Interview with Daniel Gleyhengauz | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Interview with Daniel Gleyhengauz

sx98423

On the Ice
What I am saying is: here they say it was reverse psychology. Right after Worlds they say they were thinking about withdrawing and make it sound as if they actually were.

My question is - which is it.

probably both, they wanted her to go because they knew she could do it but obviously if she really didn't want to go they wouldn't drag her kicking and screaming to japan, thus they were thinking about withdrawing

idky this is such a difficult concept to understand. you try your hardest to get your skaters to do what they're capable of but withdrawing was always on the table

Finley

Record Breaker
And some times it's made up stuff and propaganda.

Why is it so hard to believe? Team Zagitova posted a picture of her ankle on their IG after the season was over and done with. Looked real to me. Tim Koleto tweeted a photo of TV cables and explained that they are dangerous and skaters trip over them all the time.

Ted Flett was the one who tweeted about her tripping. Alina addressed it in the press conference after the competition when she was directly asked about it. She said her ankle was fine and the team doctor took care of it. She didn't try to claim that if she hadn't hurt her ankle she would have skated better or performed better. I do not understand the problem with this?

All skaters talk about their injuries. This happens all the time. Is it propaganda when Yuzu talks about his ankle? Or when Zhenya mentions she skated on painkillers because she injured herself in practice before the free skate? Why is it only propaganda when Daniil mentions Alina chemical burn during the gala commentary? It was a crazy freak injury.

AkikoNana

Rinkside
All skaters talk about their injuries. This happens all the time. Is it propaganda when Yuzu talks about his ankle? Or when Zhenya mentions she skated on painkillers because she injured herself in practice before the free skate? Why is it only propaganda when Daniil mentions Alina chemical burn during the gala commentary? It was a crazy freak injury.

This.
No one question about Zhenya and her injuries but if Alina coaching team refer to the media about her struggles, Osgood-Schlatter, chemical burn and so on “hey but she skated in the gala so everything is alright” or “this is only an excuse for justify her defeat (for example at the GPF)”.
All the skaters in their competitive life suffer in psychologically and physically terms, more or less, but rarely someone questioned their words. But Alina no...she’s fine every time. That’s only propaganda...I don’t understand 🙃

Finley

Record Breaker
This.
No one question about Zhenya and her injuries but if Alina coaching team refer to the media about her struggles, Osgood-Schlatter, chemical burn and so on “hey but she skated in the gala so everything is alright” or “this is only an excuse for justify her defeat (for example at the GPF)”.
All the skaters in their competitive life suffer in psychologically and physically terms, more or less, but rarely someone questioned their words. But Alina no...she’s fine every time. That’s only propaganda...I don’t understand ��

Other skaters are inspirational for overcoming their difficulties and challenges and facing insurmountable obstacles. Or (if you like said skater) they are being open and honest about their problems in the hope that it will help others who might be dealing with same issues!

If it's Alina, it's an attempt at a cover up or some kind of bizarre manipulation. (She has more tape on her knees!) Remember the conspiracy theory when she didn't get to go to Bratislava because of her travel documents and switched to Nebelhorn?

Good times.

Finley

Record Breaker
Alina is a victim of the society: coaches, other figure skaters retired or not, sport commentators, other figure skaters' fans. Didnt you know that?��

Good thing she uses it as motivation :dev2: All the way to the World Championship Gold. :devil:

Hopefully they will keep it up until Beijing. Come on, guys! We are counting on you! :laugh2:

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Good thing she uses it as motivation :dev2: All the way to the World Championship Gold. :devil:

Hopefully they will keep it up until Beijing. Come on, guys! We are counting on you! :laugh2:

To their "NO" Alina will respond with her "DAAA" on the ice :laugh:

lesnar001

Record Breaker
I think this team is so full of BS. If this was a reverse psychology trick to get Alina to train, why was it made public? There was something every single competition. A trip, an injury, a possible withdrawal.

Amazing.

Yet another post that questions Alina's integrity.

Yes - there WAS something every competition....
A Gold Medal (Nebelhorn)
Another Gold Medal (Finland)
Another Gold Medal (Russia)
A Silver Medal (GPF)
A 5th place finish (Russian Nationals)
Another Silver Medal (Europeans)
And finally the cherry on the sundae - A Gold Medal at the World Championships by quite a large margin.

PS - there was also the 2 highest FS scores AND the 2 highest overall scores during the season.
And a few 80+ SP scores as well.

pearly

Record Breaker
Amazing.

Yet another post that questions Alina's integrity.

Yes - there WAS something every competition....
A Gold Medal (Nebelhorn)
Another Gold Medal (Finland)
Another Gold Medal (Russia)
A Silver Medal (GPF)
A 5th place finish (Russian Nationals)
Another Silver Medal (Europeans)
And finally the cherry on the sundae - A Gold Medal at the World Championships by quite a large margin.

PS - there was also the 2 highest FS scores AND the 2 highest overall scores during the season.
And a few 80+ SP scores as well.

Who's talking about Alina?

zounger

Medalist
Who's talking about Alina?

Yes, you are talking about her team, everyone loves Alina anyway. But you are accusing someone that they are BS and some quite strong words like propaganda. Do they have a youtube channel and influencing people around the world by changing their minds and spreading wrong info?

I think this team is so full of BS. If this was a reverse psychology trick to get Alina to train, why was it made public? There was something every single competition. A trip, an injury, a possible withdrawal.

I wont expand in every comma, I don't have the time, but in the first about the trip. So, do you think Ted Barton is part of this propaganda and BS?

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Although some outspoken posters have already disappeared from GS negative stuff won't go. Some people are unhappy that Eteri's school dominates the ladies figure skating and is likely to continue this domination in the foreseeable future. What else is left to them - just complain about the things unrelated to actual results.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
BTW, I'm rising my voice to support Orlov, he did the good thing by translating the interview and he did the right thing when he defended Daniil against desinterpretatin (in fact against direct attack, that somehow was allowed here).

pearly

Record Breaker
Daniil. And Daniil's words are matching Alina's own words.

And I am talking about his interview and the statements coming from the team. The skaters they have are precious and their results are amazing. It is possible to be in awe of both the athletes and their achievements and yet have different opinions about what happens in practice and what is fed to the public. Y'all just enjoy the Kool aid.

Sugar Coated

Final Flight
I have so much respect for Alina and all she’s accomplished. That said, it’s a known psychological principle that when you are under a lot of pressure you start to look for reasons to explain defeat before the competition. They describe this in the book Brave Athlete.

I think Alina was under an enormous an enormous amount of pressure after winning the Olympics but also ending with a disappointing worlds. Then there was the whole Zhenya debacle that added another element. I don’t think she’s making things up or creating drama, just feeling pressure and potentially looking to reasons that could explain defeat (tripped over a cable or chemical burn - not that these weee not true but maybe emphasizing them in ones mind) because it helps take a bit of pressure off. She’s 16. Being thrust into the spotlights with huge expectations, I hope that the team addresses the psychological needs of their athletes. Although whatever they did for prepping her for Worlds seemed to have worked.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Gleikhengauz as the artist in #TeamTutberidzeForProgress is more prone to be attacked than the manager Eteri Georgiyevna or the technician Sergey.
His work with the skaters defines for a very large part the emotional impact of a routine on you, me or any other spectator.

I find little wrong in how they dealt with Zagitova’s situation or how they communicated about it. No matter their explanation, some parties will always find a reason to attack them.

Gleikhengauz himself wrote in an interview the viciousness of some attacks made everybody uncomfortable. So #TeamTutberidzeForProgress resorted to silence in the press and on their social media.

With three or more top prospects jumping into the spotlights and full scrutiny of the whole FS world next season, the attention directed towards both the skaters and their trainers will increase manifold.

So I expect Khrustalniy to maintain relative silence and let their results speak for themselves, which might deprive us fans of some nice inside information but which will give the skaters and staff a calmer state of mind.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
I have so much respect for Alina and all she’s accomplished. That said, it’s a known psychological principle that when you are under a lot of pressure you start to look for reasons to explain defeat before the competition. They describe this in the book Brave Athlete.

I think Alina was under an enormous an enormous amount of pressure after winning the Olympics but also ending with a disappointing worlds. Then there was the whole Zhenya debacle that added another element. I don’t think she’s making things up or creating drama, just feeling pressure and potentially looking to reasons that could explain defeat (tripped over a cable or chemical burn - not that these weee not true but maybe emphasizing them in ones mind) because it helps take a bit of pressure off. She’s 16. Being thrust into the spotlights with huge expectations, I hope that the team addresses the psychological needs of their athletes. Although whatever they did for prepping her for Worlds seemed to have worked.

Maybe in the book Brave Athlete they describe this but Alina did not look for anything. Tripping ovec cable - announced by Ted Barton. Chemical burns - pictures released long after it happened (even only after world championship victory). Alina has never said a word of complaint, nor her team, they only confirmed if such thigng were published by third party if anything. They also did not say a word about that Alina was forced to skate before Rusfed control board, even if her skate was complete success.

So, in what way this is "looking for reasons" from her side or from the side of her team? You are crediting something to her which wasn't done by her at all.

Finley

Record Breaker

Alina never brought these things up. Not once. Other people brought them up. She was asked in a press conference after the competition about her ankle. She answered. She never claimed or even implied that it affected her performance. Daniil was the one who mentioned the burn on the air during the gala at Rus Nats. Nothing else was said about it until after the season was over. I think the reason Alina gave permission for that photo to be posted after the season was done because she knew people had publicly voiced their doubts about it. Just like they publicly voiced their skepticism over the TV cable incident which prompted Tim Koleto to defend her on twitter. Just like they publicly voiced their disbelief when she wasn't able to travel to Bratislava and ended up competing at Nebelhorn instead.

I have no idea what is going on in her mind, but I haven't seen her "looking for reasons to explain defeat". (I'm basing this on her public statements to media.) She wouldn't have to look. She has an obvious reason, clear to anyone that can see, that no one can deny. In the beginning of the season at every press conference the media kept asking her about how much she had grown. I think she answered a few times about changing things and making the necessary adjustments and then finally (after the third press conference of this same set of questions) lost patience and told them - 'yes, I've grown. People grow. It happens.' She was clearly done talking about it. I don't blame her.

If memory serves, that put an end to it. (At the next press conference they had moved on to ankle injuries caused by TV cables.) If she wanted an excuse for her less than perfect performances or her silver medal podium finishes, it was right there. Already in play. A perfect excuse. Robin Cousins acknowledged it in his commentary for BBC during her WC FS when he talked about growth throwing off a technique. I'm really glad he did. But I don't think Alina would have been able to win Worlds if she had given herself an excuse not to. I hope that makes sense.

I agree with you about the enormous pressure. I also hope her psychological needs are addressed. I 100% agree with you that she was in her best shape, physically and emotionally, for Worlds.

Finley

Record Breaker
Maybe in the book Brave Athlete they describe this but Alina did not look for anything. Tripping ovec cable - announced by Ted Barton. Chemical burns - pictures released long after it happened (even only after world championship victory). Alina has never said a word of complaint, nor her team, they only confirmed if such thigng were published by third party if anything. They also did not say a word about that Alina was forced to skate before Rusfed control board, even if her skate was complete success.

So, in what way this is "looking for reasons" from her side or from the side of her team? You are crediting something to her which wasn't done by her at all.

Sometimes I think we share a brain.