What's your vote on Sasha's move? | Page 9 | Golden Skate

What's your vote on Sasha's move?

Kuchana

On the Ice
Didn't want to start another thread.

Article written before Sasha went back to Nicks.

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:...4dec_featurecover.pdf+kwan+ice+portland&hl=en

Some snippets:

Cohen, who admires the skating of past Olympic champions Kurt Browning and Kristi Yamaguchi, is, at 20, four years Kwan’s junior. If she can control her extraordinary talent and skate the elusive “clean” long program, she may be ready to challenge her rival for the title. Cohen talked with BrainstormNW about the challenges of skating “clean.”

“Every year I get stronger and stronger. Last year I did four clean long performances. The year before I did only two. It is extremely difficult to do a clean long performance. It is not easy out there,” says Cohen, good naturedly commenting about past mishaps on the ice. “People say when someone falls that they weren’t focused, or they were nervous, but the blade is only an eighth of an inch. You have to be very precise.”

As for Portland, Cohen is no stranger to the city. Her uncle lives here. And he will be in the stands on January 15thwhen Sasha Cohen and Michelle Kwan perform their long programs for the national title. With Cohen focused on defeating the seven-time national champion, does it leave room to get to know Michelle socially? “No,” says Sasha, “competitors don’t socialize with each other. We say, ‘Hi, nice to see you,’ and ‘Goodbye.’” She is, however, friends with some of the male skaters and the pair skaters. That makes sense, because just like when the Red Sox are playing the Yankees, there is only so much time for talking…Portland, Oregon, you are in for a treat.

euterpe

Medalist
"..Cohen focused on defeating the seven-time National champion".

Yup, and therein lies her problem. The focus should be on skating one's best, not on winning, not on defeating another skater.

When Cohen says "skaters don't socialize with each other", she is speaking only for herself. Kwan and Slutskaya are friends, as are Katy Taylor and Kimmie Meissner, and Irina Slutskaya and Elena Sokolova.

Linny

Final Flight
Friends

Yeah, I'd read that competitors are often friends off the ice. I'd even heard that Nancy Kerrigan and Tonya Harding once shared a hotel room when a competition took them to a foreign country... implying a more than passing relationship.
Linny

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Sometimes I have gotten the impression that some of "the friendships" could actually be seen more like publicity stunts. Like, "look here we are standing next to the most dangerous competitor and we are suuuuch great friends".

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I heard that Nancy and Tonya were roommates at 1991 Worlds, but I don't know if the skaters get to choose their own roommates (outside of marriage, I mean.) I read somewhere that Tim Goebel and Johnny Weir were assigned as roommates on the COI tour, and became friends as a result of that.

mzheng

Record Breaker

That's so true. Otherwise there was no sound reason for her shown up at Lake Arrowhead two weeks before Nationals. I mentioned she focus too much of what her competetors doing in another post, the underline statement was the same as defeating her competetors. My observation was based on several years collective infomation I've read about her on line, and the rumor of rinkside stories.

Linny

Final Flight
Competitors as friends

Can't speak for elite skaters and it probably varies highly from individual to individual... but in my sport, competitors are often friends. They are, after all, your peers. You have much in common with them - the same struggles, the same fears, the same passion, etc. Plus, they deal with the rigors of travel and conditioning and all kinds of things. It improves your whole general outlook to have friends who are in the same boat you are in.

I don't think that the friendships are set up for publicity. I think they are genuine.

Of course, you have to be a friend to have a friend.

Linny

nicole_l

Final Flight
Wasn't there a fluff piece on Sasha Cohen and Naomi Nari Nam being friends and going to a Ricky Martin concert together, like 5 years ago at Nationals?
Wouldn't that contradict what she's saying here? (Of course, 5 years is a long time.)

Fossi

Final Flight
When has Sasha ever skated 4 clean LP's in one season? Is she talking about practice run throughs? Everyone knows she hasn't done a clean LP in competition, except once in a QR, right?

I don't think skaters are really "friends." I don't think Irina and Michelle really are. There was a Russian article in which Irina said she has NO friends in skating. There was an American article which she claimed to be friends with Michelle, but I read on another board that it's all for PR to make her more marketable in the US. We all know Irina was MEAN towards Sarah after SLC, so I see no friendship there either.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
IIRC from what I've read Irina and Michelle are friendly toward each other, might have lunch together while on tour but that's about it. Of course I doubt if any of them are going to say..."I can't stand her, no way are we friends".

Peggy

On the Ice
nicole_l said:
Wasn't there a fluff piece on Sasha Cohen and Naomi Nari Nam being friends and going to a Ricky Martin concert together, like 5 years ago at Nationals?
Wouldn't that contradict what she's saying here? (Of course, 5 years is a long time.)

Naomi and Sasha skated at the same rink (I think) and are friends but I don't think that was what she was talking about. I don't think any of the skaters she is competing with train close enough where they could hang out. She probably only sees the skaters she is competing with at competitions so its pretty hard to form a lasting friendship with someone you only see once or twice a year. Michelle and Irina have been around a long time so I think they have had alot of time to get to know each other. Irina seems like a very friendly person and very out going. Maybe if Michelle made some friendly gesters to Sasha she would respond-she is the oldest and been around the longest.
I've seen Sasha interviewed many times and she is always complimentary to other skaters. Naturally the girl wants to do her best and she is not going to be happy when she doesn't. I wouldn't be happy when myself if I knew I could have done better and didn't. I bet most of these skaters feel the same way-including Michelle.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Fossi said:
We all know Irina was MEAN towards Sarah after SLC, so I see no friendship there either.

I didn't know that. What did she do, take the window seat on the bus?

euterpe

Medalist
Irina was mad at everyone because she didn't win the OGM. The sunny, happy Irina was nowhere to be found the rest of that season until she won gold at Worlds.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Maybe I'm wrong but Sasha must see something in John Nicks. She's had two good coaches and could have gone to another good coach but chose Mr. Nicks. Now maybe he is better than the two good coaches in Sasha's opinion and I guess her opinion is the one that counts. I remember one competition where Mr. Nicks was chewing her out and made her cry. He's the only male coach she's had and maybe that's what she needs.

Whatever happens, I love to watch Sasha skate, leg up and all.

Dee

mzheng

Record Breaker
Piel said:
I didn't know that. What did she do, take the window seat on the bus?

In one of her Rusian interview earlier on the season (which was translated at FSU). She made a lot comments about touring in COI. She said had it be MK, she could understand, both she and MK just know many years in and years out hard work to prepare for that Gold. But SH, she had no idear how ... She also mentioned she saw MK's SP on SLC electronic display board the day after SP, she just realised that she had beaten MK in SP just about every element except spiral, ??...

I think her comments were honesty. Just about everyone would've thounght privately had the situation happened on them.

Piel said:
What did she do, take the window seat on the bus?
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I can see that during the competitive season skaters are concentrating on their performances, they see each other briefly only a few times a year, and don't have much time or inclination to socialize.

But on the COI tour they practically live together all summer. I believe there are lots of genuine friendships. For instance, I have read that Sasha, Johnny Weir, Tim Goebel, and Belbin and Agosto liked to hang together, feeling a common bond as the "younger group." Michelle, on the other hand, has always chummed around with older skaters. Brian Boitano, Elvis Stoiko and Dorothy Hamill for instance.

Anyway, it seems like they have plenty of opportunity to put competitive fires aside and relax for a time.

One of the cutest skating pictures I ever saw was on the COI bus, where all of the skaters had fallen asleep. Michelle had gone to sleep on Brian's shoulder, and Tara, in the next seat, had slumped over into Michelle's lap. Awwww.

Mathman

Kuchana

On the Ice
Peggy said:
Maybe if Michelle made some friendly gesters to Sasha she would respond-she is the oldest and been around the longest.
I've seen Sasha interviewed many times and she is always complimentary to other skaters.

And? What's your point? I think you're jumping the gun here. What if it wasn't Michelle but Sasha who wasn't making the friendly gestures? Just because Michelle is older she has to be one who's supposed to be friendly? What if she already is? From my own perception, I think Michelle is more courteous and friendly to other skaters as has been shown towards Irina but that's another thread altogether.

Kuchana

On the Ice
mzheng said:

That's so true. Otherwise there was no sound reason for her shown up at Lake Arrowhead two weeks before Nationals. I mentioned she focus too much of what her competetors doing in another post, the underline statement was the same as defeating her competetors. My observation was based on several years collective infomation I've read about her on line, and the rumor of rinkside stories.

Do you mean that Sasha came to Lake Arrowhead 2 weeks before Nationals to scope out her competition? I agree that she definitely does put too much focus on her competitors. If anything, she needs to focus on her skating.

Kuchana

On the Ice
Linny said:
Can't speak for elite skaters and it probably varies highly from individual to individual... but in my sport, competitors are often friends. They are, after all, your peers. You have much in common with them - the same struggles, the same fears, the same passion, etc. Plus, they deal with the rigors of travel and conditioning and all kinds of things. It improves your whole general outlook to have friends who are in the same boat you are in.

I don't think that the friendships are set up for publicity. I think they are genuine.

Of course, you have to be a friend to have a friend.

Linny

Good point. I don't think that just because you're a competitor that it prevents you from having and maintaining friendships with other skaters, especially your rivals. But it depends on what type of person you are and if you're able to get past that barrier.

Kuchana

On the Ice
Fossi said:
When has Sasha ever skated 4 clean LP's in one season? Is she talking about practice run throughs? Everyone knows she hasn't done a clean LP in competition, except once in a QR, right?

I was also wondering the same thing since I thought she had skated only one LP. Or maybe she's not counting the little mistakes?