2014-15 NBC TV schedule: GPs/GPF; Nats; Euros; 4 Continents; Worlds | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2014-15 NBC TV schedule: GPs/GPF; Nats; Euros; 4 Continents; Worlds

ice coverage

Record Breaker
A 2014-15 schedule combining both NBC broadcast listings and Universal Sports listings is in a USFS press release today:

I have updated the NBC listings in the OP -- with the new times for Skate Canada International, the GPF, and the Apr 12 broadcast of Worlds.

Thought:
Is it unusual that the schedule in the press release includes zero Universal Sports coverage of Skate America??? :think:
For other GPs, Universal Sports is showing Men's and Ladies SPs, Pairs FS, and FD.​

(10/2/14) - NBC Sports Group, Universal Sports Network and U.S. Figure Skating announced today the broadcast schedule for the 2014-15 figure skating season. NBC Sports Group will broadcast more than 30 hours of coverage throughout the season, including 13.5 hours of live and taped coverage of the seven-event ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Series, 9.5 hours of live and taped coverage of the 2015 Prudential Figure Skating Championships and same-weekend coverage of the 2015 World, Four Continents and European championships. Universal Sports will also broadcast 37 hours of live and delayed coverage of the Grand Prix Series and ISU championship events.

NBC will kick off its Grand Prix Series coverage from 2014 Hilton HHonors Skate America, which is set for Oct. 24-26 in Chicago. NBC will broadcast live from Sears Centre from 4-6 p.m. (ET) Sunday, Oct. 26. The Grand Prix Series concludes in mid-December with the 2014 Grand Prix Final from Barcelona, Spain. Team USA will be represented in each discipline at each of the six Grand Prix Series events leading up to the Grand Prix Final.

NBC's three-day broadcast window for the U.S. Championships features live coverage of each discipline, including the ladies free skate in primetime the night of Saturday, Jan. 24. The U.S. Championships will return to Greensboro, North Carolina, for a second time (2011). �The 2015 Smucker's Skating Spectacular will conclude the U.S. Championships and air the following weekend on NBC.

NBC will provide five hours of coverage of the ISU World Figure Skating Championships, which are set for March 23-29 in Shanghai, including two hours in primetime from 8-10 p.m. (ET) Saturday, March 28 and delayed coverage from 1-4 p.m. (ET) on Sunday, April 12.

In addition to television coverage on NBC and Universal Sports Network, icenetwork will feature live and on-demand streaming of every skater in every discipline from more than 20 senior-level events throughout the season on a subscription basis. The multi-platform coverage of figure skating will provide fans more access to follow the sport than ever before.

noskates

Record Breaker
I completely agree. I was considering subscribing to Universal Sports for the sole purpose of seeing these figure skating events on television, but I'm not even sure it's worth the extra $14/month for me. I might consider IceNetwork instead.
The Universal broadcasts aren't filled out yet. I had Universal last year and you almost always see the top 20 competitors in a discipline. If you want to see below the top 20 - Good Luck! That will most likely never happen on any broadcast station. I was able to tape all of the competition as it's generally aired "live!"

I wouldn't waste money on the Ice Network unless you have a high speed computer (I've mentioned this before) The constant buffering made me crazy and the programs were so disjointed it wasn't worth it.

I will definitely add Universal to my cable package for the duration of the skating season.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Also if you do not live in America

DO NOT GET ICE NETWORK!!

I unfortunately had to learn that the hard way :cry::cry:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Thanks, Golden, for all your work here. The 20th year anniversary issue of International Figure Skating Magazine has a great 10 page history of the last 20 years of figure skating. At one time, it was the second most watched TV sporting programing, second only to the NFL. In 1995, 1 million people turned out to attend Tom Collins Tour of World Figure Skating Champions in 60 US cities. In 1994, 20 million of the 58 million French folk watched the Ladies final on TV of the Olympics. In 2001, at the Worlds in Vancouver,there were 9,000 people attending some of the practices , according to Plushenko. ....

(ref Icenetwork) It has come a long way. I feel that while it still has a ways to go for us slower "high speed" internet users to allow better buffering and especially to make the user interface more friendly, the concept of being able to download an event and play it on ones big screen TV is valid. When they set it up to where I can go to an easy to use index, download the entire event, and watch it on my big screen using DVR type controls (fast forward, back, skip ahead, slow motion, etc, It will be the future.

A 2014-15 schedule combining both NBC broadcast listings and Universal Sports listings is in a USFS press release today:

I have updated the NBC listings in the OP -- with the new times for Skate Canada International, the GPF, and the Apr 12 broadcast of Worlds.

Thought:
Is it unusual that the schedule in the press release includes zero Universal Sports coverage of Skate America??? :think:
For other GPs, Universal Sports is showing Men's and Ladies SPs, Pairs FS, and FD.​

(10/2/14) - NBC Sports Group, Universal Sports Network and U.S. Figure Skating announced today the broadcast schedule for the 2014-15 figure skating season. NBC Sports Group will broadcast more than 30 hours of coverage throughout the season, including 13.5 hours of live and taped coverage of the seven-event ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Series, 9.5 hours of live and taped coverage of the 2015 Prudential Figure Skating Championships and same-weekend coverage of the 2015 World, Four Continents and European championships. Universal Sports will also broadcast 37 hours of live and delayed coverage of the Grand Prix Series and ISU championship events.

NBC will kick off its Grand Prix Series coverage from 2014 Hilton HHonors Skate America, which is set for Oct. 24-26 in Chicago. NBC will broadcast live from Sears Centre from 4-6 p.m. (ET) Sunday, Oct. 26. The Grand Prix Series concludes in mid-December with the 2014 Grand Prix Final from Barcelona, Spain. Team USA will be represented in each discipline at each of the six Grand Prix Series events leading up to the Grand Prix Final.

NBC's three-day broadcast window for the U.S. Championships features live coverage of each discipline, including the ladies free skate in primetime the night of Saturday, Jan. 24. The U.S. Championships will return to Greensboro, North Carolina, for a second time (2011). �The 2015 Smucker's Skating Spectacular will conclude the U.S. Championships and air the following weekend on NBC.

NBC will provide five hours of coverage of the ISU World Figure Skating Championships, which are set for March 23-29 in Shanghai, including two hours in primetime from 8-10 p.m. (ET) Saturday, March 28 and delayed coverage from 1-4 p.m. (ET) on Sunday, April 12.

In addition to television coverage on NBC and Universal Sports Network, icenetwork will feature live and on-demand streaming of every skater in every discipline from more than 20 senior-level events throughout the season on a subscription basis. The multi-platform coverage of figure skating will provide fans more access to follow the sport than ever before.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Thanks for putting this together.

Yes, it's not as much as in the "good old days", but it's more than in recent years (and more than I thought there'd be).

NBC never covered Euros or 4CC except during an Olympic year so interesting to see them carrying it now. And prime time coverage of Worlds used to happen every year, many times on multiple nights. Wonder if NBC is trying to revive that tradition...

My only complaint is that I wish they would utilize NBCSN more for some of this coverage, particularly for Nationals. They could do SPs while the network does LPs (like ABC used to do with ESPN).

merrywidow

Record Breaker
Thanks, Golden for the lists. I'm a very happy fan of Universal Sports coverage of figure skating. For me, the monthly premium is well worth the additional coverage especially as I no longer can travel to attend live events.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
The Universal broadcasts aren't filled out yet. I had Universal last year and you almost always see the top 20 competitors in a discipline. If you want to see below the top 20 - Good Luck! That will most likely never happen on any broadcast station. I was able to tape all of the competition as it's generally aired "live!"

I wouldn't waste money on the Ice Network unless you have a high speed computer (I've mentioned this before) The constant buffering made me crazy and the programs were so disjointed it wasn't worth it.

I will definitely add Universal to my cable package for the duration of the skating season.

Huh, I didn't know that! I'll definitely look into Universal then.

But do you think Universal will show as much coverage as last year since this isn't an Olympic year and all?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Huh, I didn't know that! I'll definitely look into Universal then.

But do you think Universal will show as much coverage as last year since this isn't an Olympic year and all?

Again:
The 2014-2015 Universal Sports schedule is at the link in post #41 on the previous page of this thread.

lefeury

Rinkside
thank you golden411, I feel relieved that I am covered with NBC and Universal as my internet service doesn't allow live-streaming.

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
We got rid of cable TV and I don't subscribe to Ice Network, but fortunately someone on GS usually posts a link to live streams. Although I will probably miss out on Johnny and Tara commenting.
I just can't wait for the season to officially begin.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
2014-15 NBC BROADCAST Schedule (updated as of Oct 2)
(Schedule subject to change/All times Eastern/Check local listings)​

2015 Prudential U.S. Figure Skating Championships
  • Sat Jan. 24, 2015 ... 3-6 p.m. NBC (LIVE) Pairs FS and FD
  • Sat Jan. 24, 2015 ... 8-11 p.m. NBC (LIVE) Ladies FS
  • Sun Jan. 25, 2015 ... 4-6 p.m. NBC (LIVE) Men's FS
2015 Smucker’s Skating Spectacular
Sun Jan. 31, 2015 ... 2:30-4 p.m. ET NBC​

Breaking news ;):

NBC has ADDED two hours of preview coverage for Nats.

2015 Prudential U.S. Figure Skating Championships

May wonders never cease.

Last edited:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Sorry, maybe a question for the Stupid Questions Thread: What exactly is "preview coverage"?

Maybe it's replays from American skaters from NBC's earlier GP broadcasts? :confused:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Sorry, maybe a question for the Stupid Questions Thread: What exactly is "preview coverage"?

Maybe it's replays from American skaters from NBC's earlier GP broadcasts? :confused:

"Preview coverage" is just my paraphrasing of the USFS site's exact language, which is: "Preview Part I" and "Preview Part II."

I am not an NBC producer, but if I were, the so-called preview coverage would include -- but not be limited to -- edited file footage of podium contenders, not only from this year's GPs, but also from last season's Nats, Olympics, Worlds, etc.

I would program other types of segments as well. But that's just what li'l' ol' me would do. ;)

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Interesting...I wonder if they'll just replay old stuff or whether it's a true "pre-game" studio show. If it's the latter, I find it odd they'd hold it a week in advance (instead of that morning or afternoon, etc.)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Interesting...I wonder if they'll just replay old stuff or whether it's a true "pre-game" studio show. If it's the latter, I find it odd they'd hold it a week in advance (instead of that morning or afternoon, etc.)

OTOH, a week ahead perhaps would be a more effective timeframe to serve as promotion for the live coverage of the free skates and FD.

And/or ... perhaps NBC had more flexibility with the previous weekend's broadcast schedule. Presumably two hours of programming had to be cancelled for the sake of the skating preview hours.

In any case, I hope NBC will have the sense/budget not to just mindlessly replay huge chunks of old stuff.
For example, some educational material re basic rules and scoring would be among the types of segments that I would like to see within the so-called preview coverage.

Last edited:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
In any case, I hope NBC will have the sense/budget not to just mindlessly replay huge chunks of old stuff.

I suppose we won't know until it airs, but my money's on a huge chunk of old replays -- possibly with a few minutes of 'new' audio with Weir/Lipinski discussing the contenders going in. Essentially just a recap of the season (and maybe the past couple years) for the American skaters who are competing at Nationals.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I suppose we won't know until it airs, but my money's on a huge chunk of old replays -- possibly with a few minutes of 'new' audio with Weir/Lipinski discussing the contenders going in. Essentially just a recap of the season (and maybe the past couple years) for the American skaters who are competing at Nationals.

To me, a recap of the season (for U.S. skaters) does not have to be synonymous with "a huge chunk" of old replays in raw form, if that is what you mean.

An intelligent recap of the season would use selective footage -- edited as necessary -- to give value-added bkgd for viewing Nats.
The cumulative amount of old video would be significant, but it would be sliced and diced and re-packaged in a meaningful way.

Example #1: Instead of a replay of Skater A's complete free skate from one GP, a pair of snippets of Skater A completely messing up Element Y at GP #1, but then performing it beautifully at GP #2. Better yet would be the addition of a soundbite from Skater A or the coach explaining what went wrong the first time and how the problem was solved.

Example #2: A video comparison of how last season's music for Skater B is completely different in character than this season's ... with a a soundbite from skater or coach that explains why this season's was chosen, and talks about the choice for or against lyrics.

Example #3: A fluff piece with relevant video about Josh Farris's eventful year since Boston Nats -- performing as an audience favorite on the SOI tour; enduring the rehab regimen for his injury; figuring out what the heck happened at his GP; and going for the podium in Greensboro.

But as I mentioned before, this kind of preview would require a production budget from NBC. I don't know whether that would be realistic or not.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I wouldn't get expectations up too high. It's probably going to be more focused on replays, discussion and fluff.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
I wouldn't get expectations up too high. It's probably going to be more focused on replays, discussion and fluff.

What else could it be?

I'd actually be perfectly fine with discussion and fluff, as long as it's presented in a fresh way. Same with brief replays or mini-clips accompanied by meaningful (new) commentary. Anything but a repackaged collection of old footage, please.