the skater needs to constantly ponder the music and moves together - off the ice.

Excellent Performance demands knowledge, desire, practice, communication, visualization, discipline, and dedication - on a daily basis. Off season is the time to allow the mind and body to rest. This is true in any performance art; it's not reserved for figure skating which is just one of the performance arts.

Sasha Cohen has the technique and beauty of a gold medalist. So does MK and others. They need to put the required elements together to win.

I'd like to see Irina S. win the gold at the next Olympics. She's got it all and more.

sh

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
If Worlds ends with Cohen, Kwan, and Slute in a 3-way tie for gold, would the reaction cause the internet to crash? What if it was a 3-way tie for Olys gold? (Seriously, I really want Kwan and Slute to tie for gold!)

skatingfan5

On the Ice
Internet long before Nagano

nicole_l said:
There was internet before Nagano? :rofl:
Since you are :rofl: and I'm not sure why, perhaps your question wasn't serious. But if it was I'm assuming that you are someone under 20 years of age -- and I can report that there certainly was "internet" before Nagano, though it was not the visually-enriched cyberworld of today. I can vividly recall "watching" the Lillehammer ladies FS unfold live via text news releases -- and was happy at Nancy's all-too-brief first place standing. Then Oksana skated and even though I couldn't read Norwegian (that was the only live news feed), I could make out the headline "Oksana Baiul Wins!"

nicole_l said:
Joe meant Salt Lake City (Scheherazade). But the Internet was invented in the 1960s (long before Al Gore appeared on the scene, LOL). In those days people didn't have PCs, so it was just used by academic consortia and government agencies.

Anyroad...in one week Sasha will be skating at Nationals. Either she will skate well or she won't, independent of all the excellent advice she has received on the ten pages of this thread, LOL. Then we can close this thread (and the other three on this topic), and get on with the real mission of figure skating discussion boards: speculating on how Sasha will do at Worlds. :)

Mathman

mzheng

Record Breaker
attyfan said:
If Worlds ends with Cohen, Kwan, and Slute in a 3-way tie for gold, would the reaction cause the internet to crash? What if it was a 3-way tie for Olys gold? (Seriously, I really want Kwan and Slute to tie for gold!)

Theoritically (statistics) it's impossible 3-way tie under CoP. Which are cumilative total points from all phases.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The tie-breaking rules that are in place make it pretty much impossible for even two skaters to finish dead even. They would have had to get the exact same score in both segments of the competition, and if there was a qualifying round, the same score in that. That just isn't likely to happen. So far in two years of the GP, there has never been a tie even in one segment of the competition.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I thought that there was a tie at SA, with Phaneuf and Cziny (sp?) after the short program.

gezando

Final Flight
kyla2 said:
How did talking about hospital acquired infections turn into a monologue on work the CDC or WHO would undertake??

:rofl: First of all kyla welcome to GS. How can one thing lead to another, quite easy at GS. Sometimes a skating discussion may develop into a discussion on statistics, sigma, standard deviation, linear regression on and on. :rofl: Of course I don't know statistics, but I always have fun reading the post

I think you underestimate your capabilities (or everyone else's).
Nah... I know my limitation well. I never claim ability to do infx dz work, or perform the wonderful job nurses are doing day in and day out. I have a ton of respect for nurses.

Now if you told me you could skate like Sasha,
Oh I never want to claim ability to skate either.

We will have to agree to disagree and I will continue to see the beauty and strength of every skater, while at the same time recognizing areas they might improve in. I wish them all the best.

Good. I understand your concern about posters not wanting Cohen to succeed or do her best. From my point of view some of the predictions are just taking down expectation and pressure. If you were here in 2003, there were posters here at GS who wished specifically that the national title to go to any one but Kwan, talk about not being "generous".

Shortly after oly 02, the boards were lite up with Sarah flutz, underrotate her jumps, can't stretch her knees in a spiral

Last edited:

gezando

Final Flight
Red Dog said:
What kind of statement is this? On the other hand, I think she is the most criticized here...even some new/newer posters are pointing that out...not that I think there is anything wrong with that, but I think it's totally ridiculous to say Cohen is protected here. :sheesh:

So far no one has wished "anyone but Sasha" to win nationals ;)

What ever criticism Cohen received in this thread is no where near what was thrown at Sarah post olys. There was a thread in summer of 02 that grew to 300 long just on how MK could not skate with her center or skate from the center or whatever. Now moderator wanted to close this thread, so iMHO Cohen is one of the most protected skaters here. BTW, isn't one of the mods here an owner of a Cohen board?

nicole_l said:

Not only was there internet during Nagano, I got an e-mail on the results and later a tape off the TV. I hope you are not confusing Nagano and Nagasaki. :scratch:

Joe

kyla2

Final Flight
Gezando

Thanks for the nice reply-I DO appreciate it! You know, I wanted Michelle to win the Olympics so badly, I didn't watch her skate (I taped it and my husband watched). I had the BIBLE out and I was praying for her. I'm not kidding. That's how much I wanted her to win. But when it was all said and done, and I watched her skate and saw Sarah's performance, I knew it was only right that Sarah won the gold. She skated beautifully, whether or not she underrotated her jumps (I don't think she did that day). I was happy for Sarah and felt bad for everyone else. But I had to admit that Sarah deserved that win. In short, I am an equal opportunity skating fan. I love figure skating and even though I think Michelle Kwan has elevated figure skating to an art form at certain times in her career, I really do appreciate the other skaters. They have given me a lot of joy and happiness, and I will be forever greatful to all of them. If I had a wish, it would be that the talented skaters (read that as Angela, Sasha, Jenny, :) Irina to some degree, Fumie, Julia), who haven't had as much success as someone like Michelle, would have their moments of glory too. :)

Peggy

On the Ice
gezando said:

What ever criticism Cohen received in this thread is no where near what was thrown at Sarah post olys. There was a thread in summer of 02 that grew to 300 long just on how MK could not skate with her center or skate from the center or whatever. Now moderator wanted to close this thread, so iMHO Cohen is one of the most protected skaters here. BTW, isn't one of the mods here an owner of a Cohen board?

I was very disappointed when Sasha did not win the Olympic Gold but I thought Sarah definately deserved it. I have never seen her skate better and I was thrilled for her. I just don't like all the mean comment about Sasha.

R.D.

Record Breaker
gezando said:

Oh, is that so? Well, let me be the first. ;) :biggrin:

No, I'm serious!! :yes: I hope Cohen doesn't win!

(Or Kwan, for that matter.)

R.D.

Record Breaker

Or, you could say that they are so tired of Cohen that they don't want to discuss her anymore (ok, KIDDING :biggrin: ). I think we may have to "agree to disagree" here, because I think whoever is the big "subject of debate" (seems to be Cohen in this case :sheesh: ) will get a lot of criticism; in other words, as you put it, will be the "most protected". I bet anyone any amount of money they like that if anyone were to look at Kwan with the same type of scrutiny, they'd be ostracized...on ANY skating board... :sheesh: :mad: ....Go figure.

fscric

On the Ice
One thing that I found appalling when I started browsing through internet for figure skating forums in early 2003 was the amount of attacks directed towards Michelle, and they were not just on her skating qualities, some of them were on her appearance - I don't think Sasha has copped that kind of criticism AFAIK. I understand every person has his/her own favourites, I just don't understand the logic to drag down your favourite's main rival along the way of argument; I don't think it will make the arguments more convincing. JMO.