ISU Statement on Bell and Lim | Page 2 | Golden Skate

ISU Statement on Bell and Lim

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Whatever the truth here turns out to be, it's kind of a good reminder to do your best to keep good relationships and be civil towards the people around you, and try to assume good intent from them, even if you're not crazy about them. Then if something goes wrong where you could be accused to be at fault, it's more likely you'll get the benefit of the doubt.

That’s a good life lesson out of all of this.

As someone who has had to deal with racists a number of times throughout my life I have to say I fail to see the racist element in all this. Even in the reaction it’s only right now that officials have gotten involved so I can understand why some might have been sceptical at first when we might have had multiple articles but only one source; All That Skate Eunsoo’s agency.

We owe it to both these skaters to try not to raise the pressure and allow the investigators to look into this. With so many people at the official practice I’m sure we won’t have to wait long.

I’d also ask a lot of sympathy for Eunsoo, who’s been put in an awful situation here, and Mariah and all their rink mates who must be quite distressed right now. Even if in the best case scenario this is a misunderstanding there’s at least one relationship here that might be irreparably broken.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
I mean I saw a tweet yesterday from all kpop that said “Figure skater Lim Eun Soo injured after competitor Mariah Bell stabbed her with skate blades” so yeah some Korean media is being very sensational and over the top

Tbf this may be a translation error. Translators lose all nuance.

Plisskin

Medalist
If it's true Mariah should face punishment. If not, then Mariah should seek legal action because her character is being dragged in the mud and she's being harassed online by Korean fans. Still waiting for all the facts before I believe anyone though. Cases like Jussie Smollett's should have taught everyone to always withhold judgement until the facts are in when things look like one way or the other.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Either way this goes, it's going to do irreparable damage. If the allegations are true, then yes, there should be repercussions and it will be likely that Bell will need to apologize (or perhaps be brought under assault charges or something if she indeed did this deliberately). I highly doubt that any collision between skaters is intentional during practices given the chance of grievous harm to both skaters and the fact that it's in full view of everyone at the rink. On a similar note, I don't think Guarise intentionally slammed into Vanessa James during the warm-up, but we don't have a huge report about anyone asking that Guarise officially apologize. Accidents happen all the time on the ice. As far the bullying, who knows, but I need a bit more evidence to come to any conclusion about bullying - not sure if Eunsoo or Bell will say anything about this (Raf has and he has denied it).

But even if the ISU finds no evidence of bullying and essentially assault, the implication will linger and there will be sustained tension between Lim and Bell for as long as they remain under Raf's tutelage. Every perceived slight between the two will become elevated and be a cause for a national headline. Even if Bell is exonerated, I would bet that none of the people writing death threats on her Instagram will say they are sorry or apologize (they might even double-down and say that Bell just got away with it).

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Does anyone really believe this sensational BS? I mean c'mon......I guess Mariah just risked getting injured herself and maliciously cut Lim's leg....LOL
The alternative is that Eunsoo for some reason started telling wild lies about Mariah that should be easy to disprove, blowing up her current training environment in the process, which hardly makes more sense.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The alternative is that Eunsoo for some reason started telling wild lies about Mariah that should be easy to disprove, blowing up her current training environment in the process, which hardly makes more sense.

Has Eunsoo actually said anything on the matter?

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
But even if the ISU finds no evidence of bullying and essentially assault, the implication will linger and there will be sustained tension between Lim and Bell for as long as they remain under Raf's tutelage. Every perceived slight between the two will become elevated and be a cause for a national headline.

Not if the allegations were fake, Eunsoo had nothing to do with them, and she fires whoever made them up. I'm just hoping it was something like that and there won't be any lingering conflict between two of my favorite ladies. :(

Plisskin

Medalist
I think another alternative for Eunsoo could be cultural difference/ misunderstanding which makes sense.

I wonder if a part of Eunsoo's statement she'll make, she'll announce she's also leaving Team Raf? We will see...

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Not publicly, but surely the first thing KSU would have done is actually asked her about it before they took the huge step of filing a complaint and potentially antagonizing the superpowerful USFSA. For that matter, she would presumably tell her implicitly rogue management agency to knock it off, since this would be jeopardizing her career. That she hasn’t denied all this pretty strongly indicates she’s the source of the complaint.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker

That's one thing that needs to be clarified: whether Eunsoo's management agency and spokesman is claiming this on their own or if Eunsoo and/or her guardians are having the management agency act on their behalf. I would imagine that it would be the latter, but as far as I know, neither Bell nor Eunsoo has said anything official on the minor (Eunsoo being a minor might be a part of the issue in terms of communication?).

Klarnet

On the Ice
Deliberate it was or not,it sure was a final straw for Eunsoo if they had a long lasting conflict and bullying happening. And they have witness to the conflict at the rink,that's already some evidence.

readernick

Medalist
Either way this goes, it's going to do irreparable damage. If the allegations are true, then yes, there should be repercussions and it will be likely that Bell will need to apologize (or perhaps be brought under assault charges or something if she indeed did this deliberately). I highly doubt that any collision between skaters is intentional during practices given the chance of grievous harm to both skaters and the fact that it's in full view of everyone at the rink. On a similar note, I don't think Guarise intentionally slammed into Vanessa James during the warm-up, but we don't have a huge report about anyone asking that Guarise officially apologize. Accidents happen all the time on the ice. As far the bullying, who knows, but I need a bit more evidence to come to any conclusion about bullying - not sure if Eunsoo or Bell will say anything about this (Raf has and he has denied it).

But even if the ISU finds no evidence of bullying and essentially assault, the implication will linger and there will be sustained tension between Lim and Bell for as long as they remain under Raf's tutelage. Every perceived slight between the two will become elevated and be a cause for a national headline. Even if Bell is exonerated, I would bet that none of the people writing death threats on her Instagram will say they are sorry or apologize (they might even double-down and say that Bell just got away with it).

It is really a sad incident. I really can't imagine that either of these girls have evil intent. (I can't say for sure, of course) They both seem so sweet and I love both of them. They both skate with such heart. This is just a horrible distraction for both of them. A similar thing happened when Dennis Ten and Yuzuru Hanyu almost collided in 2016. (after all they did collide in 2014)People were claiming it was intentional. I think it is highly unlikely that a skater would do this intentionally but if someone hits you and causes you harm right before the most important competition of the year, even by accident, you may feel a short-term animosity toward them. I just hope that the people around Eunsoo are not trying to capitalize on this problem. Rafael has already stated that he was not aware of any bullying going on at the rink. He is someone who should know but it is possible that cultural misunderstanding and bad communication caused a less than ideal relationship which could cause very negative emotions if an accident occured.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Not if the allegations were fake, Eunsoo had nothing to do with them, and she fires whoever made them up. I'm just hoping it was something like that and there won't be any lingering conflict between two of my favorite ladies. :(

The trouble is that it's hard to prove that an allegation is fake. All the ISU investigation can say in Mariah's defense would be that they find no evidence of maleficence or bullying, but for those who already believe the allegation will just claim that the ISU wasn't thorough enough and/or that Bell just got away it and/or she's still a #racist and/or Rafael is a terrible coach for allowing this to continue, etc. etc. That said, Eunsoo firing the agency if the allegations are false would help ease the tensions, one would hope.

Plisskin

Medalist
It's on the Washington Post now and KFed says they can't tell if Mariah did it on purpose from the video:
: https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...petitor/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.89208f4243b4

“At this stage, we can’t conclude Bell caused the injury on purpose,” a Korea Skating Union official said, adding that Lim’s parents also mentioned the incident to the ISU. “It is hard to tell just by watching the video footage of the incident.”