Russia selects slate for world team | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Russia selects slate for world team

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
I wonder how free the shuffling can be once a list of entries is submitted. Can they just replace a main entry with a substitute without justification necessary like it happens in the Junior GP circuit, or can changes only be made due to special circumstances like injuries?

nope. National Feds don't have to give a reason for switching the skaters on national team. No "injury excuses" are needed.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Obviously this delay is very difficult for the 5 skaters who might still be selected for worlds. It is not fair for them. They must all be upset and nervous. I can understand why fans are so upset. However, figure skaters are used to this. Figure skating, as a sport, is frequently not fair. Skaters have no control of whether a federation favors them or a judging panel scores them fairly. It sucks but it is good training for life which is also not fair.

On the other hand the decision the Rusfed faces has no easy task because each of these skaters has points in their favor and against them. I would not want to be the one making this decision. There is no perfect solution. Unlike 2015-2018 when Russia had a clear frontrunner who won senior nationals ( Liza 2015), (Evgenia 2016,2017), Alina ( 2018). There is no lady who is seemingly assured a place on the WC podium. This means they need to think about who is most likely to get them 3 spots. I can see why they want to delay this decision. But, I am not sure more time will make this decision any clearer.

I wouldn't say there aren't sure bets for the podium - after all Russia has the GPF silver and bronze medalists from this season and the European gold and silver medalists (scores aside). That's not exactly chump change.

lzxnl

Final Flight
I wouldn't say there aren't sure bets for the podium - after all Russia has the GPF silver and bronze medalists from this season and the European gold and silver medalists (scores aside). That's not exactly chump change.

In the Russian ladies, it's quite hard to say who's a sure bet for the podium. The only lady overall I'd say is a sure bet for the podium is Rika, to be honest, because she doesn't bomb and she has enough BV to be permitted a few mistakes. I did a calculation on another page where if she didn't do any 3As, she'd still be hard to beat. Keep in mind that there are seven ladies who would be in serious medal contention: Rika, Kaori, Satoko, Alina, Sofia, Liza/Evgenia, Lilbet. Medal contention realistically means 210+, maybe even 215+.

Alina: produce something like her last two outings and she's off the podium, and this is a very real possibility as it's happened twice in a row. A sub 200 score is quite beatable by the penultimate group of skaters too.
Sofia: her scores are consistent, but they're just not high enough for a medal to be in her hands. Rika, Alina, Liza, Kaori, Satoko can all beat her SB fairly comfortably (if no one bombs). Lilbet can too if she lands her 4S.
Liza: her 3As have been really hit and miss; when they're clean, they're glorious, getting her 9-10 points, but when she misses them, and she misses more 3As than Rika, they're UR and worth about 5, which is close to the value of a good 2A. Without the advantage from 3As, her PCS isn't enough to guarantee her a podium finish, so she's not a lock. And, of course, we don't know how much her pneumonia will affect her performance. There is uncertainty.
Evgenia: we haven't seen two clean skates from her yet, and there's obviously too much uncertainty.

I'm not even going to talk about Stasya. She hasn't even scored above 200 yet this season.

readernick

Medalist
In the Russian ladies, it's quite hard to say who's a sure bet for the podium. The only lady overall I'd say is a sure bet for the podium is Rika, to be honest, because she doesn't bomb and she has enough BV to be permitted a few mistakes. I did a calculation on another page where if she didn't do any 3As, she'd still be hard to beat. Keep in mind that there are seven ladies who would be in serious medal contention: Rika, Kaori, Satoko, Alina, Sofia, Liza/Evgenia, Lilbet. Medal contention realistically means 210+, maybe even 215+.

Alina: produce something like her last two outings and she's off the podium, and this is a very real possibility as it's happened twice in a row. A sub 200 score is quite beatable by the penultimate group of skaters too.
Sofia: her scores are consistent, but they're just not high enough for a medal to be in her hands. Rika, Alina, Liza, Kaori, Satoko can all beat her SB fairly comfortably (if no one bombs). Lilbet can too if she lands her 4S.
Liza: her 3As have been really hit and miss; when they're clean, they're glorious, getting her 9-10 points, but when she misses them, and she misses more 3As than Rika, they're UR and worth about 5, which is close to the value of a good 2A. Without the advantage from 3As, her PCS isn't enough to guarantee her a podium finish, so she's not a lock. And, of course, we don't know how much her pneumonia will affect her performance. There is uncertainty.
Evgenia: we haven't seen two clean skates from her yet, and there's obviously too much uncertainty.

I'm not even going to talk about Stasya. She hasn't even scored above 200 yet this season.

Yes, this is what I meant. Certainly, the Russian ladies could medal. But, there is no one skater who seems to be guarenteed a medal and it is completely possible that none of them medal given recent performances. Of course, I want everyone to skate to their full potential but recent competitions suggests not all of them will. There is no one sure bet.

pearly

Record Breaker
Russia has now actually selected their team:

L:
Sofya Samodurova
Alina Zagitova
Evgenia Medvedeva
Alt: Elizaveta Tuktamysheva, Stanislava Konstantinova

M:
Alexander Samarin
Maxim Kovtun
Mikhail Kolyada
Alt:Andrey Lazukin, Dmitry Aliev, Sergey Voronov

P:
Evgenia Tarasova - Vladimir Morozov
Natalia Zabiyako - Alexander Enbert
Alexandra Boykova - Dmitry Kozlovsky

Ice dance:
Alexandra Stepanova - Ivan Bukin
Victoria Sinitsina - Nikita Katsalapov

https://fsrussia.ru/news/4271-ispol...rnoj-rossii-na-chempionat-mira-v-yaponii.html

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Without Liza there is a clear chance that no Russian ends up on the podium.

Now that my favourite is out and Kostner WD, i'll probably root for Elizabet Tursynbaeva.

What it's even funnier is that TAT pushed so hard Kovtun for World despite the meltdown at the Europeans, it's probably going to be another splatfest as Goncharenko already pointed out that he should train more than what he's doing.

readernick

Medalist
There was no good result to be had. Either way someone was going to be hurt. I am such a fan of both Med and Liza. It is so sad they both can’t go to Worlds. I thought they would choose Liza but Russia fed always tends to ignore the GP events when making selections.(see Voronov every year) I hope Med has at great skate at Worlds. I hope Liza keeps working and fighting!

composer

On the Ice
I hope all the Russian ladies bring it at Worlds.
I find both Evgenia and Liza to be compelling figures, so the people I really feel for are the committee who had to choose between them...

Roast Toast

Medalist
I'm assuming they told Mishin to pick between Liza and Sofia. What a mess.

The only way I can rationalize their decision is that they had a very, very pessimistic outlook about their ladies' performances. It's true that if Medo bombs she will score higher than if Liza bombs, because she still has a very large PCS and GOE cushion, while Liza only scores high if she lands her 3A. But I would still expect the fed to pick skaters based on the assumption that they won't bomb... Liza has actually scored 210+ internationally this season and has beaten Kaori and Satoko already. w/e

evasorange

Final Flight
What more could Liza have done to prove her self this season seriously? Not gotten pneumonia?? It’s so unfair! She more then proved herself this season. In most everyone’s eyes Rika is the one to beat at worlds, mostly because of her ability to do triple axels. So why do you then keep your only skater who is also able to do them home?? In favor of a skater who has been struggling all season? It makes zero sense. This is why Evegnia can get so much hate she is given some of the most generous scores and calls then almost any other skater. It’s not her fault personally and it’s not right but she didn’t earn this by results. She earned it by name.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Russia has now actually selected their team:

L:
Sofya Samodurova
Alina Zagitova
Evgenia Medvedeva
Alt: Elizaveta Tuktamysheva, Stanislava Konstantinova

M:
Alexander Samarin
Maxim Kovtun
Mikhail Kolyada
Alt:Andrey Lazukin, Dmitry Aliev, Sergey Voronov

P:
Evgenia Tarasova - Vladimir Morozov
Natalia Zabiyako - Alexander Enbert
Alexandra Boykova - Dmitry Kozlovsky

Ice dance:
Alexandra Stepanova - Ivan Bukin
Victoria Sinitsina - Nikita Katsalapov

https://fsrussia.ru/news/4271-ispol...rnoj-rossii-na-chempionat-mira-v-yaponii.html

My happiness just intensified after I saw the news about the ladies’ swap. I do adore Medvedeva... my god, it would be the Worlds to watch. Can’t wait!

lady_bee

Medalist
Even though I wanted Liza and Evgenia to go the world, I feel really sorry for Konstantinova. How cruel:noshake:

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I think the RusFed made the decision based on the fact Evgenia is skating better but also her reputation. PCS wise she will score higher than Liza and most of the field if she skates well. However, I think this is a gamble that may or may not pay off. Evgenia is skating better but she is not a sure-thing top 5 bet like in the past. Some of her jumps are borderline and she's not 100% yet. If she skates well she has a great shot at the podium but if not, she could fall out of the top 5. Same thing for Alina: she could win or finish outside of the top 5. Don't forget last year Alina and Maria only just held on to Russia's 3rd spot finishing with the bare minimum combined 13 (5th and 8th). Both Evgenia or Alina have question marks over their heads coming into this.

Sofia's consistency has been amazing this season so I'm not worried about her. She will be slightly hampered by lower PCS but I expect a top 6 placement from her.

I feel like Liza was a safer bet than Evgenia. There are weaker areas of her skating but based on her jumps and her consistency this season, I think she was a clear top 5 finisher. I am happy for Evgenia but I don't think the RusFed made the fair decision. They know how popular Evgenia is not only in Russia but in Japan as well. Her reputation will factor into her scoring whether she skates well or not. Even so that puts a ton of pressure on Evgenia to do well.

twirlingblades

Medalist
What more could Liza have done to prove her self this season seriously? Not gotten pneumonia?? It’s so unfair! She more then proved herself this season. In most everyone’s eyes Rika is the one to beat at worlds, mostly because of her ability to do triple axels. So why do you then keep your only skater who is also able to do them home?? In favor of a skater who has been struggling all season? It makes zero sense. This is why Evegnia can get so much hate she is given some of the most generous scores and calls then almost any other skater. It’s not her fault personally and it’s not right but she didn’t earn this by results. She earned it by name.

I love Liza, but she just doesn’t have the GOE and PCS potential (besides GOE on jumps) that Evgenia has.

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
This choice is beyond ridiculous, and I'm furious for Liza. Why even bother trying at all????? Russia may lose three spots because of this and I won't feel sorry at all if they do. There would have been nothing wrong with Evgenia staying home for a year :dev2:

Danibellerika

Medalist
This choice is beyond ridiculous, and I'm furious for Liza. Why even bother trying at all????? Russia may lose three spots because of this and I won't feel sorry at all if they do. There would have been nothing wrong with Evgenia staying home for a year :dev2:

I would. I need them to keep 3 to help Alena's chances next year.