Can Sasha pull a "Michelle Kwan" and get on the Olympic team? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Can Sasha pull a "Michelle Kwan" and get on the Olympic team?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
This is a federal law passed in the 1978 (full name now is Ted Stevens Olympic and Amateur Sports Act) that regulates NGBs in the U.S., and provides certain legal protections to athletes. .

YAY Uncle Ted! :clap::clap:

MKFSfan

Medalist
1st of all, the Olympic selection process has since been amended, in part due to the Harding fiasco and in part to declare Nationals NOT an Olympic qualifier (to keep television rights under USFSA control, I believe.) Second of all, the current selection process list has been shared, and Nationals is no longer the only weight carrying competition. I believe Nationals IS the most important factor, but no longer the only one. For example, say Evan finished 4th. He is the reigning World and GPF Champion. No way is he left off the team. That's just an exaggerated example, but you get my drift,

janetfan

Match Penalty
1st of all, the Olympic selection process has since been amended, in part due to the Harding fiasco and in part to declare Nationals NOT an Olympic qualifier (to keep television rights under USFSA control, I believe.) Second of all, the current selection process list has been shared, and Nationals is no longer the only weight carrying competition. I believe Nationals IS the most important factor, but no longer the only one. For example, say Evan finished 4th. He is the reigning World and GPF Champion. No way is he left off the team. That's just an exaggerated example, but you get my drift,

What if Evan finished 6th?
Does Evan even have to compete?

MKFSfan

Medalist
I am not defending this rule. I am just stating the reasons for the change. Personally, I think USFSA will send #1 and 2 regardless, but the amended the rule for a reason.

To answer your question, yes, I think Evan will be on the team even if he places 6th as long as both Jeremy and Johnny are already on the podium.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I am not defending this rule. I am just stating the reasons for the change. Personally, I think USFSA will send #1 and 2 regardless, but the amended the rule for a reason.

To answer your question, yes, I think Evan will be on the team even if he places 6th as long as both Jeremy and Johnny are already on the podium.

Let's hope Evan has a good competition then and spares US Skating and himself from major embarrasment :yes: :)

gsrossano

Final Flight
Governing rule from current roolbook.

D. U.S. Figure Skating Olympic Team Selection Process:
Selections in each discipline for the U.S. Olympic Team will be nominated to the United States Olympic Committee by U.S. Figure Skating’s
International Committee, taking into consideration the results of events in the following order of importance:
1. Current U.S. Figure Skating Championships
2. Most recent senior Grand Prix Final
3. Most recent World Figure Skating Championships
4. Most recent Four Continents Figure Skating Championships
5. Most recent World Junior Figure Skating Championships
6. Most recent ISU Junior Grand Prix Final
Skaters meeting the above criteria who did not compete or complete competition in the current U.S. Figure Skating Championships due to injury or
illness, verified by U.S. Figure Skating personnel, may be considered for selection. In addition, U.S. Figure Skating medical personnel must verify
that the athlete(s) will be physically ready to compete at the Olympic Games. The complete USOC approved Team Selection procedures will be
posted on the U.S. Figure Skating web site at www.usfigureskating.org.

gsrossano

Final Flight

If Nationals were declared the Olympic qualifier, USOC would own ALL rights to Nationals and they would have to be held under USOC rules. That is why the rule is written to say that U.S. Nationals is not the only consideration for picking the team. But there is a bit of a wink and a nod there. The reality is that the order of finish at Nationals determines the team except for extraordinary circumstances -- like a sure winner is injured.

And, way, he is left off the team if he ends up in 4th due to nothing but a bad skate.

MKFSfan

Medalist
Thanks! I thought it was more than television rights.

I do believe the order at Nationals will determine the team except for some pretty obvious reasons. I think Evan and B/A are the only sure things to be in Vancouver (knocking on wood I didn't just jinx their health!). Every other spot is open to whoever pulls it off at Nationals.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I don't think Tanith and Ben will just be kept on the team if they skate, I think they could win a bye if they had to withdraw due to injury/illness...

Sylvia

Record Breaker
The complete USOC approved Team Selection procedures will be posted on the U.S. Figure Skating web site
Here's the direct link to the original 37 page PDF file that was posted on the USFS site in 2008, titled "U.S. Figure Skating Athlete Selection Procedures - 2010 Winter Olympic Games - June 10, 2008" (not sure if there will be an updated version published, but I will check): http://www.usfigureskating.org/cont... WOG FSK Athlete Selection Procedures web.pdf
Excerpts:
To field the most competitive team, U.S. Figure Skating's ICMS [International Committee Management Subcommittee] will take into consideration results from the events outlined below to determine athletes who will have the most performance impact at the 2010 Winter Olympic Games. The ICMS, and the International Committee's approval process of the ICMS' recommendations, will take into consideration placement and competitive field at the the following events in priority order:
a. 2010 U.S. Figure Skating Championships [Jan. 2010]
b. 2009/10 ISU Senior Grand Prix Final [Dec. 2009]
c. 2009 World Figure Skating Championships [Mar. 2009]
d. 2009 Four Continent Figure Skating Championships [Feb. 2009]
e. 2009 World Junior Figure Skating Championships [Mar. 2009]
f. 2009/10 ISU Junior Grand Prix Final [Dec. 2009]
Under the "Discretionary Selection (if applicable)" section:
It has been the experience of U.S. Figure Skating that the athletes who have had success at the international and Olympic level are those who have demonstrated consistent performances as opposed to the athletes who have only a single great performance. Therefore, by not having the selection process based solely on one event, U.S. Figure Skating can select the best athletes to represent the United States at the 2010 Winter Olympic Games. In addition, if there is injury or illness that would prevent a dominant athlete from competing at one of the six events listed above, the petition process allows U.S. Figure Skating to select the best possible representatives for the 2010 Winter Olympic Games.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Here's the direct link to the original 37 page PDF file that was posted on the USFS site in 2008, titled "U.S. Figure Skating Athlete Selection Procedures - 2010 Winter Olympic Games - June 10, 2008" (not sure if there will be an updated version published, but I will check): http://www.usfigureskating.org/cont... WOG FSK Athlete Selection Procedures web.pdf
Excerpt:

And yet reading that it seems incomprehensible that Johnny was not selected to the US Natl team last season.

Why do you suppose that was?

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Governing rule from current roolbook.

D. U.S. Figure Skating Olympic Team Selection Process:
Selections in each discipline for the U.S. Olympic Team will be nominated to the United States Olympic Committee by U.S. Figure Skating’s
International Committee, taking into consideration the results of events in the following order of importance:
1. Current U.S. Figure Skating Championships
2. Most recent senior Grand Prix Final
3. Most recent World Figure Skating Championships
4. Most recent Four Continents Figure Skating Championships
5. Most recent World Junior Figure Skating Championships
6. Most recent ISU Junior Grand Prix Final
Skaters meeting the above criteria who did not compete or complete competition in the current U.S. Figure Skating Championships due to injury or
illness, verified by U.S. Figure Skating personnel, may be considered for selection. In addition, U.S. Figure Skating medical personnel must verify
that the athlete(s) will be physically ready to compete at the Olympic Games. The complete USOC approved Team Selection procedures will be
posted on the U.S. Figure Skating web site at www.usfigureskating.org.

Thanks for posting. So that is where Ashley got to big idea that being at the GPF would give her such a heads up over the other ladies. Interesting that the GP does not count. So Racheal's spectacular almost win over Yu-na will be ignored.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
And yet reading that it seems incomprehensible that Johnny was not selected to the US Natl team last season.

Why do you suppose that was?

the "new rule" wasn't going to take affect until THIS season. IIRC.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Thanks Sylvia for reposting the rule that should clear up the confusion.

Last edited:

gsrossano

Final Flight
The document referred to by Sylvia is a one-time document that USFSA was required to provide USOC to explain U.S. Figure Skating's method of selecting the Olympic team to demonstrate to USOC that USFSA was in compliance with USOC rules in selecting the team. The paragraph quoted by Sylvia (hello Sylvia!) is to provide a plausible reason why U.S. Nationals is not an Olympic qualifying event, and thus protect the economic value of Nationals to U.S. Figure Skating. (It will not be revised again until/unless USOC asks for an update for the 2014 Olympic team, probably no sooner than 2012.)

USFSA is walking a razors edge between wanting to have Nationals the main selection competition and yet not allowing it to become a USOC property. All the rules and documents are written in that context. This subject comes up frequently at Governing Council (where I have been a delegate for more than 10 years) and the issue is always about protecting Nationals from USOC and yet also basing the teams on the results from Nationals.

Whenever the subject comes up at GC, the athletes are overwhelmingly in favor in having the order of finish at Nationlas be the sole deciding factor in naming the team. IIRC the athletes at one point even proposed a rule to that effect, but it was turned down because of the USOC rights issue.

This is one of those issues where what the rules and documents say, and what they actually mean (and how they are applied) aren't exactly the same.

I have been watching the International committee select teams for over 20 years and the only times I recall they have ever departed from order of finish is when injury is involved to a top ranked skater -- and that is ever more true today than it was in the past.

Last edited:

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
It looks like the rule requiring that skaters petition to be put on the World or Oly team (which Johnny did not do) has been eliminated. I wonder if the new rule was adopted, in part, to insure that what happened with Johnny didn't happen again?

Sylvia

Record Breaker
It looks like the rule requiring that skaters petition to be put on the World or Oly team (which Johnny did not do) has been eliminated.
No, it's still there (page 4). (Hi gsrossano! By "updated version," I specifically meant that the current International Committee members list is outdated.)

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I really hope Sasha doesn't show up at nats. No offense to her or her skating, but she already had her turn and there are already enough girls competing for the 2 spots.

Plus I doubt Sasha could have a repeat of 2006 and win Olympic silver again this year considering the field and that she's injured and hasn't competed in 4 years. Assuming Yuna wins (and I don't think Sasha would ever be able to beat her), Sasha would have to beat Miki, Mao, Joannie, Carolina - ALL of them, which I don't see happening. So why even go?