2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating | Page 171 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating

macy

Record Breaker
so sad to hear the news about Ting, but i am glad she is thinking long term, although she will need to come back strong next year in the lead up to 2022. i hope she hasn't pushed herself too hard.

lusterfan

Final Flight
so sad to hear the news about Ting, but i am glad she is thinking long term, although she will need to come back strong next year in the lead up to 2022. i hope she hasn't pushed herself too hard.

After seeing her surprise podium finish at JW last year, I developed lofty expectations for Ting in seniors. At her very best, I would even put her above Bradie & Mariah - her jumps are just as good (if not better) than Bradie's, and her artistry & presentation are as good as Mariah's. But alas I have been reminded to wait for the junior to senior transition to settle in before dreaming up a storm.

I hope she and her team have finally acknowledged the importance of recovery time and won't rush it. With proper rest and extra time to prepare for next season, she can come back reinvigorated for the next season! With how the Japanese ladies looked at Nationals, Bradie & Mariah definitely have a shot at bringing back a 3rd World spot...:roll9:

slider11

Medalist
I am a big Ting fan and was sorry to hear about her injury. These tiny girls endure such a pounding to their bones and joints.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
It’ll be so exciting and interesting to see who the fourth person on the US nationals ladies podium is. It’s vastly assumed that Bradie, Mariah and Alysa will make up 3 of those 4 podium spots, but who’ll be the 4th? Any bets?

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
It’ll be so exciting and interesting to see who the fourth person on the US nationals ladies podium is. It’s vastly assumed that Bradie, Mariah and Alysa will make up 3 of those 4 podium spots, but who’ll be the 4th? Any bets?

I never vastly assume things with competitions that have not been held yet.

theharleyquinn

Medalist

Amber Glenn has been skating very well this season, and she's gotten some great experience at her GP events. She's definitely in the mix with her current content.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Gracie. Yes, yes I know..but she's Gracie.

halulupu

Final Flight
Amber Glenn has been skating very well this season, and she's gotten some great experience at her GP events. She's definitely in the mix with her current content.
Hmm she hasn't skated a clean free since forever? Gracie of course will spoil the podium.she is after all the real thing

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Very nice USFS video of Hanna Harrell and her supportive mother speaking about Hanna's hard work and about her early interest in the sport:

(Lest anyone wonder: Most or all of it probably was recorded quite a while ago. The shots of them at the mall rink do not have holiday decorations.)

Go, Hanna. :yay:

:agree: Go, Amber. :yay:

Happy Holidays to all. :)

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I'm curious about Emily Zhang, who handily beat Gracie at Eastern Sectionals with a huge score of 197.88. She's currently on the entry list for Mentor Torun Cup
http://www.mentorcup.pl/entries

I'm surprised someone would compete in an event abroad two weeks before Nationals. I guess Rika and Yuzuru did, but these lesser known American skaters have great potential to get GP events next season if they do well. I think someone like Emily would aim to peak at Nationals.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
At her first senior international, Emily Zhang now will have the opportunity to earn TES minimums for ISU competitions, and to start earning points for ISU World Standings. :)

[IIRC, I think she has been added to the entry lists for Torun Cup only since yesterday. Same for Hawayek/Baker for dance.
I could swear that when I looked at the lists within the last day or so, there were (at the time) no U.S. entries shown.

When I looked a few minutes ago, USFS assignments page did not yet show any entries for Torun Cup.
And Emily was not yet listed on USFS ISP page.]

Go, Emily. :yay:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm surprised someone would compete in an event abroad two weeks before Nationals. I guess Rika and Yuzuru did, but these lesser known American skaters have great potential to get GP events next season if they do well. I think someone like Emily would aim to peak at Nationals.

Maybe she needs to get the TES minimums for 4CC......

frida80

Record Breaker
At her first senior international, Emily Zhang now will have the opportunity to earn TES minimums for ISU competitions, and to start earning points for ISU World Standings. :)

[IIRC, I think she has been added to the entry lists for Torun Cup only since yesterday. Same for Hawayek/Baker for dance.
I could swear that when I looked at the lists within the last day or so, there were (at the time) no U.S. entries shown.

When I looked a few minutes ago, USFS assignments page did not yet show any entries for Torun Cup.
And Emily was not yet listed on USFS ISP page.]

Go, Emily. :yay:

Sometimes skaters compete internationally on their own, without being assigned by USFS. I remember someone in novice did that last year.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Sometimes skaters compete internationally on their own, without being assigned by USFS. I remember someone in novice did that last year.

Per the Announcement (p. 6) for Mentor Torun Cup, "ISU Members must enter their competitors/couples and their substitutes via the electronic registration system at www.mentorcup.pl.
All competitors must be entered through their respective Member Federation/Association."

I believe that the same is true of all competitions that are included on the official ISU calendar.

But ... I do understand what you are talking about regarding U.S. skaters occasionally competing on their own at non-U.S. events.

I believe that an example was junior lady Jessica Lin from the U.S. competing at Kempen Trophy in Belgium in March 2019.

Kempen Trophy was not on the ISU calendar, and its Announcement did not include the language about needing to enter via the federation.

"The Kempen Trophy is an international interclub competition for single skating in the categories: Senior, Junior, Advanced Novice, Intermediate novice, Basic novice using the I.S.U. judging system."

"Clubs will be invited from all over the world."​

On the Kempen Trophy results page, Jessica's nation is listed as SCN [the meaning of which is not obvious to me?].

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Starr is another athlete that could be in the mix for those spots right near the podium. And Hanna is senior age-eligible this season.

Emily scored high at Sectionals. I wouldn't be surprised if she earned a late international there. Sometimes you take your opportunities where you can get them, and this is a good one for her. She's not established. This is an opportunity to do quite well in a small competition prior to Nationals. And if she does want to earn 4CC minimums, then it needs to be done before Nationals.

Chock & Bates and the Greens both went to Mentor Torun last season, and it helped set up both, frankly. Hawayek & Baker need another non-GP international if they want to maximize their WS points for this season. And while they are favorites for 3rd at Nationals, it is not guaranteed and would be smart to earn the points. Also, they've probably done some work since Cup of China and are probably looking for a shot at a better set up heading into Nationals. Either way, its a good idea. (Though it does mean competing against Kaliszek & Spodyriev at home).

gkelly

Record Breaker
On the Kempen Trophy results page, Jessica's nation is listed as SCN [the meaning of which is not obvious to me?].

It looks like the entries in the "Nat" column are abbreviations for the names of skating clubs, not nations, at this event.

https://www.facebook.com/DallasFSC/photos/a.567041720027359/2180177975380384/?type=1&theater

Dallas FSC Skater Jessica Lin earned the Silver medal in Junior Ladies at the Kempen Trophy in Belgium. She competed on the Skate Club of NY Team approved by the International Committee program.