Russia selects slate for world team | Golden Skate

Russia selects slate for world team

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Well I must say this is a bit shocking .. I am not sure what the point of having Evgenia and Liza in this Russian Cup Finals event was if they were not going to select them.. Placing gold and silver with quite solid scores.. They both are left off the world team??. I figured Samodurova was a lock but not Alina and Stanislava..Here is what the selection currently is. I thought Evgenias Cup Final performance definitely puts her on the world team..shes clearly much stronger than she was at start of the year and I figured Liza would likely be on that team too since she was at GP Final and has been pretty consistent all year.

Russian Worlds team:
Konstantinova/Samodurova/Zagitova
Alt: Tuktamysheva/Medvedeva

Kolyada/Kovtun/Samarin
Alt: Aliev/Lazukin/Voronov

Boikova/Kozlovskii, Tarasova/Morozov, Zabiiako/Enbert
Alt: Pavliuchenko/Khodykin, Mishina/Galliamov

Dance: Sinitsina/Katsalapov, Stepanova/Bukin

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I honestly.. dont even understand it.. I dont even know what else to say hahaha.

IndiaP12

iliabot wakabot gumennikbot team korea stan
Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Guys, chill - the federation wasn’t able to make a clear decision in time so they entered the euros team. They will possibly change it.

sailormoon

On the Ice
Country
Japan
The President of the Russian Figure Skating Federation, Alexander Gorshkov, said: “After the Russian Cup Final, there was practically no time for a detailed discussion of the composition of the national team by the coaching council and its approval by the executive committee of the Russian Figure Skating Federation. ISU allows us to make possible changes in the starting lineup before the start of the World Championships."

IndiaP12

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Russia selects world team

But I did think they’d at least be sane enough to not send Stanislava despite her being on the euros team (which was a mistaken choice too) and she didn’t have a very strong free skate at Cup of Russia

rachno2

Record Breaker
Guys, chill. They couldn’t make a decision by the deadline, so they just copied and pasted the European team selection and submitted it.

IndiaP12

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
The men’s team isn’t very good either. Kolyada and Kovtun were clearly not in the best state at euros (Kovtun got like 120 in the free) and Kolyada just had a 6-deduction free skate at TallinK cup...I would put Lazukin, Samarin, and as much as I want Misha to be on the team, idk

Artemisa

Final Flight
Ladies .... Like always Konstantinova gets a spot .... No wins .. bad result in euros ... But it's Konstantinova ...:popcorn:
Men: ... I want voronov in the team .... I want a russian men that can jump and not just fall in every program .... With lucky russia will have next year 2 spots
Pairs and Dance: Good choice ... the most easy choice

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The President of the Russian Figure Skating Federation, Alexander Gorshkov, said: “After the Russian Cup Final, there was practically no time for a detailed discussion of the composition of the national team by the coaching council and its approval by the executive committee of the Russian Figure Skating Federation. ISU allows us to make possible changes in the starting lineup before the start of the World Championships."

Well if this is true that's more of a relief, but honestly? Why not put Liza in and then change it, although they shouldn't.

If I was Liza I'd be so upset...

VenusHalley

Final Flight
So they really want a big drama of 3A, Alina, Zhenya, possibly Liza and Sofia fighting for two spots next year, don't they?

This seems unnecesary cruel and dramatic. All ladies will just stress, which will interfere with their trainings... and those who will eventually not go will just train needlessly instead of taking a deserved break.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
It's ironic how the current alternates for ladies have a better chance of getting on the podium/ 3 spots for next year between the two of them than the stated entries themselves. Sofia is reliable and could have a shot at bronze but the other two in their recent state could finish lower than last year's 5th and 19th, Alina with a silver lining at Euros but missing the 200 mark with an abundance of unresolved issues while Stanislava has had every ISU championship chance and doesn't deserve another following Euros. Hopefully, the Fed has a big change of heart and revises the World team to Liza, Med, Sofia.

LRK

Record Breaker
I'll go and read the discussion on the Russian ladies thread later, but for the nonce I just want to say… I just came home and found out via Jackie Wong's twitter what "decision" has been made.

I don't want Stasya to go - not because I dislike her (I don't) - but because I think there are far better choices. But I also think that it is needlessly cruel to announce her name, and then (almost certainly) yank it all away from her. And I think sending her would be even worse. This is just a lose-lose scenario.

I think that if they hadn't the time, they should have found the time. It's not like the various times and deadlines were unknown to them. They should have planned better. I think this terribly unfair to all the ladies concerned. That's all. And now I'll go and see what others have to say, but I don't think I have anything more to add myself. What's the use?

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Omg, Zabiyako & Enbert! Yay! I was keeping fingers crossed I will see them in the Worlds! And, Alina :) weeeee!

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I'll go and read the discussion on the Russian ladies thread later, but for the nonce I just want to say… I just came home and found out via Jackie Wong's twitter what "decision" has been made.

I don't want Stasya to go - not because I dislike her (I don't) - but because I think there are far better choices. But I also think that it is needlessly cruel to announce her name, and then (almost certainly) yank it all away from her. And I think sending her would be even worse. This is just a lose-lose scenario.

I think that if they hadn't the time, they should have found the time. It's not like the various times and deadlines were unknown to them. They should have planned better. I think this terribly unfair to all the ladies concerned. That's all. And now I'll go and see what others have to say, but I don't think I have anything more to add myself. What's the use?

I don't think it's that cruel, since I'm sure she knows that she's a placeholder and likely won't be the one to go. But I agree it's unnecessary.

I have to say, if the only reason the Russian Federation threw in Konstantinova's name is that they can't make up their weak minds about who they really want ... well, that's pitiful. :(

Globetrotter

Medalist
Beneath all the Russian drama, the common underlying theme appears that the World spots are simply to be filled with their preferred placeholders to ensure the spots remain Russian next year. Never mind that the 3 skaters sent to defend the spots are individuals with real human needs. Never mind as there are plenty of other placeholders available.

No wonder Liza Tuks is tired - probably mentally drained rather than physically. AFAIK, such flip flopping decisions and switching out cannot be good for ensuring the skaters are in mentally fighting stage when competition starts. It’s a classical leadership failure situation.