Can Sasha pull a "Michelle Kwan" and get on the Olympic team? | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Can Sasha pull a "Michelle Kwan" and get on the Olympic team?

MKFSfan

Medalist
No kidding...I didn't say Sasha should aim to get to 200. I was trying to imply 200 seems to be the "6.0" mark these days (and that will change as skaters evolve in the future, with quads and 3a combos!).

I brought that up because Sasha's 2005-06 LP would most likely have her in the 170's range. Seems like total scores in the 170's are considered average skates. So far, Yu-Na, Miki, and Joannie have broken the 180 mark this season. Rachael may have had she not had her last spin eliminated at SA. Mao is quite capable of high scores, but has struggled this season. Same for Carolina for the last two seasons-reached 180's at Worlds 2008. I don't think any American Lady has been in the mid 180's since Kimmie and Sasha did in 2006. I'm not sure they would still be in the 180 range with the adjustments that have been made since then-"e" calls, stricter UR calls and one less spin in the LP had those programs higher scored-MAYBE Kimmie's, because her total was 189+.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
No kidding...I didn't say Sasha should aim to get to 200. I was trying to imply 200 seems to be the "6.0" mark these days (and that will change as skaters evolve in the future, with quads and 3a combos!).

I brought that up because Sasha's 2005-06 LP would most likely have her in the 170's range. Seems like total scores in the 170's are considered average skates. So far, Yu-Na, Miki, and Joannie have broken the 180 mark this season. Rachael may have had she not had her last spin eliminated at SA. Mao is quite capable of high scores, but has struggled this season. Same for Carolina for the last two seasons-reached 180's at Worlds 2008. I don't think any American Lady has been in the mid 180's since Kimmie and Sasha did in 2006. I'm not sure they would still be in the 180 range with the adjustments that have been made since then-"e" calls, stricter UR calls and one less spin in the LP had those programs higher scored-MAYBE Kimmie's, because her total was 189+.

Caroline just missed at WTT last season. I think she scored 179. Rachael was about 175 and Joannie about 183. Mao did crack the 200 barrier and many complained the scores were inflated at WTT.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Nobody but Yu-na and maybe Mao will hit 200. All the other "medal contenders" Joannie, Miki, Racheal, Akikio, Korpi, Kostner etc have not been getting scores anywhere near 200 this season.

Yeah, but Joannie and Miki got pretty close to 200 last year at worlds, and have had scores in the high 180s to 190s before worlds last year too. Same goes fro Kostner though she is an absolute headcase so she could finish anywhere from 2nd to 20th. Miki got a 185 at the GPF and she didn't even perform very well.

Korpi is not an OM contender anyway....don't know why people think she is.... Did you mean Lepisto? Neither can be counted on to land more than 3-4 triples in the free but where Laura Lepisto is European champ she seems to be getting pretty good scores recently (meaning 160s-170s.....NOT near 200).

Rachael is capable of getting a 180 if she hits all her jumps and makes her last spin count. She maybe could even mess up a jump because scores seem to get higher as the season goes on (she got 173 last year at worlds even after her 3-3 was downgraded to a 3-1). Akiko SHOULD be able to get scores of 180+ but her PCS is still low for some reason.