2015-16 Grand Prix Final Pairs SP | Page 19 | Golden Skate

2015-16 Grand Prix Final Pairs SP

andromache

Record Breaker
Out of curiosity, why do Stolbova/Klimov have such a weak twist when it's one of V/T's best elements? And hasn't Nina Mozer worked with T/M as well, and their twist is also great. I know nothing about twist techniques....

sses1

On the Ice
Out of curiosity, why do Stolbova/Klimov have such a weak twist when it's one of V/T's best elements? And hasn't Nina Mozer worked with T/M as well, and their twist is also great. I know nothing about twist techniques....

Actually Stanislav Morozov is the one who worked with V/T and T/M to get their fabulous twists. For S/K, well Ksenia has an insane delay on her twist, meaning she is late to start the rotations and it makes the twist smaller therefore impacting the landing because she's basically still rotating when Fedor is suppose to catch her. Also their proportions make the twist a bit more difficult for them.

andromache

Record Breaker
Actually Stanislav Morozov is the one who worked with V/T and T/M to get their fabulous twists. For S/K, well Ksenia has an insane delay on her twist, meaning she is late to start the rotations and it makes the twist smaller therefore impacting the landing because she's basically still rotating when Fedor is suppose to catch her. Also their proportions make the twist a bit more difficult for them.

Thank you for the explanation!

kresslia

Medalist
Omg I'm so happy for S/B, I adore them more each time I see them. They're so much fun, they nailed that entire SP. I think they might be my favourite Canadians in any discipline, period.

I gotta admit, I enjoy watching pairs skating, but I've never really loved a pair for as long as I've been watching. There have been fantastic ones that I like to watch, like V/T, but nobody I've adored. S/B could change that for me if they keep it up, as V/M did in ice dance.

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
D/R were uninspiring. The key is that Radford is just an uninspiring skater - no harmony with Duhamel whatsoever. As for their higher base value, I think judges were generous to them. Their twist is tiny, yet got the higher base value than that of the Russians. And their pcs is too high vs. the Russians - S/K and K/S are just better pair skaters.

I don't know about that. I did agree with Tat earlier that he is indifferent to her but on second thought....not sure I blame him. He is IMO the strongest of the pair and he seems to be the shining star of the two. I'm not a big D/R fan and maybe I'm alone but he seems pretty solid across the board and brings as much of a top level game as anyone. As a pair though I find them a bit unconvincing. Just my opinion of course so it is what it is. He seems to clearly be a top level skater.

Ok Canadians....give it to me ;)

S/B today were my cup of tea. I don't follow pairs enough to know what to expect out of their FS but I'm looking forward to it.

Last edited:

sses1

On the Ice
I don't know about that. I did agree with Tat earlier that he is indifferent to her but on second thought....not sure I blame him. He is IMO the strongest of the pair and he seems to be the shining star of the two. I'm not a big D/R fan and maybe I'm alone but he seems pretty solid across the board and brings as much of a top level game as anyone. As a pair though I find them a bit unconvincing. Just my opinion of course so it is what it is. He seems to clearly be a top level skater.

Eric is the better skater. I have to watch him during those awful step sequences and I think he does a wonderful job with their Hometown Glory LP, especially in the opening choreo. Megan is a tremendous athlete but when her elements fall apart her skating becomes vulnerable. Overall, Eric is underrated for me.

andromache

Record Breaker

Not Canadian, but with this season's programs I get a really good sense of connection between Meagan and Eric. It isn't romantic, but there's a platonic connection that really speaks to me, and I find it more engaging than the utter lack of connection (IMO) between Ksenia and Fedor. Ksenia is a star, and Fedor seems like a wonderful partner. But I get nothing between them, even during sexy programs.

Of course, I totally get that people disagree, especially regarding D/R. If people don't see a connection and I do? That's fine! Detecting a connection between skaters is pretty subjective.

But I find it offensive that Russian commentators bring up Eric's sexuality and "blame" that for a perceived lack of connection. The fact that he is brave enough to be out and experts in the sport want to use that to criticize his performance really upsets me. As if he is the first gay pairs skater ever?? I doubt it. He just happens to be out.

Plus, a performance is a performance. Sexuality, sexual attraction, etc. have no bearing on a perceived connection between skaters. Period. Alexander Smirnov is MARRIED and he looks totally in love with Yuko on the ice. Is it because he's straight or a good performer?? Probably the latter.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not Canadian, but with this season's programs I get a really good sense of connection between Meagan and Eric. It isn't romantic, but there's a platonic connection that really speaks to me, and I find it more engaging than the utter lack of connection (IMO) between Ksenia and Fedor. Ksenia is a star, and Fedor seems like a wonderful partner. But I get nothing between them, even during sexy programs.

Of course, I totally get that people disagree, especially regarding D/R. If people don't see a connection and I do? That's fine! Detecting a connection between skaters is pretty subjective.

But I find it offensive that Russian commentators bring up Eric's sexuality and "blame" that for a perceived lack of connection. The fact that he is brave enough to be out and experts in the sport want to use that to criticize his performance really upsets me. As if he is the first gay pairs skater ever?? I doubt it. He just happens to be out.

Plus, a performance is a performance. Sexuality, sexual attraction, etc. have no bearing on a perceived connection between skaters. Period. Alexander Smirnov is MARRIED and he looks totally in love with Yuko on the ice. Is it because he's straight or a good performer?? Probably the latter.

I don't really know and I'm no pairs expert by any means. To me their lack of connection has little to do with any factors regarding sexuality but more to do with the way their programs are constructed. Blade to ice. I truly don't think their chemistry issues are related to any sexual preferences. He is just IMO on a different level and it seems to be more and more evident every time I watch them.

I hate to pick at someone but her air position on the SBS is really really bad. He seemed pretty stellar today and that seems to be pretty normal.

Last edited:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker

S/B today were my cup of tea. I don't follow pairs enough to know what to expect out of their FS but I'm looking forward to it.

First to samkrut. Sorry but I totally disagree--Radford actually is quite a good skater, with a lovely lyricism. The problem is one of oil & water styles, I think: his overt lyricism and her overt athleticism don't often blend. Plus--and this has nothing to do with his being gay--they have zero romantic chemistry together. I actually think their programs this year are the smartest they have done, because they aren't even pretending to be all coo coo lovey dovey. And they aren't pretending to be 'out of the box' and 'pushing the edge' like their unfortunately Alice in Wonderland program.

The fact remains that they depend on their tech scores to keep them on top, and when they have an off day with the tricks like they here, the program as a whole suffers for it.

On the other hand, this is the best SP I've seen S/B skate, and it was utterly charming.

S/K leave me cold. I can admire their abilities, but I just can't warm up to them. De gustibus etc.

Still watching programs. Bless you Mao.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I can't really get why S/K were so appreciated instead of K/V: apart from their obvious amazing speed, they had several technical flaws which were not punished by GOEs and the program itself gave nothing to me. She was there making faces and being "sexy", while he seemed lost in his thoughts on another planet... not really what you would call an effective pairing of styles :scratch2:
On the contrary, Kavaguti/Smirnov were fantastic, and clearly deserved the highest PE and IN scores of the night for sure. However I would say that they received what they deserved while it was Stolbova/Klimov's score that was extremely generous.
I will never find a result/score that fully satisfies me, I guess :gaah:

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria

:thumbsup: I totally agree.
I don't see a great connection between either Meagan and Eric or Ksenia and Fedor. Eric and Fedor both present their ladies very well and imho they don't get a chance to do more, because the ladies are the stars.And that's not what makes great pairs to me. There must be some sort of balance. Both are underrated but very successful with their partners, but I think the choreographers/trainers could do more for them.
Alexander is a great actor on the ice and he also seems to be a very caring partner, that's why the SP music works so well for them this season imho. It's a very romantic, cheesy love song and I get that they have at least a platonic, romantic friendship. And Yuko is far more outgoing in her performances than she ever was. They would be in the lead if they weren't running out of speed on that last spin and deservingly so.

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
anyone Spanish speaking here????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl1RPSU4bfI

Wanted to understand the gushing :biggrin: (well I undestood 'Bravo si senior!':laugh2:)

Agree with everyone above Eric IS the strongest in the pair.
Well, finally, D/R's PCS started go down in relation to the top tier contenders. Though the gap in every category of PCS between D/R and two Russian teams is so obvious you can see it from space. Should have been a whole 4-5 points lower. I also think on this occasion, their PCS should below both Yu/Jin and especially S/B. In fact, as of right now, S/B is the top Canadian team, IMO.

They better land those lutzes tomorrow if they even want to medal.
Canadian fed better hurry & up & get that S/B IS the future & check their priorities. Y/J & S/B totally should have had higher PCS!

Last edited:

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
With S/B's performance here, my hope that I/M would keep their status as Canadian #2 is diminishing (not that I don't like S/B, I do like them too). It looks like going into Nationals, it'll be D/R, S/B, I/M, MT/M.

Sabrina

Record Breaker

Wanted to understand the gushing :biggrin: (well I undestood 'Bravo si senior!':laugh2:)

I am not sure what you want to know...They talk about how good the skaters were, the levels (that they had level 2 for 3Tw and a spin). They are also praising the skaters as they look/act like being in their teens though they are 30 something.
I am not Spanish, but I understand Spanish quite well.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Eric is the better skater. I have to watch him during those awful step sequences and I think he does a wonderful job with their Hometown Glory LP, especially in the opening choreo. Megan is a tremendous athlete but when her elements fall apart her skating becomes vulnerable. Overall, Eric is underrated for me.

Agreed. He's one of the only male pairs skaters where he actually is an artistic partner, instead of just the guy who's there to lift and throw and present the lady. He's certainly more expressive than Fedor, and nicer lines and posture than Maxim or Hao.

With Meagan they're a great athletic pair, but I could only imagine what Eric could have done with someone with nicer lines like a Savchenko or Volosozhar (and Meagan's athletic ability).

Last edited:

gordana

On the Ice
Country
Russia

Well, my Spanish is a foreign language and deserves to be much better. But I'll try a bit, it's better than nothing.:laugh: :laugh2:
When introducing K/S commentator said that they are reigning European champions and the fifth in the last Wolrds. Before "Bravo si, senor" there was "Buenissimo" which means that it was the best for K/S.
They also said that the guys were spectacular, their step sequence and lift were extraordinary.

Spanish native speakers are very welcome to correct me:) and explain what the commentators meant saying that the throw was "brutal".

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Loved S/B! They were the cleanest SP (yet again), and frankly should be ahead of D/R. Here's hoping they can keep it together in the FS... maybe even medal (hah, that's a little too ambitious, but who knows -- often the GPF has bronze medalists who aren't expected to medal but they pull a Takahashi/Tran and are the cleanest and beat more popular teams with errors).

tulosai

Record Breaker
With S/B's performance here, my hope that I/M would keep their status as Canadian #2 is diminishing (not that I don't like S/B, I do like them too). It looks like going into Nationals, it'll be D/R, S/B, I/M, MT/M.

Honestly at this point I/M are in danger of being overtaken by MT/M. Both teams are unfortunately quite mediocre and have not really 'worked out' as much as many people hoped.

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
Well, my Spanish is a foreign language and deserves to be much better. But I'll try a bit, it's better than nothing.:laugh: :laugh2:
When introducing K/S commentator said that they are reigning European champions and the fifth in the last Wolrds. Before "Bravo si, senor" there was "Buenissimo" which means that it was the best for K/S.
They also said that the guys were spectacular, their step sequence and lift were extraordinary.

Spanish native speakers are very welcome to correct me:) and explain what the commentators meant saying that the throw was "brutal".
huge thanks!!:points:

Loved S/B! They were the cleanest SP (yet again), and frankly should be ahead of D/R. Here's hoping they can keep it together in the FS... maybe even medal (hah, that's a little too ambitious, but who knows -- often the GPF has bronze medalists who aren't expected to medal but they pull a Takahashi/Tran and are the cleanest and beat more popular teams with errors).
they CAN!
I at least will be rooting for them to get bronze!

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Honestly at this point I/M are in danger of being overtaken by MT/M. Both teams are unfortunately quite mediocre and have not really 'worked out' as much as many people hoped.

I don't think MT/M will overtake I/M since I/M had a much stronger competition at NHK than they did anytime earlier in the season, and Michael Marinaro struggles too much with lifts. It could be close, though.