2014-2015 US Sectionals General Info | Golden Skate

2014-2015 US Sectionals General Info

Nirti

Medalist
How many skaters are qualified from sectionals to nationals? 4 in each category? And who's already qualified? Skaters with international assignments I think? :)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
That's correct. The top 4 in each discipline at Regionals, skaters participating at international events whose dates conflict with Sectionals, and skaters who prequalified at last year's Nationals by placing high enough there do not have to compete at Sectionals.

I am a little misty about these rules. Whether it is the top 5 or top six from last year's Nationals is unclear to me. And I am not sure whether the Junior champion gets a by to Seniors or not.

Last edited:

gkelly

Record Breaker
http://usfigureskating.org/Events.asp?id=490

In general, skaters qualify for the U.S. Championships in one of six ways:

Placing in the top four at the current season's sectional championships
Placing in the top five in a senior event at the previous year's U.S. Championships
Winning a medal at the most recent Olympic Winter Games
Winning a medal at the previous year's World Championships
Advancing to the current season's Grand Prix Final or Junior Grand Final
Earning an "international bye" based on proximity of an international assignment in the current season to the sectional championships

How skaters qualify for sectionals doesn't seem to be spelled out all in one place, but several different rules in the rulebook. Basically, it's skaters who

placed top 4 at regionals
elected not to compete at regionals if there were 4 or fewer competitors
had an international assignment that conflicted with their regionals
qualified for the JGP final
won sectionals the previous year at senior level

National champions at novice and junior levels the previous year still need to go through the qualifying process, but if they stay at the same level they skip regionals and start at sectionals. If they move up to junior or senior, singles skaters need to go through the whole process starting at regionals, unless they get a bye because of international conflicts/results.

(National champions at juvenile and intermediate are required to move up and start at regionals.)

All pairs and dance teams start at sectionals.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Curious. Does it specify individual medal in the qualifiers? I.e. will the medal winners from the team event all be allowed to show up if they want?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes, I wondered about that too.

That could (potentially) give Ashley, Gracie, Jason, Jeremy, and (for sure) D&W a bye to every Nationals through 2018. And potentially Castelli & Shnapir, if they reunite.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
All sectional events will be livestreamed on icenetwork this year, rather than uploaded much later.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I will be there tomarrow afternoon at the Pacific Coast Secs....I will try and wave at the camera...look for the red and black motorcycle jacket! LOL!

All sectional events will be livestreamed on icenetwork this year, rather than uploaded much later.