2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 391 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
I thought Evgenia was very elegant. I think the costume looks great on her too, it highlights the program really well and her long lines. I really love this program for her- I think it captures what was good about her skating in the past as well as her maturity and growth.

The problem is now I want to see everyone else skate too- this is the worst, when the season is just starting. I’ve been in skating deprivation too long!

You don't have to wait too long. Tomorrow we have 6 more Russian girls to look forward to. Valieva, Sinitsyna, Vasilieva, Shcherbakova, Tuktamysheva, Samodurova. Have your popcorn and coffee ready.:popcorn::coffee:

Haikush

On the Ice
Seriously though, can you imagine Eteri letting Evgenia step on the ice dressed like that? :confused2:

What were they thinking?

Who the hell cares what Eteri thinks or says? She is not her couach anymore and the costume is amazing

bubblecherry

Final Flight
I can't believe you are debating Zhenya's outfit. To be honest, I didn't even notice it...I was concentrating on the skating - and she was really really good today!!

She got an ! on the Lutz and it didn't hurt scorewise. But why did she only get level 3 on the first spin?
Interesting that she got 2 points more in PCS than Kihira. That can easily translate to ~5 points in the long. If Kihira misses one of her 3A's tomorrow, Zhenya can beat her.

Zhenya is a fighter. Great skate.

I'm glad she was able to put out a clean performance with an effortless 3F3T (seriously don't think it's looked this good since her last Gold at Worlds) and solid improvements on 2A and 3Lz. I knew she had it in her at the test skates but I'm glad she was able to convince at least some others as well ;) Hopefully her free skate can go as well, too, but don't forget she said her technique and skating is improved & feels good but she still needs to work physically, so let's not expect too much too soon :) Regardless, 3 points away from the lead and 15 points ahead of 3rd place is a great place to be.

silveruskate

On the Ice
Ending the costume discussion. I think it's very refreshing to see a clean performance from Evgenia so soon with a SP score higher than anything received in international competition last year! We had to wait much much much longer last season for a result like this.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Ending the costume discussion. I think it's very refreshing to see a clean performance from Evgenia so soon with a SP score higher than anything received in international competition last year! We had to wait much much much longer last season for a result like this.

You're right! I realise now that she didn't even score that much at Worlds. Looking good.

Amei

Record Breaker
Seriously though, can you imagine Eteri letting Evgenia step on the ice dressed like that? :confused2:

What were they thinking?

Eteri "let" Yulia get on the ice in this dress of course if I remember correctly at this point there had already been speculation that Yulia wanted to leave or was going to leave - Eteri might've been done with her at that point.

Of course, like I said anything is possible. But the odds have increased. Even last season it was a debate between Evgenia and Liza, and Liza was the only one with a 3A. By 2022 given the current skaters, there could be 5, which ups the odds. And of course Alina and Evgena could learn quads as well, so could Kostornaia, Usacheva, etc. That's why I said with the information we have currently. Why is it so difficult to acknowledge that the quadsters have an advantage?

Because that would be acknowledging Zagitova has a technical disadvantage and she and her coaching team have put her in the same position that Evgenia was in 2018 - they watched a couple of junior girls train more difficult elements and from what we can see (and this is a group that appears to love to post on instagram their difficult jumps) hasn't done much in the way of training elements to match those Jr girls. Now those Jr. girls are seniors and she's got to play catch-up. The benefits she has over Evgenia is that she's 2 years out from the Olympics so she can possibly train quads and/or a triple axel and hopefully overcome any injuries that she might get trying to train the elements, whereas Evgenia it was an Olympic year she had to attempt to play the points game that Alina had. Additionally she has the benefit that she' been to and won the Olympics - it might be a bit of stain on her career for the talking heads and internet forums to talk about if she never makes it to another major competition again, but she's won everything at the end of the day; she could retire today with an incredibly successful senior career.

noraaa

Rinkside
I thought Zhenya should have been above Rika. I felt nothing watching Rika's program.

Talking TES only, Rika absolutely had the right advantage. As much as I love Zhenya she does not have the technical score to best a clean Rika right now. I thought the PCS fairly apportioned. Both ladies felt a little tentative today but I would expect both to improve rapidly as the season begins in earnest.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Don't need to be rude to defend Evgenia. Direct your discontent towards the offensive posters here, Eteri didn't said anything about this suit:slink:

I'm not defending Evgenia, not her fan, haven't said a word about her costume and actually haven't even seen it yet (juggling priorities here). have seen some of Eteri's girls in previous years and they are too often arch and affected, but it's clear the target audience and the judges like arch and affected on prepubescent girls, so she's doing okay by them.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
I thought Zhenya should have been above Rika. I felt nothing watching Rika's program.

The problem with the Ladies skating today is that the TES score is in average 15% higher than the PCS score in ladies short programs. TES vs PCS should be 50-50. It's not. Add to that, 20% of the PCS, SS and Transitions, are in fact technical scores in my opinion. So there is just 20-30% of the score left for Performance, Interpretation, Composition.

You can't beat someone with a good performance if it just counts 20-30% against a technical skater.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
I thought Rika deserved the first place due to the 3A, but i really liked Evgenia's SP, choreography maybe more. (it's growing on me and the costume works for that music)

Karen Chen a little underscored in my opinion.

Do we have protocols from Autumn Classic? i can't find them on ISU or Skate Canada website.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker

I loved Medvedeva and Kihira's performances today. The result was fair although I think Rika deserved better SS and TR marks. But, on the performance side Evgenia was definitely better.

The protocols are here: https://skatecanada.ca/2019-autumn-classic-international/

I use Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Figure_skating_season

They have all competitions listed and the scores too. Easy to follow.

Thanks!

Seruleane

Final Flight
I fully support Evgenia wearing a body suit! I think it makes her look sleek and elegant, and it fits well with the program. Her SP is one of my favorites this year. I did not realize Buttle did the step sequence- it is gorgeous!

moriel

Record Breaker
The suit was pretty nice, imho, if it wasnt for that weird pieces of cloth (Valieva has that issue in her free this season too, and Hanyu usually does at a lot always).
Kind of hope they change it and leave just the suit.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Sometimes I think people are watching figure skating just to appreciate the dresses, the makeup, the hairdo, the beauty (or the lack thereof).

And that's alright.

What I don't understand is why this is discussed here.

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
Every time I wander into this thread to hear thoughts/share my opinions on someone's programs or performances, it seems like some awful comments are being made that make me want to run the other way from this entire sport.

Anyway - I'm liking this SP for Evgenia. She's not totally committing to the performance yet but I'm hoping that comes with time and consistency (fingers crossed!). I've been wanting her to take more of this kind of route since her Olympic season Chopin SP, which I loved for its simplicity and beauty and her ability to communicate that.