2014 Sochi Olympics: A Year After | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2014 Sochi Olympics: A Year After

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Let's not say sore losers but....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvXS8lO00MU On one hand they say Marina pours her heart and soul, and then contradicts it by saying that there wasn't the support. :laugh2:

I've found it difficult to enjoy V/M's performances in the same way since Sochi based on the way they have conducted themselves post-Olympics. They always seem to be speaking out of both sides of their mouth, contradicting themselves, visibly sour over a silver medal win, and constantly throwing their coach under a bus.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've found it difficult to enjoy V/M's performances in the same way since Sochi based on the way they have conducted themselves post-Olympics. They always seem to be speaking out of both sides of their mouth, contradicting themselves, visibly sour over a silver medal win, and constantly throwing their coach under a bus.

Whoa. I hadn't seen that. That interview had an element of underhandedness to it. It doesn't show them in their best light.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
In any case Russian team legitimately deserve their team medal even if the team PCS were wildly inflated (It is like having a Russia National right before the World Championship a few days earlier with the same panel of judges), and Plushy is just being his legendary self (good and bad). The fact he had withdrawn from Men's single event imo has alot to do with the judging results in the ladies. If he have stayed for the event on his feet, I am 90% certain he would have won the event, and there might be a different pressure on the judges for the ladies event.

I think Plushy could have won a bronze medal. Hanyu's SP scores were incredible high...

And if Plushy didn't go to Sochi probably you remains disappointed, because Voronov was the first reserve skater. I read it in a Russian article. Everybody was talking about Kovtun but that was the result of Tarasova's policy....

Last edited:

RABID

Final Flight
When you compare how D&W reacted in interviews to V&M's win in Vancouver to V&M's loss in Sochi... yes they were sore losers.

It's always funny to see people end posts with things like "end of story" as if their point of view is indisputable and totally right with something as subjective as this topic of conversation. :rolleye:

Re-watch David Lease's TSL, Olympic Ice Dance re-cap..... "end of story" indeed.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Olympics as a whole were pretty bad for the US. Several "sure to repeat" winners in all disciplines fell apart (mainly speed skaters in the "controversial" suit) and there was that exciting hockey game that everyone was so excited about vs. Russia--and neither team wound up in medal contention.

But, coming back on topic:

Good:
1. Meryl and Charlie's win. It wasn't unexpected or surprising, but it was sweet.
2. Level of skating with the ladies. There would be no controversy if those in 2nd-5th were awful. It's better to complain about the results when it's between several good skates instead of several bad skates.

Bad:
1. Level of skating with the men, specifically the long program. Was it because of the exhaustion of the team competition? Or was this bunch of guys just not that great?

So Bad it's funny:
1. Patrick Chan. I never could stand him, and I can't say I was sorry to see him lose in a splat fest to someone who also fell twice.

2. Evgeni Plushenko. Taking someone's spot then dropping out. Poor--who was it, Maxim Kovtun?

3. Sore losers. I hope V and M and Yuna Kim's silver medal didn't cancel out the happiness they got with their previous gold medals. Because neither of them were as good the second time around.

I don't think Yuna was a sore loser, either. She handled the disappointment gracefully. Her fans, now that's another story.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I bow down to Plushy, Yuna, and V/M, for skating so well under the circumstances. :bow: They were all highlights for me. Spots, rabid fans, interview answers? It all pales in comparison to their dedication to the sport.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
But I remember TSL saying Plushenko was a bad sport because he didn't withdraw and give his spot to Kovtun in the singles' event.

Well, I no wonder if they said that. They are Plushy haters. I tell a story:

I think about 2 years ago the man( I forgot his name) wrote on his blog many stupid lies about Plushenko. For example after 2006 Plushy received exclusive tax benefit from Putin and so on.. Putin likes Plushy he brought so many glories for Russia, but those weren't true. Some Plushenko fans corrected him on his blog, but he deleted the posts. When the fans mentioned this he said he didn't recognize them, he didn't delete them, but the messages were read again.:slink:
The angry Plushenko fans wrote him some "sincere" :agree: opinions about his FS knowledge. And it seems they had hard opinion again but they didn't know the facts. That would have been great if they knew the ISU rules or the IOC rules in this matter .... If anybody acts as a journalist it duty to gain accurate informations.

kiara_bleu

On the Ice
I bow down to Plushy, Yuna, and V/M, for skating so well under the circumstances. :bow: They were all highlights for me. Spots, rabid fans, interview answers? It all pales in comparison to their dedication to the sport.

And these four people continued to be dominant and relevant in their fields for most of their competitive years. You don't push yourself to the top of your sport and try to hold on to that spot unless you have a supreme belief in yourself. If that somehow spills over to arrogance or to less than ideal reaction to losses, think about what kind of mentality it takes to continue further (despite the personal sacrifices and pain) even when you have already achieved the highest level of your sport.

JenFinFan

Rinkside
Meryl and Charlie stink! Worst heist of an Olympic Gold Medal I have ever seen. Virtue and Moir were also robbed of the Grand Prix final leading into the games. Davis and White should not have even made top ten in their careers. Worst skaters I have ever seen.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
Meryl and Charlie stink! Worst heist of an Olympic Gold Medal I have ever seen. Virtue and Moir were also robbed of the Grand Prix final leading into the games. Davis and White should not have even made top ten in their careers. Worst skaters I have ever seen.

I love this forum.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh my, someone must be having a snowday, and is using it as an opportunity to play on the internet without Mom's permission.

Honey, this is a grown-up forum. Be a sweet child and go watch Nickelodeon.

JenFinFan

Rinkside
Follow your own advice. Just because someone doesn't bow down to the horrendous Davis and White does not make my opinion any less valid. You honestly think think everyone is an agreement with the ice dance heist? Ha!

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Um, what exactly do you base your utter contempt for Davis/White on? :confused:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

You're acting really immature right now.

salchowx4

On the Ice
Well, I no wonder if they said that. They are Plushy haters. I tell a story:

I think about 2 years ago the man( I forgot his name) wrote on his blog many stupid lies about Plushenko. For example after 2006 Plushy received exclusive tax benefit from Putin and so on.. Putin likes Plushy he brought so many glories for Russia, but those weren't true. Some Plushenko fans corrected him on his blog, but he deleted the posts. When the fans mentioned this he said he didn't recognize them, he didn't delete them, but the messages were read again.:slink:
The angry Plushenko fans wrote him some "sincere" :agree: opinions about his FS knowledge. And it seems they had hard opinion again but they didn't know the facts. That would have been great if they knew the ISU rules or the IOC rules in this matter .... If anybody acts as a journalist it duty to gain accurate informations.

I wouldn't worry much about what Dave Lease has to say. He is basically a gossip columnist. Some truth, some falsehoods make their way through as is the always the case with gossip that spreads from person to person. A smart person ignores his kind.

Status
Not open for further replies.