2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 394 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

zounger

Medalist
It bothered me too, I’m almost unhappy that Chelyabinsk almost sold out completely...
All figure skating fans (especially those from test skates) need to learn how to behave from the Japanese crowd. Japanese audiences are the best of the best, hands down.

There is always a risk in so much audience, specially when the audience is not so "trained" in events like figure skating. The air clapping bags or whatever they called was foul too. But it has it's pros as well. There are skaters from "small" federations that will probably never compete under 5-6 thousand people, so imagine to be a kid and have that experience. In the psychology of this kid , who at the age of 13-15 travels around the world to some probably "exotic" for her/him place like Russia (and other countries) performs under a big crowd creates very picturesque memories.

Kittosuni

Medalist
It bothered me too, I’m almost unhappy that Chelyabinsk almost sold out completely...
All figure skating fans (especially those from test skates) need to learn how to behave from the Japanese crowd. Japanese audiences are the best of the best, hands down.

My local rink does a distraction run through exercises. That includes artificial noises, music getting cut, music getting muffled and no music at all but have to finish at the last mark. This does not even include the crowded rink during practices and constant musics getting played. There are also skaters who trains in a public rink at the middle of a mall so imagine the level of distraction they get.

If a skater is getting bothered about loud cheers or rowdy crowd well she better succk it up. it will get worse if she wants to go to the olympics. its just part of the sport. In fact the more head count in the audience the better.

I've been in an audience were it was packed and it definitely elevates/ changes the whole atmosphere of the competition for the better. And trust me, you want a deafening cheers from the sold out crowd rather than a deafening silence. That silence crushes you.

I have also been with some Japanese crowd and trust me they aren't always the most behave one. they clapped too. They can get rowdy too and i love that.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker

Well the fact it sold out don't bother me at all, i'd argue the opposite, this is finally the first event with a good audience, JGP events are usually empty, competition feels more like a practice session, it's so sad.

Beyond that, that's the rink where there have been Russian Nationals and Junior Nationals, skaters should get used to perform in front of a packed crowd and shouldn't blame the audience for cheering for you, they paid to see you. Maybe the problem wasn't the audience but the music being too low (let alone the piece they chose is sparse)

The only thing i'd argue is that the crowd is a bit noisy sometimes during programs not from top skaters, I recall athletes complaining about that at the Sochi Olympics too.

The announcer should remind to not speak during performances.

thatbeatingheart

On the Ice
Country
Germany
I’ve only seen Kamila’s performance so far but I also found the crowd rather annoying. It’s great that there’s so many people and because of that it’s naturally louder compared to other JGP’s but what’s up with these noise-makers and screaming DURING the skate? It wasn’t only after she completed an element but also during them and at random places. I find it disrespectful towards the skater.

But Kamila still did very well!

Last edited:

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Almost grandmasters: Russian skaters beat everyone at the GP in Chelyabinsk

CHELYABINSK, September 13 - RIA Novosti, Anatoly Samokhvalov.[/SIZE
Russian figure skaters took the entire podium according to the results of the short program at the stage of the junior Grand Prix series in Chelyabinsk.
The fourth stage of the Junior Grand Prix takes place on September 12-14 in the Chelyabinsk Ice Palace "Tractor". On Friday, 13 yearold Russian Kamila Valiyeva received 73.56 points for skating her short program and is leading with the free program still ahead. Following were her compatriots Kseniya Sinitsyna (73.04) and Viktoriya Vasilyeva (67.04).
'

Equal to 75

The winner of the first stage of the series in French Courchevel Valiyeva, training in the group of Eteri Tutberidze, and in Chelyabinsk competing under the leadership of Sergei Dudakov, worked the previous training day hard in practicing her free program, not her short one.

In the free program, as opposed to the short, in junior competitions quadruple jumps are allowed, and it was the quad Toeloop that Valiyeva and Dudakov paid special attention to. On Wednesday, it turned out well, on Thursday worse, and this debutant of international competitions performed the rest of her cascades and jumps very qualitatively, with the exception of rare failures.
Therefore, in her short program, Valiyeva did not expect problems. As a result, she steadily skated her short, and her score was close to the grandmaster 75 points.

A year ago, at one of the tournaments, the judges held 12 year old Valiyeva under 70 points, but the coaches already demanded the same 75 from the talent brought back from Kazan. Skater, which, according to many legends of figure skating like Alexander Zhulin and Arthur Dmitriev, “Were kissed on top of the head by God”, should take this bar at the next starts.
On Friday morning, there were a lot of kids in the stands of Tractor during the morning session, and therefore during the competitions there was a not very loud, but unusual for figure skating, steady vocal buzz. After a clean jump by Valiyeva the hall exploded with delight. “When I made the jump, I heard a lot of applause on the lead out, but I didn’t hear the music. I even hesitated a little. I thought: “ Where is the music? ” the figure skater admitted afterwards.

"But in general, I would like to ride more confidently, because today I was a little cautious," said Valiyeva, who on Saturday may possibly give two quad Toeloops to the grateful Chelyabinsk audience.

Sinitsyna was relaxed and rode with pleasure

Already according to the protocols of previous competitions and current trainings, it was clear that there would be almost no competition among Russians at the stage in Chelyabinsk. On Friday, Tisato Uramatsu, the closest pursuer of the Russian three, trailed to the third place with more than 3.5 points.

At the same time, two Russians filled in the gap: Valiyeva and Sinitsyna. The second was not interfered by either noise or “drumming sticks”, which fans actively wielded right during the skating rus. “No, they did not distract me, during my routine I didn't pay attention to the reaction of the audience. I thought about my program, about the elements”, the figure skater explained.
In training the day before competitions, Sinitsyna fought with jumps, made mistakes, but on Friday showed confident execution of her short program, which the honoured coach of Russia Inna Goncharenko considered the best among juniors in the season. “My program is really very well delivered, and it’s very convenient for me”, Sinitsyna confirmed, who was satisfied with the assessment.
“These are not my highest points, but the highest at the international level,” she remarked. “When I made the cascade, I relaxed and went on for my pleasure.”

Sinitsyna was supposed to perform at the second stage of the Grand Prix series among juniors in Lake Placid, but could not fly to the United States due to visa problems, after which she was announced for the tournament in Chelyabinsk. “Of course, I was upset, but I understood that I had to continue working. So it wasn’t my fate. But I came here to Chelyabinsk, to my native country, and not far from Moscow”, the pupil of Svetlana Panova and Tat'yana Moiseyeva found positive recent troubles.

Vasilyeva is ready to fight with everyone

In third place is the figure skater of Moscow CSKA Viktoriya Vasilyeva. Her 'routine was also without mistakes, but not so bright from the point of view of the second assessment. In this, she lost to Valiyeva and Sinitsyna by three points. Technically, her skating was also not as difficult as that of the athletes trained by Tutberidze and Panova.
But working with Davydov, Vasil'yeva has always been noted for reliability in her routines. “On a 10-point scale, I would give myself 7.5 points”, said the figure skater herself. “You can always fight with everyone, as long as you can just do everything well and ride for yourself and the audience.”

The top three in the strongest skaters of the Chelyabinsk stage of the Junior Grand Prix is ​​practically determined. The free program of the singles will be presented in "Tractor" on Saturday.
-----
https://rsport.ria.ru/20190913/1558652476.html

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Kostornaya and Zabiyako are the most tested ice skaters in 2019
Athletes were tested twice for doping in August.

MOSCOW, September 13. / TASS /.
The winner of the Junior Grand Prix of 2018 in individual skating Alyona Kostornaya and the bronze medalist of the 2019 World Championships in pair skating Natal'ya Zabiyako are the most tested skaters since the beginning of 2019 by Russian Anti-Doping Agency (RUSADA) . According to the documents RUSADA provided to TASS, both athletes underwent doping control twice.

Kostornaya and Zabiyako were tested for a second time for doping in August. Also, in the last month of summer andfor the first time in 2019, Dmitriy Aliyev, Jonathan Gureiro, Mikhail Kolyada, Stanislava Konstantinova, Da'ya Pavlyuchenko, Sof'ya Samodurova and Yelizaveta Tuktamysheva.

In total, in the first eight months of 2019, RUSADA checked 35 Russian skaters. This list also included Aleksandra Boykova, Ivan Bukin, Anna Frolova, Pyotr Gumennik, Nikita Katsalapov, Anastasiya Kostyuk, Dmitriy Kozlovskiy, Viktoriya Lorer, Yevgeniya Medvyedeva, Anastasiya Mishina, Apollinaria Panfilova, Yelena Radionova, Aleksander Samarin, Daniil Samsonov, Roman Savoshkin, Anna Shcherbakova, Kseniya and Viktoriya Sinitsyna, Mariya Sotskova, Aleksandra Stepanova, Kseniya Stolbova, Aleksandra Trusova, Polina Tsurskaya, Dmitriy Yalin, Anastasiya Shabotova and Tiffany Zagorsky, which were tested once.
-----
https://tass.ru/sport/6883040

LenaRadiFan

On the Ice
Kostornaya and Zabiyako are the most tested ice skaters in 2019
Athletes were tested twice for doping in August.

MOSCOW, September 13. / TASS /.
The winner of the Junior Grand Prix of 2018 in individual skating Alyona Kostornaya and the bronze medalist of the 2019 World Championships in pair skating Natal'ya Zabiyako are the most tested skaters since the beginning of 2019 by Russian Anti-Doping Agency (RUSADA) . According to the documents RUSADA provided to TASS, both athletes underwent doping control twice.

Kostornaya and Zabiyako were tested for a second time for doping in August. Also, in the last month of summer andfor the first time in 2019, Dmitriy Aliyev, Jonathan Gureiro, Mikhail Kolyada, Stanislava Konstantinova, Da'ya Pavlyuchenko, Sof'ya Samodurova and Yelizaveta Tuktamysheva.

In total, in the first eight months of 2019, RUSADA checked 35 Russian skaters. This list also included Aleksandra Boykova, Ivan Bukin, Anna Frolova, Pyotr Gumennik, Nikita Katsalapov, Anastasiya Kostyuk, Dmitriy Kozlovskiy, Viktoriya Lorer, Yevgeniya Medvyedeva, Anastasiya Mishina, Apollinaria Panfilova, Yelena Radionova, Aleksander Samarin, Daniil Samsonov, Roman Savoshkin, Anna Shcherbakova, Kseniya and Viktoriya Sinitsyna, Mariya Sotskova, Aleksandra Stepanova, Kseniya Stolbova, Aleksandra Trusova, Polina Tsurskaya, Dmitriy Yalin, Anastasiya Shabotova and Tiffany Zagorsky, which were tested once.
-----
https://tass.ru/sport/6883040
Hmmm I wonder why they also tested skater such as Polina and Elena, which didn't compete last season and I mean, haven't had any plans for this season

GS Forum Staff

Record Breaker
Please do not discuss event details until the event is over, or your post will be unapproved and you will receive a warning. The ladies' SP may only be discussed in The Edge once it is finished. Thank you.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Regardless of the video, I don’t get your outrage about slowmotion videos of jumps being posted.
Don’t care/not even trying to discuss the rotation on that jump a single bit, but what looking at jumps in slow motion has to do with trolling? Is slowing down a video trolling?
You can see it better in slow motion than in full speed, it’s just a fact, and judge for yourself whether it looks rotated or not to you.

Whatever, Mathman, but I don’t think you need to shame people by calling them trolls just because of them discussing whether something was rotated or not, and because they present a slowed down version of the video.

Taking into account that according to you absolutely nothing can show an underrotation and we should just stop discussing it altogether, you seem like a very lenient judge to me :) you never see when the blade hits the ice and all videos in the world are sketchy/phony/fake made for trolling purposes. That’s an unbeatable standpoint right there :laugh: im going to use it when I need to :laugh2:
If I want to discuss whether there should’ve been an UR or edge call, I will and it 100% never has to do anything with trolling or anything personal.
Discussing technical elements is not a crime or something horrible, that you’re trying to make it out to be.

Discussing technical elements isn’t a crime, but unless a video purporting to show a miscalled element is taken from the TP’s perspective exactly, it’s relatively meaningless. You can certainly argue that the TP should have more camera angles on replay at their disposal, but right now they don’t. So they call what they see, and hopefully apply the same standards to all the skaters they’re judging that day.

When a fan analyzes an element by freezing frames from a grainy fan cam, a livestream, or a broadcast, and then proclaims that a blind person could see in real time that the edge should have been called an e or the jump was < or <<, it often sounds to me like that person has an agenda - usually to show that there is bias or incompetence or favoritism by the TP because a skater was “clearly” under scored or over scored.

NaVi

Medalist
I personally am not a fan of the new programs Daniil has choreographed except for Zagitova's SP. Shcherbakova's SP is OK too. Shcherbakova and Kostornia's LP music choices just scream artistic confusion(Kostornia even looked confusioned skating her LP) and Trusova is being badly pigeon holed with her music choices. The programs lack cohesiveness and intentionality. But the big unforgivable thing is all the new step sequences have lost their crisp musical intentionality and I find them lame, unmusical, and kind of random except for Zagitova's SP. They may be trying to skate bigger but it's a completely different style than before and I don't like it.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Discussing technical elements isn’t a crime, but unless a video purporting to show a miscalled element is taken from the TP’s perspective exactly, it’s relatively meaningless. You can certainly argue that the TP should have more camera angles on replay at their disposal, but right now they don’t. So they call what they see, and hopefully apply the same standards to all the skaters they’re judging that day.

When a fan analyzes an element by freezing frames from a grainy fan cam, a livestream, or a broadcast, and then proclaims that a blind person could see in real time that the edge should have been called an e or the jump was < or <<, it often sounds to me like that person has an agenda - usually to show that there is bias or incompetence or favoritism by the TP because a skater was “clearly” under scored or over scored.

Listen, there NEVER would be an angle/camera that would satisfy the fans of some skaters, even blatant flutzes/URs are being called 'flat' or 'outside'/fully rotated by some, whatever.
It's just the truth, some are blinded when they want to see what they want to see. A skater can be flutzing right into the camera in HD quality that being simlutaneously filmed by TimeWrap TV crew and there would be people arguing that "if we look at the blade and not the leg and if we turn or our eyes to the side and shake our heads really fast, it might kind of seem like it's flat or outside and I think that's how the TP sees it". We all have biases, I do too.

We can use what we see and judge with the available information, it's pretty sufficient to make some calls, and I don't need 300 camera angles in HD and super slow mo to see if something's under or has a wrong edge. Agree that some don't see it and they actually can't tell, and then there are some that don't want to see it.
The tech panel DOES have mistakes, or (and isn't this the favourite example of everyone) Medvedeva has the best lutz in the world.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Anna also had 73+ for her junior debut in Bratislava, but was lower by maybe a few tenths of a point if I'm remembering correctly. Alena and Sasha both debuted when backloading was still given a bonus and when GOE was scored out of 3, so it's harder to compare scores, but if I'm remembering correctly, neither broke 70 until JGPF and I don't think either of them broke 73 in their first season.

well, since it's over...

Right now Anna must be missing her junior days... :laugh2:
Seriously, I know it's Lombardia, but the scores are surprising :slink:

Ziotic

Medalist
well, since it's over...

I wonder how she will cope with this in the free. Will the lowish score spur her to a great skate and demotivate her to a flop.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
well, since it's over...

Now that the ladies short is over... did Anna have a mistake or something? Not only is her tech score low, but she has lower PCS than Tuktamysheva? (who is nice and has lovely jumps but isn't a performance-focused skater, and that's okay, but Anna should've beat her in PCS).

zounger

Medalist
I wonder how she will cope with this in the free. Will the lowish score spur her to a great skate and demotivate her to a flop.

I would had declare injury and leave. There is nothing she can win in this competition even if she does 5 quads.

Vandevska

U don't have to build the end of the world out it.
Medalist
Of everyone i watched today (both seniors and juniors) , Ksenia has the most convincing program for me. Though you don't get a lot out of her in terms of emotion. Congrats on both her and Kamila. It's the highlight of the day for me so far, and with Zhenya to follow today, Ksenia's skates and Kamila's quads tomorrow, it'll make for a wonderful weekend.